Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I are just getting plans together to maybe do a 3 link in the back of his CJ-5. The plan is, so that we can move the rear axle back farther. To give him a little more d-shaft than what he has now. He runs a TH400 adapted to the Dana 20. First thing is: What would be the best coil to put in the back? It has a full width 14 bolt in the back. We know where we can get a hold of some rear TJ coils, but are those not strong enuff? Any help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
XJ front coils are what I am going to run. If you want more lift then the ZJ ones are 2" taller and might have a little more spring rate. You can cut off coils to adjust height also. If they end up to soft then they are the same OD as Ford front coils just the Ford coils have a larger wire dia. if you will so they are stiffer yet. So I am planning on getting some Junkyard XJ coils to start and go from there but I have some info that they will be right though. We will see.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have heard of people using ford aerostar rear coils and having decnet luck. Theres like 4 differant spring rates for them also.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I have heard the same but they also say they are too soft.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
I have stock XJ coils as well, course my junks still in pieces so I cant speak for how well they'll work on a 5...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Donno, theres like 6 differant versions of the coil.

Supposedly if you get the spring that has a trailer towing package and is the LWB version you are good to go.

They are not to espensive either new.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have heard that f150 coils are good to run oin the front...but as far as rear....I have heard TJ 2 inch lift

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Go with XJ or ZJ front coils, they are easy to come buy, you can buy them or just go to your local 4x4 shop and get some they took off something they put a lift on. That way when you brake/ sag the first ones it wont be so hard to find new ones.

Ryan

·
Registered
979 Posts
I ran stock XJ coils on my 99" CJ-5. Worked great. I had some RE 4" XJ coils that I tried also, but the spring rate was way high, even with a full toolbox and 20 gallons of fuel.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I ran stock ford ranger coils in the rear of mine. Spring rate matched very well with the front superlift springs in SOA. It didn't flex a ton, but would hold the off camber stuff extremely well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts