Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be the single best improvement to the dana 30 (besides swapping it for something else)? what are the toughest shafts u can get? are some r&ps stronger than others? im a newbie to the whole axle buildup thing.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
pyros46290 said:
what would be the single best improvement to the dana 30
Melting it down to scrap!:flipoff2:
The best build up I have seen is the build up of a scrap pile full of D30s and 35s.:D
They actually are not as bad as some axles (D35, AMC 20)
but they are very limiting. Axle shafts with 297x sized u-joints would be the first thing to take care of. A little vehicle info would be helpful, as there are several variations of the D30 that will determine the direction you need to take.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Save your money and buy a 44. It is not difficult to get a couple of grand $$$ into a D30 and all you have done is polish a turd.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I think superior just came out with alloy axles for the 30. You could use the alloy axles and CTM'S for a pretty strong combo. I ran 38.5sx's on mine for a year of hard trails and 2 compitition's with a few broken u-joints. And that was with stock spicer axles and u-joints.!! I think it is a good axle to start with untill you get money for bigger axles.Just my.02

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I think it is a good axle to start with untill you get money for bigger axles
Agree.
I'll be swapping out my Dana 35 rear before I start worrying too much about the 30 up front. :D

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Don't fawk with it, get a damn 44. All the upgrades are the same $$$.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
P. S.
SEARCH NEWBIE!! :flipoff2:

Wanderingwillys (i think) has a pretty INSANE lookin' d30 in his XJ.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
qwik question.... i gotta do a case change on this thing to get 4.10s so if a get a detroit that would be the case, right? i know how axles work but never tore one down and did any work on one besides changing the cover gasket while changin gear oil. i wanna get some experience with this thing before i start mashin on it for when sumthin does break ill be able to handle the situation.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Keith Strong said:
We need a :Chrome Turd: icon :rolleyes:
Should he polish a turd or, maybe, BORROW a set of REAL axles? :flipoff2:

Pyros- What front 30 do you have? Is it a high pinion from a YJ or XJ? What sized tires and what kind of wheeling?

If it is a HP it will do OK (for a while) with a set of TJ axle shafts with the bigger 297/760 u-joints. Or even better a set of alloy shafts with full clips.

Your 4.10 pinion is going to be a little bigger than a majic marker though. Yes the Detroit will replace the carrier.

If it is a standard low pinion don't waste too much time and $$. Start saving for something better suited to your needs.

Regardless you will probably soon get tired of breaking. Or your friends will get tired of waiting for you to fix and they'll start shitting on you every time they have to wait for you.

I hope that helps. If you searched a little you might not have found the answers you need but would have at least read all of these flames already.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
gnrrpreacher said:

Should he polish a turd or, maybe, BORROW a set of REAL axles? :flipoff2:

What do you think my answer would be? :rolleyes: :flipoff2:

Without Steve it would still be on jackstands

Sorry to hi jack the thread ;) My opinion go get a D44 for 150 from PnP .....you can easily spend more on a D30 to "beef" it up than you would putting a 44 in ;)

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Warn hub conversion, but for that amount of money you might very well find a decent Dana44 as well .........

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Keith Strong said:

My opinion go get a D44 for 150 from PnP .....you can easily spend more on a D30 to "beef" it up than you would putting a 44 in ;)
I am in the air on the whole hpD30 vs. standard 44 front. Yeah the r&p are smaller but atleast you are running on the correct side of the teeth.

At the same time I am sure he has width issues to consider.

Not to mention I only know of a drivers drop hp30 so if he's running a pass. drop he's fawked and should not even attempt to build it, IMO.

And if it is a drivers drop then why not run a Ford hp44? Except for the width issue and the fact that he already has it. Much better off that way.

I'm "building" a hp30 for my XJ but it is a daily driver/camping rig. My CJ on the other hand is getting the full hp60 treatment (not borrowed though, you lucky bastid, but aquired for $100 :flipoff2: ).

It really depends on what he plans on doing with the rig.

For fawks sake...how much $$ do you want to put into a mediocre, at best, axle?

I think we need more info.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Well, I am assuming its a CJ D30, low pinion pass side....cause its gonna be a straight axle on a GMC truck....but I guess we need to know for sure which side the pumpkin is ;)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i got the axle out of a boneyard and it is the high pinion non-disconnect axle with 3.55 ratio. i think thats an XJ... didnt see what it came out of and never ran the code on the axle. its on the front of my s10 with 4.3L that has a few bolt-ons so i think its got a lil more power than the jeep inline 6. in terms of weight i dont know how much heavier/lighter my truck is. im gonna run 33x13.50 swamper LTBs and i am aware that im gonna have to drive with a light foot. i got the stock 7.5" 10 bolt out back so this power/tire combo is gonna be the max for both axles. i agree with the bronco dana 44 but i got the 30 so i could just put it on without any mods with my solid axle kit. either way the 30 is better than the incredibly fukked suspension my s10 came with from the factory

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
:chrome turd: ;) Junk axle brutha. I say do the work and get yourself a 44 in there, better to do it now rather than do it again later ;) trust me :nuke:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts