Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We dont install too many 5th wheel hitches but when we do, my guys gripe about the bits. Is there a really good 1/2" bit out there or just keep using the mid priced ones and going throught them.

Yes, they have tried cutting oil, pilot holes and all the other tricks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
try a drill sharpener, or better yet lean how to hand sharpen.
have you tryed the gold color bits? i think there eather tin or cobalt coated.

·
Registered
450 Posts
http://hougen.com/cutters/sheetmetal/16000.html

Annular cutters for a standard drill chuck. Comes in 1/2" flavor. Going to be near $70 for that single bit. It'll get the job done.

For a 1/2" hole I would start with a size just larger than the web on the 1/2" bit. Use a split point for the pilot hole. Steady pressure and a good speed (I'd guess I'm around 1000rpm for pilot holes in metal), you should be getting ribbons with a sharp bit. Then move to the 1/2" bit, standard chisel tip will work fine. Slower speed (< 500rpm), and more pressure. I can never get ribbons with larger bits and hand drilling. But you should be getting decent sized chips, not fine particles. I use oil mostly for keeping the bit cool. I use the 40:1 dilution that the machine shop at work uses.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I like drilling a pilot hole and then using a unibit. it also helps in tight areas because it's relativly short and stay's centered.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Cobalt bits... ill never buy anything else.. thats not a brand name...

·
Registered
393 Posts
I just got one of those and was only moderately impressed with it.
It's better than buying new drill bits all the time though.
thats pretty much my point haha use it till its dull then resharpen.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
I use unibits/step bits(HF ones are just fine) for hard to drill shit. They eat through hardened plate when everything else just dulls.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
standard HSS American made machinist quality bits work best for me in mild steel.

for stainless steel, we use the house brand black and gold bits from Fastenal.

i get all of my other drills, taps, end mills, etc from www.wttool.com.

the biggest thing is keeping the RPM's low and the pressure high. watch the chips coming off the drill bit. if they are coming off with any kind of color (hand drilling), there is too much friction. slow down and more pressure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
standard HSS American made machinist quality bits work best for me in mild steel.

the biggest thing is keeping the RPM's low and the pressure high. watch the chips coming off the drill bit. if they are coming off with any kind of color (hand drilling), there is too much friction. slow down and more pressure.
Exactly what I was going to say.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Doubt there's going to be enough steel in the frame to hold the drill. I have a 1" plate in my toolbox that I clamp onto thinner stuff to give the magbase something to hold onto.
Ill tack a piece on a frame ect to clamp the drill too. alot easier than hand drilling. I use ours more than the drill press for holes over 1/2"

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Harbor Freight unibits, no oil, top speed, and an assload of pressure, rips right through, don't last especially long, but they're on sale for $4 every other week, just add $10 to whatever you charge your customers and it's all good.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,983 Posts
The HF step drills are surprisingly good. I bought 3 sets last year when they were on sale for $8.88, figured they would dull and burn up quick. Still on my first set and I have used them quite a bit. Usually "on sale" for around $10.
ITEM 91616
91616.gif

1 - 20 of 26 Posts