Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best groover on the market? I have a got four 46 inch XMLs to groove and I want this to go as smooth as possible. Any info would help. I have never had any experience with these things. I saw the article on grooving but I definitely wanted peoples opinion on what was the very best groover out there. thanx.

P.S> did a search and came up with more grooved tires than groovers themselves.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
buy a rillfit from meyerstiresupply.com (best price I found) You will not be disappointed. Best $400 you'll spend. You could buy the el-cheapo- it'll do a mediocre-at-best job if you use it in the summer and the tires are warm. With a rillfit you can do a pretty aggressive groove job (all lugs cut twice or more) in roughly 2 hours when it's 30* out and snowing! Use an el-cheapo in the winter and you'll be there for literal days.
jmo.

edit: 2 hours is for four tires.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
This might sound funy but a friend told me that he buys a cheap pizza cutter from the local supermarket, takes the wheel off and drills it out to fit his 4" grinder, slaps it on with a washer to fill the gap between the cutter and the nut that holds the wheel on, and then cuts away faster than most groovers...all for less than $5...
Haven't tried it or seen it, but trust that he isn't lieing about it...
Anyone ever tried this or anything similar?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
RedBullJeep said:
This might sound funy but a friend told me that he buys a cheap pizza cutter from the local supermarket, takes the wheel off and drills it out to fit his 4" grinder, slaps it on with a washer to fill the gap between the cutter and the nut that holds the wheel on, and then cuts away faster than most groovers...all for less than $5...
sorta :D i was cutting on my 44" boggers with a zawzall and i heard air :rolleyes: believe it or not i superglued it back together and it still working.
the cut was at a steep angle away from rotation .

not anything to do with this thread but what the hell:D

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
ya but it will still take longer than 2 hrs unless you are just cutting the lugs in half or something you will be there a while.......trust me.... I spent nearly 50 hrs

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
With the rillfit you can use blades from 1/8" for pinner grooves, up to 7/8" wide if you need to remove some serious rubber. Lots of sizes in between and round bottom or square.

Daniel: thanks for the referral!

·
Registered
70 Posts
RedBullJeep said:

Could you just use the regular old grinding wheel on the grinder or would it just make a big melted rubber mess:confused:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Howy Feltrsnatch said:

Could you just use the regular old grinding wheel on the grinder or would it just make a big melted rubber mess:confused:
That would smoke so much I dont think you could see what you were doing.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Just so' it's here to find with searches in the future:

I know it's been mentioned before, and were discussing grooving, not cutting whole lugs off... but if you need to remove a WHOLE lug from a tire (like cutting the little lugs off a bogger.) Just take a sawzall blade and your angle grinder... and sharpen the worn-out teeth into a knife edge. It'll cut like butter once it gets nice and hot. :)

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
just get the tire wet before you start. then you don't have to wait till it's hot.for example take a knife to a tire. hard as fawk to cut. now get it wet then try it. will cut "like butter"

·
Registered
70 Posts
RightPedal said:
Just so' it's here to find with searches in the future:

I know it's been mentioned before, and were discussing grooving, not cutting whole lugs off... but if you need to remove a WHOLE lug from a tire (like cutting the little lugs off a bogger.) Just take a sawzall blade and your angle grinder... and sharpen the worn-out teeth into a knife edge. It'll cut like butter once it gets nice and hot. :)

The tires i'm grooving are 39.5 boggers, I was gonna put vertical grooves in the small lugs and latteral grooves in the big ones but do you think they do better just taking the little lugs out completely? Opinions?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I put a metel cutting blade on the skill saw it works great just use a fan to blow the smoke away. Maybe the wood cutting blade may work better ,I never tried it.

heres one pic of the tires

1 - 14 of 14 Posts