Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to start a job doing pm work on otr and big trucks changing oils, filters, greasing etc. So i need a better hand cleaner than i have now.

I have fast orange in a gallon jug with a pump but it doesnt seem to work well. I always end up with dirt still on my hands and if i get them wet it doesnt hardly do shit. It also takes half a dozen pumps to even get enough

My dad gets some really good stuff from his work. Its a purple/gray color with a lil bit of grit. Just a small squirt and it gets oil and grease right off, and it works even if you got wet hands. Only problem is his company rebadges it with thier name so i dont know who makes its.

I need something that will work with water and i can find in auto parts stores and such. I dont really want to order it online.

Or i may just use some kind of mechanics glove since i will be travelling to the trucks and working outside at night. Gloves can be another thread

·
Registered
700 Posts
Best I've used so far is zeps cherry bomb. Used to be hard to get, now advance auto parts carries it. Only other place I've seen it retail is the home depot I used to work at had it in pint bottles labelled as zep cherry. Maybe some stores still carry it.
The only size I've seen at advance is a gallon jug behind the counter at their commercial sales counter.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
guess ill have to mossy over and see what specifically the stores have. I know i have seen some kind of "cherry bomb" hand cleaner at the farm store.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wear Gloves. Latex gloves are natural rubber and will fall apart when they come in contact with chemicals, unless they are good quality gloves. Vinyl gloves resist chemicals a little better but sometimes they don't stretch very well. Good Nitrile gloves resist chemicals and stretch well. Find some quality thick Latex or Nitrile gloves and wear them. You should be able to find a box of 100+ gloves for less than $10. Harbor freight has some decent black Nitrile gloves, a medical supply store may have some good gloves also.
Gloves are great, you don't get permadirt stuck in your hands and when you are done working all you do is take off the gloves.
It takes a bit to get used to them and they can be annoying on really hot days but once you are used to wearing gloves it's great, your hands stay clean, and you don't have to spend 20 minutes wire brushing the dirt/grease off your hands at the end of the day.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wear Gloves. Latex gloves are natural rubber and will fall apart when they come in contact with chemicals, unless they are good quality gloves. Vinyl gloves resist chemicals a little better but sometimes they don't stretch very well. Good Nitrile gloves resist chemicals and stretch well. Find some quality thick Latex or Nitrile gloves and wear them. You should be able to find a box of 100+ gloves for less than $10. Harbor freight has some decent black Nitrile gloves, a medical supply store may have some good gloves also.
Gloves are great, you don't get permadirt stuck in your hands and when you are done working all you do is take off the gloves.
It takes a bit to get used to them and they can be annoying on really hot days but once you are used to wearing gloves it's great, your hands stay clean, and you don't have to spend 20 minutes wire brushing the dirt/grease off your hands at the end of the day.
This^ Then get yourself a jug of Prema hand cleaner.

I've bought almost every kind since I order all the supplies for the shop and I like it the most.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
I've always just used dawn dish soap. Use one of those little bristle brushes to get the shit out of the "fingerprint" on your hands and it works good. Also works to clean windows, degrease parts, wash your hair, and clean dishes. :laughing:

ETA: Where I work they have this "magic" branded soap, it has bits of walnut shell in it and it works great. The grit is larger than the pumice in most soap and also a bit softer so it doesn't tear up your hands as much. Still drys them out like mad though. Throw a pair of gloves on when you know you're gonna get oil/grease on you. Saves having to wash your hands every 15 minutes.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
There is some blue shit at Lowes.
I forget the name, it is blue in color and has some grit in it.
When I am working with clutches on pulling trucks and tractors (sintered iron and seems like it all gets 50 wt motor oil mixed with it. Nothing else hardly touches it. This stuff gets almost all of it off first time. If I get really dirty, It may take a couple times, but it'll get it off. I usually use Dawn dishwashing soap for everything else.
The Fast Orange shit doesn't work so well for me.

·
Registered
301 Posts
1. Oil your hands with clean motor oil before you dig in. That will keep the dirty stuff from sticking.
2. Step 1 of cleaning = parts cleaner.
3. Step 2 of cleaning = Dawn and a brush.

·
Registered
200 Posts
gojo cream works best for me.

don't use it for jack off lube tho----makes the skin come off your
nutz. ask me how i know.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
1. Oil your hands with clean motor oil before you dig in. That will keep the dirty stuff from sticking.
LOL-oil your hands? Try hand lotion. Some of the guys I'vw worked with swore by using hand lotion before work and after lunch, they claimed it made it easier to clean their hands up.

I used to work for a chemical company that made soaps, their hand cleaner with walnut shells is probably the best I've ever used. Craft Labs, True Grit, a gallon jug has lasted me years.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
The way I see it, is if I'm a mechanic (even if that means backyard :flipoff2:) then I'm not too worried about my hands looking like a model's.

GOJO orange doesn't work that well for me. I have an old bottle of NAPA hand cleaner (no grit) that works fairly well...and a jug of Boraxo that works the best for me. With either one, I always finish up with a final wash with Dawn.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Dawn Dish Soap.

Get a gallon Jug and keep it in the garage. Best part is, when the wife claims she can't/won't wash the dishes because she ran outta soap and forgot to go to the store, you can save the day by refilling her small bottle in a timely fashion so that she can get the dishes done....finally.

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
Not everyone wants to absorb petroleum products through their skin. :flipoff2:

Ever eat chips at lunch and notice your hands are cleaner?

Vegetable oil,..
Good one. I regularly use Dawn dish soap. There's a bottle in the garage by the deep sink and on occasion occupied a spot in the shower. Unlike the occuhippies, it worked. :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts