Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
While you have that motor apart get a manifold that flows a little more. A Performer RPM or similar Z-28 style manifold will perk up you mid range quite a bit.If you can run the lower octane fuel at that elevation with 10:1 compression I say go for it, any aftermarket head is going to do you justice.
My 383 had a cam 488 lift 280 dur on a 110 center lobe, Performer RPM with slightly massaged 202 heads ran a 14.10 quarter threw the exhaust and with a tiny 600 single feed Holly in my 64 Elky. Hell of a mid range motor and very reliable as well. I now have it in my 74 long bed with a performer manifold and cam with all the smog crap and am pretty impressed with how well it runs with 373's and 35's.
well enough of my .02

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you very much for all of the information. Well, I just got off the phone with a guy at one of the better machine shops in the state. He'll take my heads, cut them for 2.02/1.60 valves, put in hardened seats, all new guides, all new valves, open up the ports, put in the original Chevy contour for the factory 2.02/1.60 heads, port-match and swirl polish the whole mess for less than I can buy any new head - even a stock replacement. Guess I'll have to give him a shot. I'll let you know how it goes.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts