Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at mag drills and was wondering if any mag drill exceeds all others.

i am looking at mainly Milwaukee and Jancy, i know Fein and Hougen make one, but i am not sure all the others that are out there.

What is the max speed you would look at (650 rpm?)

What specs would you consider minimum?

What drill is the best one.

(I searched and the last post i saw specific to mag drills was 2005 and i figure product lines have changed and the tech info was sparse).

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Steel Max

To me it blows away all the others. It is a major investment so do as much research as you can.

If possible look as some in real life use. They all look good when set up in a demo.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Jancy and cutters.

I have cut 2000+ holes in truck frames 5/8 3/4 7/8 you can do 50-70 holes in 1 hr. in 1/4 rail . Best set up I have worked with.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you want rotabroach cutters, or twist drills?
I would like a few rotabroach cutters, but I cant eliminate the need for a twistdrill.

I assume the chuck swaps out.
I have never had a mag drill so if I am mistaken please let me know.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
What do you want to use if for? Big difference between recommending a machine to someone using a 4" cutter to take in-situ metallurgical samples out of steam drum with 5.5" thick shell compared to the guy who wants to use it drill mounting holes in truck frames.

We have a couple of Hougen's (505 and a 904) and the big CS Unitec one (3' tall, ~125#'s and needs 20+A @ 120V).

·
Registered
450 Posts
I would like a few rotabroach cutters, but I cant eliminate the need for a twistdrill.

I assume the chuck swaps out.
I have never had a mag drill so if I am mistaken please let me know.
Adapters exist to go from a drill chuck to a 3/4" rotabroach arbor, and there are chucks with a 3/4" rotabroach shank. Either way you eat up some travel.

Whatever you get, be aware that any with jibs will need adjustment as they wear. We've got a couple Hougens at work with quill feed, they're far tighter than the other units we have with jibs. If you're planning on doing a lot of horizontal or upside down drilling, consider a lighter weight unit.

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
I've used a milwaukee several times, and I hate it. Magnet seems weak, and it wants to crawl around if you are really bearing down on it. It did however have ample power....But when I used it, I was at the top of a 135' steel pole and I can't imagine any of them being fun to use up there. I also used a Dewalt (on the ground) and the magnet seemed stronger than the milwaukee. But the motor was as strong.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The rotobroach/twist drill thing is the big thing for me. The "baby" Milwaukees can be had for $700-ish new but they're really only meant for rotobroaches from what I've seen. They don't look to even have enough Z space for a jobber length twist drill - but I could be wrong and I think they do sell an adapter for a 3 jaw chuck.

I've only used the bigger Milwaukee - don't recall if it had the swivel base or not....but I do remember that the magnet did seem kinda weak. I ass-umed this was just normal; after all it's only got so much contact given the size of the base/magnet. Are others truly stronger?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
The magnets tend be weak on any of them if you're drilling ~3/16" or under. There just isn't enough metal mass for the electromagnet to attract. For thin stuff, use a piece of scrap 3/4" plate and clamp or tack the thick plate to the work first and the magnet will hold *much* better. It's also good to use a plate if the surface is uneven.

I can't explain the physics behind why the magnets work better with a thicker plate, but it's a simple solution and it works.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I use a milwaukee mag drill at work and i am not super impressed with it. It came with both the rotobroach as well as a twist drill adapters. As others said, the magnets are weak, but i REALLY dont like how it allows the bits to walk around, the whole thing is sloppy, even after i tightened up all the wear points. Ive only drilled about 100 holes with it so its nearly new. Its just not as accurate as i expected. I worked at a sawmill a few years ago and i used an OLD mag drill that i would love to have today. It had a rediculously strong magnet and NO SLOP, and the motor had lots of power

1 - 14 of 14 Posts