Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

New to the forum... but not new to wheelin' or mods. Nothing but respect to all of ya...

Have a 1990 Daihatsu Rocky and I don't want to swap in a 22RE ... too big, not enough horsepower stock, etc.

I own the Rocky because it's different. I don't mind challenging parts availability - Daihatsu still offers parts from Japan so it's actually not a problem.

About the only thing this truck could have is a shift on the fly 4wd transfer case, that would make it perfect, well, except for the engine....

Already Found this link but not interested:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/usa-northwest/1091657-daihatsu-rocky-engine-swap.html

Stock motor is a 1.6L, 94hp (on it's best day) EFI SOHC powerplant comparable to a slow Corolla. It's been amazingly reliable.

Right now with 235/75-15 Cooper Discoverer AT3s and everything else stock I get between 17-18mpg. Would like to increase that somewhat while getting more hp by swapping in something more modern and efficient.

Top Question: Has anyone found any new engines (say 2005 and up) that easily swap in (electrically?) without having the immobilizer and all the other harness crap? No problem with the mechanical side, I can handle all that. Would keep existing tranny and transfer case because they work and aren't leaking.

Basically I want a four banger with computer and harness that plugs into 12v and an ignition switch without any other hassles.

Engines Options I've come up with OTHER THAN 22RE
  • VW 1.8T 2001-up (180hp) (could be high winding on the freeway)
  • Honda B20Z (146hp but is not VTEC)
  • Toyota 4AGE (keeping it in the family since Toyota owns Daihatsu, higher reving and smaller than 22RE)
  • Honda K20Z3 (197 Hp from a Civic Si)
  • Any Other ideas out there?
I want good mpg, more horsepower, has to be a 4 popper. Anyone can swap in a V6 or V8 and if I did that, doubt I'd get better mpg.

Rocky has 5.29 Gears so it has to be an engine that will rev well or I will have to swap gears. Would rather not have to swap gears. I'd love to have a diesel but swapping gears would be required.

Someday down the road will do SAS swap with Toyota front Axle - this will give me vented discs and a bit of a lift. May just buy an `83 Toyo and swap front and rear axles to achieve this.

Appreciate everyone's help and opinions here.

More Pics of my rig:
2014 Photos
--- and ---
90Rocky's photos

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I had a 91 rocky and it was hilarious to drive and took a beating and kept on rockin (pun). Id love to see a vw tdi in there, but why not a 2rz 2.4 toyota?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Have you looked at ecotec motors. theres a 2.0 sc or turbo or a 2.2 or 2.4.

Theres a ton of the 2.2's in the yards here and with a flashed ecu and stand alone harness its a plug and play 170ish hp. I almost have my 2.0 sc up and running in my toyota, not too hard to mod the harness and is light as hell. My friend and I carried it into the garage and put it on the stand by hand no problem.

Check them out, in a ton of gm cars and lots of aftermarket stuff available:smokin:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Id vote ecotec as well, But keep in mind the Intake is on the drivers side and the exhaust is on the passengers side. Also, Transmission and T-case options are kind of limited.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks fellas - I will check out ecotec. When you say flashed ecu and stand alone harness... where are you seeing those? Is there an aftermarket site or do I go to GM parts?

I am planning on using flywheel, disc and pressure plate from the donor motor, then mating/adapting the Rocky tranny. T-case will stay on back of Tranny.

I'm good with intake on either side and exhaust on either side - that can be worked out no problem.

Found this... harnesses on other part of the site... wish these guys did a better job of search engine optimization so I could find them easy rather than having to dig through random forum posts at other sites.... ELECTRIC WIND,LLC

http://www.alphafabindustries.com/collections/ecotec-solutions

Ooh, here's some good info for Ecotec, too bad the harness and computer is as much as a motor...

http://www.turnkeyenginesupply.com/mefi-4-ecotec-computer-harness/

Mefi 4 pre programmed ECU & Harness for use with mechanical cable drive throttle bodys includes AIT sensor, relays for electric fans & fuel pump. Harness is 5 wire hook up to chassis (12v+,ignition, tach, fuel pump , electric fan +)

The basic Family II architecture was substantially reengineered in 2000, becoming the Ecotec 2.2, model L61 (or L42 for the CNG version). First appearing in the 2000 Saturn LS1, the L61 spread throughout North American GM products, displacing the Quad 4 and its descendants.

Unlike its notably harsh predecessor, the L61 was designed for smoothness. Dual in-block balance shafts were integral to the design, and all accessories were mounted directly to the engine block to reduce vibration. The oil filter was cast into the block with a removable cover and replaceable paper element.

Displacement for the 2.2 L engine is 2,196 cc (134.0 cu in) with an 86 millimetres (3.4 in) bore and 94.6 millimetres (3.72 in) stroke. Compression is 10:1, delivering 135 to 147 hp (101 to 110 kW) and 142 to 152 lb·ft (193 to 206 N·m) of torque. The Ecotec line is manufactured in Tonawanda, New York and Kaiserslautern, Germany, and was also manufactured for Saturn in Spring Hill, Tennessee until Saturn's discontinuation. The L61-powered Saturn Ion replaced the Saturn-powered Saturn S-Series.

The 2.2 L Ecotec is used in the following cars:
Year(s)......Model Power Torque
2002–2005 Chevrolet Cavalier................140 hp @ 5600 rpm / 150 lb·ft @ 4000 rpm
2004-2008 Chevrolet Classic (Malibu)......144 hp @ 5600 rpm / 155 lb·ft @ 4000 rpm
2005–2006 Chevrolet Cobalt..................145 hp @ 5600 rpm / 155 lb·ft @ 4000 rpm
2007–2008 Cobalt................................148 @ 5600 rpm / 152 lb·ft @ 4200 rpm
2006.........Chevrolet HHR......................143 hp @ 5600 rpm / 150 lb·ft @ 4000 rpm
2007–2008 Chevrolet HHR......................149 hp @ 5600 rpm / 152 lb·ft @ 4000 rpm
2002–2004 Oldsmobile Alero...................140 hp @ 5600 rpm / 150 lb·ft @ 4000 rpm
2002–2005 Pontiac Grand Am.................140 hp @ 5600 rpm / 150 lb·ft @ 4000 rpm
2002–2005 Pontiac Sunfire....................140 hp @ 5600 rpm / 150 lb·ft @ 4000 rpm
2005–2008 Pontiac G5/Pursuit................145 hp @ 5600 rpm / 155 lb·ft @ 4000 rpm
2003–2005 Saturn L-Series (high output) 140 hp @ 5600 rpm / 145 lb·ft @ 4000 rpm (LOL "high" output)
2003–2007 Saturn Ion..........................140 hp @ 5600 rpm /145 lb·ft @ 4000 rpm
2002–2007 Saturn VUE.........................143 hp @ 5600 rpm / 155 lb·ft @ 4000 rpm
2001–2005 Opel/Vauxhall/Holden............147 hp @ 5800 rpm / 150 lb·ft @ 4000 rpm

I'll be sure to keep my Rocky's ignition switch, since most if not all these cars are affected by the recall lol ;-)

Thanks for providing more options - I am thrilled about this!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks; the 2.9L Four Cylinder Engine from a Colorado/Canyon would be another option. I'd actually like something a bit smaller in displacement, however, since the Rocky is actually small and mpg is a big factor. So far the 2.2 L Ecotec is looking good.

https://www.facebook.com/150tunescom

Ha ha they are from my hometown!

Any other suggestions? I'm still curious what other options there may be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Duratec specs....

2.3L/140 CID 4 cylinder engine for 2003 Ranger
135 hp @ 5050 rpm
153 lb-ft of torque @ 3750 rpm
9.7:1 compression ratio
Aluminum block, aluminum head, 4 valves per cylinder, dual overhead cam with mechanical lifters

Looks like there's one in the junkyard right now... not sure if the engine is gone yet.

Row52 | 2002 Ford Ranger

Also, looks like these guys can do EcoTec and lots of other swaps...

Contact Us

The Duratec comments on one forum mentioned to go Zetec instead or to go with the DISI Mazda variant used in a Mazdaspeed3, 6, or CX-7. Even more options!

I'm leaning Ecotec or Duratec if I can get a harness. The Duratec would be nice considering it's already a truck motor.

Thanks and folks please post other options if you have any... especially harness manufacturers because that seems to be the more expensive component at this point.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
If you find a ecotec harness for a good price Id like to know what you find. Pretty much AFI is basically the cheapest Ive found.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If you can get the stock harness it's really easy to make a stand alone. Just get the pinout of the ecu and strip out what you dont need, youre left with the plugs for the sensors you need, some chassis grounds and signal grounds that you just need to keep separated and the power for a few of the sensors and the ecu its self. A couple fuses and relays and its good to go. a bit of work but worth the $500 or whatever you find....

Around here I could go pull an ecu and harness from the yard every time I go if I needed them. The 2.2s are everywhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Best deal on ecotec harness....

http://www.enginewiring.com/services.htm#GM
Engine Wiring . com services page.

I also have a question into 150tunes.com

Has anyone actually hacked up an Ecotec harness successfully? I know I could do this and save the cash but I also need to get the ecu reprogrammed to get rid of the immobilizer circuit from the key and ignition. That's part of the service that these guys offer. Anything I can do to save some bucks would be great though... please post links if you have any...

Also, I just went and picked up an EcoTec from a 2004 Saturn Ion. Seemed perfect - had manual tranny but the weird thing is the flywheel is dual mass... I would not have guessed this. My 2010 Golf TDI has one of these and their freakin expensive! Not to mention they are not resurfaceable... oh well, I can re-use the Rocky flywheel and clutch but it may not be able to take the extra hp.... options.

Here's a pic of the engine getting a taxi ride home... and another of a 2.2 ecotec with turbo in a crawler buggy at the National Auto Museum in Reno (both photos taken 4/26 and 4/27 of 2014)...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I made my own harness, it was simple. the only issue I had was the lsj uses 3 plugs on the ecu and the stock engine harness only has 2. The third plug (blue) has the obd port and something I cant remember rite now. I just got the plug at the JY and took it apart and repinned it how I needed. I spent 90% of my time reading. There is ecu pinouts on Cobaltss.com.

For the $525 you could make your own harness and buy HPT and tune/flash it yourself all you like in case you want to ad a turbo or sc down the road.

Also be careful hauling that motor sitting on the oilpan like that, they break easy ask me how I know,,, lol:p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks Sherm I just downloaded the pinouts. I also found a few Cavaliers and Aleros at a nearby junkyard, so I think I'll use that harness.

Just to be clear I have the L61 2.2 not the LSJ 2.0.

Makes total sense to try and make my own harness before buying one with a PCM. Did you just ignore any codes that came up when the unnecessary wiring was left open circuit? If I can figure this out I will document it and put it online for all to see.

The guy at Enginewiring said they wouldn't touch the Saturn combo. He also thought the reluctor wheel would be different on the crank in the Saturn engine, but CBM said their harness works with all 2.2 EcoTecs even the Saturn version. He said all the 2.2 Ecotecs are the same thru to `07 (so that must mean (02-`07 L61).

Sherm you didn't need to reflash the PCM? Yours ran without a reflash?

Thanks so much this is getting very close to becoming reality, and all I'll have to figure out is the bellhousing adapter (which won't be difficult at all).

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
No I'm not running yet, just waiting for my HP TUNERS to get here then there's no reason it shouldn't. From what I've read I can turn off all the crap I deleted along with the VATS and I'm good to go...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts