Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to ditch the idea of using slider boxes on my front springs. Where is the best (cheapest) place to buy YJ width shackle mounts?

Or does someone have a nifty way to fab them?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
You can use cj rear spring hangers welded to the frame

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Any Jeep place has them. There are two grades, expensive and cheap. Expensive are around $80 a pair cheap around $20. For what we are doing go for the cheap ones, I did!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RudeZuk said:
are you talking about a spring hanger or a shackle hanger?
Shackle hanger.

I built my front mount (spring hanger) a whole hell-of-lot like SCWAFISH's. I was going to install slider boxes, but decided the noise would get on my nerves.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
RocKrawler said:
What axles are you using? All Pro has Toyota (same spring width as YJ) mounts, and if using Yota axles you can just melt on their front SAS conversion hanger and the spacing will be set perfectly too. If not using Yota axles, their rear hangers are stand alone units designed to be welded directly to the bottom of the framerails.

This is a Spring hanger, not a shackle hanger..

·
Registered
172 Posts
rude - what size round tube is that in your pics? Is that 2x2 Sq ? That looks like a perfect match for my rear frame extension. I don't think there will be enough room to run a cheap CJ rear hanger on the rear 2x4 rec tubing cross member. What bushings did you put in there?

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
misatori said:
rude - what size round tube is that in your pics? Is that 2x2 Sq ? That looks like a perfect match for my rear frame extension. I don't think there will be enough room to run a cheap CJ rear hanger on the rear 2x4 rec tubing cross member. What bushings did you put in there?

those are the 100 dollar questions my friend:flipoff2:

I havent made any in a while so i need to go measure what i used, but I have made a ton of these things....all the guys in our group run these things. They even hold up underneath a rig with me driving:D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Looks like 2x2. I'm thinking - depending on where the shackle hanger needs to be in relation to how the framerails bend outward - I'd put the sq tube vertical if it is inward away from the frame rails (extensions approx 19 in plus 2 in rear bumper / xmember) and grab an inch or 1.5 of lift for the stock XJ leafs. If it lines up at the frame rails run them longer like yours pictured. I'll measure my CJ rear bushings so no need to bill for that question.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
RudeZuk said:

This is a Spring hanger, not a shackle hanger..
I deleted it, sorry, my colon was blocking my line of sight... now that I corrected the cranial/rectal inversion.. try the Slickrock units, easy attachment and extremely strong. Theyr'e the more expensive ones SCWA was referring to..

·
Registered
105 Posts
On the above picture there is a Zerk fitting on the bolt going through the spring hanger bushings.

Questions: I don't get where the grease goes once its pumped in, is the bolt hollowed out or something?

I thought polyurethane bushings and grease don't mix. Or is it white lithium ur using?:emb3:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
whats his name said:
On the above picture there is a Zerk fitting on the bolt going through the spring hanger bushings.

Questions: I don't get where the grease goes once its pumped in, is the bolt hollowed out or something?

I thought polyurethane bushings and grease don't mix. Or is it white lithium ur using?:emb3:
The bolt is hollow with a hole. sometimes the bolt is fluted on the outside to help disapate the grease, as far as greese not playing nise with poly dont know. On some there are metal sleeves that the bolt goes through so you are greasing the point between the bolt and sleeve, not the bushing, I run greasable bolts without the sleeve in rubber bushings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts