Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the SHTF bag thread, and I hope this isn't a repost, but where is the best place or places to pick and choose and get the best US made BDU's, ALICE packs, etc? I used to have a bunch of BDU's to work in and such, and got rid of them when i got too fat :laughing: Now I've lost weight again and I want BDU's and general surplus items like canteens, packs, etc. for hiking and camping. I found a lot of places but most have a little tag saying imported at the bottom. I want the real deal, US made, GI issue gear. Any tips?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Do a search for survival gear or survival surplus. Maxpedition seems to be the best retail bag in terms of quality, and marketing. They also source to military and police so the gear usually meets US specs.

http://www.evilblackrifleshop.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=87

For clothing most of the stuff that you will find that is US surplus is Digital desert camo. of course didgital desert is a fad that will go away as soon as we pull out the ME. If you want avoid the mall crawler ninja apperance package you can go with some of the 5.11 tactical clothing

survivalblog.com has his advitisers down the right side. As with all survival prepping there is a lot of money to made off of fear. So choose wisely

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
some good shit on evilblackrifles.com up there. I'm checking it out now.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I don't care about being all mall ninja ish, or tacticool. I just want some black, khacki, and maybe woodland BDU pants that aren't made in india, and that don't cost an arm and a leg. They were comfortable, durable, useful pants with all teh pockets and stuff. I want a few to work in when crawling under trucks or working in the woods. The other surplus stuff I asked about is more for the SHTF situation, or just good practical gear for carrying ammo when i go shooting or carrying gear for camping or wheeling. I spent a week in the Arizona desert last month, and it got me thinking really quick about packing light and having the best possible equipment.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I've bought a good deal through Brigade Quartermasters and TheEpicenter.com. I got MRE's and stuff from MREDepot.com. And a few of my SHTF items have come from Bass Pro Shops.

·
Surgical Shotgunner
15,752 Posts
check out opsgear.com. bought a couple of cheap carry bags from them. dont know if its going to be the pure-D military surp you require but the prices seem pretty good and the service is excellent with quick shipping

·
Registered
30,983 Posts
My advice is to avoid military equipment if you can, just because you don't want to be seen as one of "Them" (Right wing wacko militia types).
Good carpenter jeans, weather appropriate shirts, long underwear, etc. and an earth-tone civilian back pack will do the same things, can hide just as well if you understand the art of camoflouge, and if you have to travel into a suburban environment, you're just a guy with a backpack.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
check out opsgear.com. bought a couple of cheap carry bags from them. dont know if its going to be the pure-D military surp you require but the prices seem pretty good and the service is excellent with quick shipping
That's a cool site, thanks. I also have gotten a few things from uscav.com and gr8gear.com
My advice is to avoid military equipment if you can, just because you don't want to be seen as one of "Them" (Right wing wacko militia types).
Good carpenter jeans, weather appropriate shirts, long underwear, etc. and an earth-tone civilian back pack will do the same things, can hide just as well if you understand the art of camoflouge, and if you have to travel into a suburban environment, you're just a guy with a backpack.
I see your point, and i agree to an extent. My current backpack isn't an army backpack, just a mil spec black pack that looks like any old normal pack. and as far as clothes the BDU's I would order would be olive drab pants or khacki. I just like the look and comfort of them and they are fairly durable, not to mention nearly as cheap as jeans. I agree walking around in woodland camo or the new ACU would make me look like a mall ninja or some nut. Not to say I'm not a gun nut...I just don't want to show that I am :laughing: I'd rather be a sleeper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts