Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew up a set of 14 year old Spicer 4.56 Dana 60 HP gears over the weekend. They've had a hard life, I'm amazed they lasted this long. Obviously I'm wanting to go right back to another Spicer set, but I heard that Spicer is no longer making gears in the US. Can someone confirm this?

What's the best brand going these days? Still Spicer? Who makes the Currie gears? My Spicers have lasted so long I haven't had to buy gears since I was still shittin in diapers.

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
Need a 14bolt up front, I hear there is a company making 40 spline spools for them too.

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need a 14bolt up front, I hear there is a company making 40 spline spools for them too.
Haha, I hear you. Definitely in the plan, but this will get me riding again :D

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
This was posted by Proformance back in may 2012. I have no idea if or what has changed since then:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
what brand d60 gears are you running? ratio? have you broken any gear sets yet?

"We broke some ring and pinions from a USA manufacturer, before we discovered that most (We have not found any yet) USA made ring gears (Other than the 10" TT Gears) are made in Korea or China.

We did some metal testing and discovered that the gears were 62-65 rockwell on the outside and the hardness dropped instantly to 25-22 Rockwell less than 1mm below the outer surface - absolute junk. I then rang EVERY diff gear supplier in the USA that I could find and they all admitted (After I asked the question many many times) that their diff gears are not made in the USA and they are actually made in China/Korea.

I offered to purchase 3 sets from each of the most known USA diff gear "manufacturer" (Two for the truck for testing and one to cut open and test the material and heat treatment and perform a full metal analysis to see what material they are made from) but all sugested that their gears are only suitable for road use (Really Really hard for long life, but not for competition).

We now source our ring gears from DANA direct - simple.

When we have finished development of our new portal hubs, the diff gears will only experience 50% of the load, and we will have a super stong drivetrain.

Thanks for the question"

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Change the front axle to a 9/10 or 14 or whatever floats your boat.
My last season in the old car when it had a Hp 60 before I took it out I was going thru a r&p a race that was with 35 spline Jack Shafts. I can't imagine that stepping up to 40 spline would do anything but shit the teeth of quicker with less twist in the shafts. What I found from researching is even Superior was overseas and their wasn't a manufacturer that wasn't reboxing

·
Banned
15,359 Posts
im all for 14b front axles but his gears have lasted such a long time and this is his first time breaking them, i dont see the point in building a 14b, unless of course you upgraded motor/bigger tires and thats what caused the break.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Buy a good set of used spicer hopefully back when they wereade it was in America? (Incase they are now made anywhere else)

That's what I did. Used 4.56 100$ a set! Looks new.

·
E. Spengler
3,828 Posts
Anyone got a link for "Spicer's not US made"? That's quite disappointing- I was also going by what Proformance said back then. :(

Off to search...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Anyone got a link for "Spicer's not US made"? That's quite disappointing- I was also going by what Proformance said back then. :(

Off to search...

I thought they were USA made. But I guess things do change...

I wonder where they are made too.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I'm not sure about the gears, but if you walk around the back of a Spicer distributor it's like a geography lesson.

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Change the front axle to a 9/10 or 14 or whatever floats your boat.
My last season in the old car when it had a Hp 60 before I took it out I was going thru a r&p a race that was with 35 spline Jack Shafts. I can't imagine that stepping up to 40 spline would do anything but shit the teeth of quicker with less twist in the shafts. What I found from researching is even Superior was overseas and their wasn't a manufacturer that wasn't reboxing
Man trust me I hear you and that's in the cards but we're talking about a few hundo to get me back riding and I can't complain with the service life I've had out of these.

im all for 14b front axles but his gears have lasted such a long time and this is his first time breaking them, i dont see the point in building a 14b, unless of course you upgraded motor/bigger tires and thats what caused the break.
These have been in my buggy with a 530hp 402 LS for the past two years. I'm not easy on it.

Off to search...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...torq-14-vs-gearworks-10-a-3.html#post22864762

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more tidbit, found out my memory going back 15 years is not as sharp as it used to be. I spun the gear around today until I found some part numbers. The gear is a Precision Gear. Also from my research OEM Spicer doesn't make a 4.56 for a HP 60.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
What are your thoughts about buying whatever china cut crap they are selling now, and having somewhere in the states either heat treat, or cryo the gears before install?

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What are your thoughts about buying whatever china cut crap they are selling now, and having somewhere in the states either heat treat, or cryo the gears before install?
I really don't know. Word is Precision has been bought out and isn't what it used to be. Bottom line, I'll probably just get a set of Yukon's, slap them in and see how much time that buys me and go from there.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
I really don't know. Word is Precision has been bought out and isn't what it used to be. Bottom line, I'll probably just get a set of Yukon's, slap them in and see how much time that buys me and go from there.
That's what I just did, cause I broke the front at KOH, but I'm building two new housings, and figured I would try to make them better... Without high dollar 10" stuff that's way outta my budget...
I'm just curious how much of the equation is cheap metal, and how much of it is bad process...

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
What about the Dana 70 HP gears Currie is selling? Where/who makes those? There made fro Currie to sell not by them (I'm sure). Also what about the HP Dana 70 gears in the TopKick trucks? A Jana76 and some of those "bigger/stronger" gears???? I'm sure at least the Currie one is going to be made better (I hope).

1 - 20 of 73 Posts