Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious if there are particular years, or styles of 2.5 ton rockies to avoid?
i did search and didnt find much on this topic.
or are they all just the same?
thanks

·
Registered
414 Posts
From what I have read and researched, the earlier axles use Bendix joints (aka Rock Birfs), these should be avoided. Its easy to tell, cut the rubber boot covering the pivot in the axle, and make sure its got a U-joint (and not the Bendix joint).

Being that the military kept the axle around for so long, pretty much all of the parts are interchangable between years, front, rear, etc. The design remained the same from the 50s until they stopped production in the 80s.

If you are looking for some pre-built axles, check out http://www.differentialeng.com/. Steve Gerstner (on the board) is owner, and his axles look to be top notch. He also sells disk brake conversions, etc...

If you do a search on here, there is quite a lot of good information and build ups of rigs running them.

Have fun!

-Matt

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
You can change the axles with old style joints to u-joint style by changing the shafts themselves, the seals and the seal retainers.

Here is a pic of different shaft types.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
A91EBexplorer4x4 said:
I also have a few Questions if you don't mind me posting in your thread.
Anyone know the approximate weight of the rockwells?
I have a steering u-joint front , minus the stock drum brakes. and a rear minus brakes, but both have a pinion brake.

I'm also wondering how much the tires weigh. they are 52 or 53" Goodyears ata's.

thanks, Howard
to dam much. the tires alone take 2 or 3 people to manage. those things are turds. :flipoff2: :D

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
the 53's run right at 320#s each i think. if you get them after the rain has filled one up it is like steering a drunk. when you are trying to move them around the yard. mike

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
700 or so with a pinion brake, maybe 750

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
A91EBexplorer4x4 said:
I also have a few Questions if you don't mind me posting in your thread.
Anyone know the approximate weight of the rockwells?
I have a steering u-joint front , minus the stock drum brakes. and a rear minus brakes, but both have a pinion brake.

I'm also wondering how much the tires weigh. they are 52 or 53" Goodyears ata's.

thanks, Howard
  • The stock rockwell front weights 842 lbs., narrowed with no brakes weights 665 lbs. The rear with brakes removed weights 532 lbs. Not sure on the tires. steve differential eng. inc.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
not to hijack the thread, but Steve do you know how much a stock front 60 ways? Chevy or ford, has to be close. :D

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Weights on the dana 60 fronts, ford ' 79 is 460 lbs., chevy is 516 lbs., dodge 505 lbs. Digital scales used in all these weights. steve differential eng. inc.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I dont think the actual question at hand has been answered, what year did they go to the u joint shafts so we have an idea of what to lok for. This way none of us will have to bother with swaping shafts. Any one know?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'm not sure if this holds true for all cases or if I was just lucky, but my front came with Bendix shafts and the drive caps were more of a concave cone shape, while all the fronts I looked at with U joint style had more of a dome style cap.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the info here, and i know there is a lot of ino out there too.
but still are there any tell tale marking etc that you are getting a "good" ujointed rock.
or is it a hit and miss, or stick your finger in the boot to find out

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I've also heard that if the tag says Timken it is a Bendix but if it says Rockwell you have found a U jount style axle.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Who here has actually broken a bendix joint? I know elf_cruiser has, but if I remember correctly he admitted he wasn't really getting it.

I run them in my front axle and have been pounding on them pretty hard and have bound them up good a couple times and have not had any trouble.

My rear (front) axle that is going in this winter has them as well, I am going to get some u-joint shafts and will carry the bendix shafts as spares, though.

Just curious.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is a qoute straight from JP magazine

"""The easiest way to identify wich style front axle youve found is by the tag. If the tag says Timken then it is the older undesirable model with either the Bendix or the Rezepa type shafts. if the tag says Rockwell then the axe has spicer type shafts"""

that supports what DriveTime said...

also says if the tag is gone, ( and more then likely it will be) to cut the boot and find out. says that you can get new boots for 28$ at Boyce Equipment.

:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts