Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there are a bunch of best offroad tire comparisons but I searched and wasn't able to get much info on the best tire for driving in the snow and ice.

The vehicle will be a fj-60 or fj-55.

This vehicle will realisticly spend most of its time driving on icy, snowpack, and fresh snow highways.

E

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
Looks like you are up here in the NW. Best snow and Ice tires I have owned are the Les Schwab Wild Country siped. Those things are snow pigs!!! I live in K Falls Oregon and Western Colorado and see a lot of snow and they have been by far the best and a good price too!

·
Registered
48 Posts
poseidon said:
I know there are a bunch of best offroad tire comparisons but I searched and wasn't able to get much info on the best tire for driving in the snow and ice.

The vehicle will be a fj-60 or fj-55.

This vehicle will realisticly spend most of its time driving on icy, snowpack, and fresh snow highways.

E
In my line of work we are out in the snow and Ice all winter. We have run every known studded snow tire on the face of the earth. No question in my mind. Nokian Hakkanpilitta (sp) by far the best i have run in 23 years.

Good luck,
G

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
qoute "In my line of work we are out in the snow and Ice all winter. We have run every known studded snow tire on the face of the earth. No question in my mind. Nokian Hakkanpilitta (sp) by far the best i have run in 23 yearse "

I aqree, best snow tire on the planet.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
chef said:
BFG AT
Bridgestone Blizzak
Reverse the order Blizzak, then BFG AT! Where the AT has an edge over the Blizzak is that they are harder and you can run them all year! DO NOT run Blizzaks offseason, or you will only get one season, they are very soft - don't ask me how I know! I ran the ATs on my 92 Trooper for 3 winters here in Steamboat and loved them, almost as good as the Blizzaks, and I now run ATs on my Taco! My wife has been happy with the Pro Comps on her Navigator in the snow, but that vehicle has a lot of mass and never had a problem in the snow even when we ran the sh!tty stock Continentals!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
HiTec Retreading Green Diamond tires are indeed retreads. Between $50 & $100 each for common street sizes shipped to your door. I have a set of 245/75R-16s on my TravelAll that I bought last Summer but have yet to try them on snow-covered roads since I was working on the truck till last month. So I don't know how they handle in snow yet.

In that size, the tires came to me with an old-style snow tread design with lots of criss-crossing bars. (can you say 1970s?) Good design for road snow (lotsa edges) but I was disappointed since their ads and website show more agressive tread designs. HiTec applied the tread to a 10-ply Goodyear Wrangler, no doubt the 10-ply to handle the strength expectations of a retread on a used carcass. The specks of traction-aiding Green Diamond compound are visible in the tread. Looks like small bits/chunks of green kevlar embedded thru the tread depth. Looks like more Green Diamond bits will be there as the tread wears down. Looks cool.

The tires sat outside all last winter @50psi mounted on said TravelAll with little movement and each tire has since let loose a few 1 or 2 inch long slip cracks where the retread meets the carcass. Just slight separation on the edges. It doesn't look like the tread is ready to separate, but I haven't driven the truck yet at highway speeds for a long distance to find out the hard way. Still have a few issues with the truck.

I'm not sure if the separation occured due to the sitting. You know, sitting tires wear worse than daily or weekly driven tires since the carbon black moves outward when the tire is driven and thereby keeps the tire conditioned. Even HiTec insists one must keep their retreads inflated properly to prevent overheating that occurs when low-pressured tires are driven at highspeed. I did, but let the tires sit on the parked truck thru a Montana Winter.

Lessons (IMHO):
1. Make sure you know what tread design HiTec intends to send you.

2. Keep the tires properly inflated (at or near the max for high-speed travel).

3. Once tires are mounted, drive truck on an a regular basis to keep them in shape.

P.S. When I get the truck highway worthy, I hope to drive down to HiTec to show them the slight tread separation at the edges to see what they say. (Gotta go near there anyway).

HTH :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
For a tire you can get anywhere, that's also good year-round - go with BFG ATs - 9.50s, anything wider doesn't do nearly as well on packed snow and ice.

This comes from almost 20 years experience in the high mountains of northern New Mexico.

John

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
4x4Poet said:
HiTec Retreading Green Diamond tires are indeed retreads. Between $50 & $100 each for common street sizes shipped to your door. I have a set of 245/75R-16s on my TravelAll that I bought last Summer but have yet to try them on snow-covered roads since I was working on the truck till last month. So I don't know how they handle in snow yet.

In that size, the tires came to me with an old-style snow tread design with lots of criss-crossing bars. (can you say 1970s?) Good design for road snow (lotsa edges) but I was disappointed since their ads and website show more agressive tread designs. HiTec applied the tread to a 10-ply Goodyear Wrangler, no doubt the 10-ply to handle the strength expectations of a retread on a used carcass. The specks of traction-aiding Green Diamond compound are visible in the tread. Looks like small bits/chunks of green kevlar embedded thru the tread depth. Looks like more Green Diamond bits will be there as the tread wears down. Looks cool.

The tires sat outside all last winter @50psi mounted on said TravelAll with little movement and each tire has since let loose a few 1 or 2 inch long slip cracks where the retread meets the carcass. Just slight separation on the edges. It doesn't look like the tread is ready to separate, but I haven't driven the truck yet at highway speeds for a long distance to find out the hard way. Still have a few issues with the truck.

I'm not sure if the separation occured due to the sitting. You know, sitting tires wear worse than daily or weekly driven tires since the carbon black moves outward when the tire is driven and thereby keeps the tire conditioned. Even HiTec insists one must keep their retreads inflated properly to prevent overheating that occurs when low-pressured tires are driven at highspeed. I did, but let the tires sit on the parked truck thru a Montana Winter.

Lessons (IMHO):
1. Make sure you know what tread design HiTec intends to send you.

2. Keep the tires properly inflated (at or near the max for high-speed travel).

3. Once tires are mounted, drive truck on an a regular basis to keep them in shape.

P.S. When I get the truck highway worthy, I hope to drive down to HiTec to show them the slight tread separation at the edges to see what they say. (Gotta go near there anyway).

HTH :)

You have not been around very long but I have already noticed you sure are long winded, well spoken but long winded :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
My apologies....and you're right.:laughing:

Especially when something hits me with personal experience not in my favor. :(

:D

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
4x4Poet said:
The tires sat outside all last winter @50psi mounted on said TravelAll with little movement and each tire has since let loose a few 1 or 2 inch long slip cracks where the retread meets the carcass.
50psi? Whats the max on those? I'm not too surprised by a crack occuring if you left em sitting with 50psi, that seems like quite a bit. Let us know what happens when you contact them about it, they seem like a really stand up company, proof of that would be cool. (So would proving otherwise!)

More styles:

http://greendiamondtire.com/ and from what I've read they are carbide
:confused: They have a pattern that looks JUST like blizzaks but have the crystals, I'd love to try a set of those suckers!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The sidewall say 50psi max. They are a load range D 10 ply tire, after all. Pretty standard. No doubt they have great flex at that pressure. :D

P.S. Even BFG ATs have 50psi max inflation.

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
4x4Poet said:
My apologies....and you're right.:laughing:

Especially when something hits me with personal experience not in my favor. :(

:D

No need to apologise, Its good to get an answer better than... "This is good cause I say so" Its nice to see some reason behind it. Just my observation :D

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
SR5Dave said:
...For you people who want something other than retreads:

http://greendiamondtire.com/ and from what I've read they are carbide....
Those tires are not new tires. They do apply a new tread to an old carcass. They don't call it a retread and claim that what they produce is better than new tires, but seems similar to a retread to me. Whadda do I know about tire manufacturing?:shaking:

Do you know if what they produce is, in fact, not classifiable as a retread?

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
4x4Poet said:
Those tires are not new tires. They do apply a new tread to an old carcass. They don't call it a retread and claim that what they produce is better than new tires, but seems similar to a retread to me. Whadda do I know about tire manufacturing?:shaking:

Do you know if what they produce is, in fact, not classifiable as a retread?
Whoops, I just missed on the first page where it states they are "remolded" yes, they are retreads, excuse my retardedness! *edits post*

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
4x4Poet said:
The sidewall say 50psi max. They are a load range D 10 ply tire, after all. Pretty standard. No doubt they have great flex at that pressure. :D

P.S. Even BFG ATs have 50psi max inflation.
I know BFG ATs have 50psi, and that its not uncommon for 50psi max tires. I just can't see running full pressure on a tire thats not being used be all that good for it, thats all. (or even one that is being used) It may be rated to it, but thats still way more stress than 30psi

1 - 20 of 34 Posts