Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the Best Springs for a CJ, SOA for 35's to 37's?? We have tried stock CJ springs SOA, and they aren't flexing as well as they should what other springs should we try for some good quality flex. :confused:

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm with Ukjeeper on the rubicon express springs. I've got two rigs that belong to friends that I built over the last 3 years that are running them using 36's and 38 inch tires. Both rigs really flex great.

·
Everyday is Tuesday.
46,291 Posts
jeepinblackdog said:
What about wrap on the Rubicon spring over springs? My buddy is putting these on his 94 YJ and as been contimplating wheather he needs to fabricate a traction bar (anti wrap bar). He has a 4.0 with ax15 and 4.56 gears running 35"s.
traction bar is a requirement unless you want to replace your springs on a very regular basis

·
thhhpptthh!
46,772 Posts
stock YJ packs with some extra leaves thrown in and a chitload of sawzawl work! I'm still amazed at the flex i get out of my massaged packs. :D

·
Registered
510 Posts
sceep said:
stock YJ packs with some extra leaves thrown in and a chitload of sawzawl work! I'm still amazed at the flex i get out of my massaged packs. :D
®oger that!!
I am running wrangler in the front and waggy in the rear; both with extra leaves and I am running 37's minus some sheet metal.

Joe

·
Registered
475 Posts
Stock Waggy 7 leafs Junkyard or JCWhittney. The front springs (like YJ springs) are wider than the CJ springs.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Revolvers:flipoff2:

I would stick with at least the CJ mains, then mix and match from there. How many leaf are they now?

Got any pics of the current flex?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Come on guys do a search this has been discussed multiple times...

Jc whitney rear cj7 springs have been proven and work well.

I run a pair on the front of my CJ and I run a modified YJ spring pack on the back.. I wouldnt run a stock YJ pack, they are to soft.

If you want to know how there modified do a search.

·
that guy
2,609 Posts
my rancho crapo works well

I run rancho stock width front springs 5 leave packs they are 2.5 lift springs on an soa they flex a ton in the front. They have been on it for about 3 years and no problems so far. they were a bit stiff when they were new but seam to be doing good now I know it's rancho shit bu hay they work.

·
Registered
891 Posts
rancho

I run 2 inch rancho's from a YJ in the front and stock 80 cj5 springs in the back all soa, I am happy, I would get some pics up but the scanner is down...forever the way it looks.

·
Registered
933 Posts
my friend has the rubicon express soa springs witha 4.0 and he trashes his jeep and the spring has held just fine, plus i think that rubicon says if you bend them becasue of axle rap they will replace them

·
Registered
758 Posts
Well, I guess I might as well throw my thoughts in there too.

I run 38" tsl/sx's with stock wranglers with an added main leaf under the 1st leaft and another spring at about position 3. I get about 1-1.5" over stock with that. I flexs so much that I can't get brake lines long enough (without custom ones). I run full width as well. I have hacked a ton out of the fenders and it STILL rubs.

My experience is that my springs flex a lot more than guys I have run with the RE 1.5" SOA springs. Those RE springs are really 3" springs with the eyes wrapped the oposite direction which drops them by 1.5". So really is it a 3" lift pack. But RE's springs are a pretty low rate, so they flex well.

The down sides to my setup are that they axle wrap BIG TIME without an axle wrap solution and they tend to sag faster the an RE 1.5" SOA spring because they can go negative arched so much.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
There not the cheapest way to go, but I love my Alcans. I think the key to making any spring last is using a bumpstop to not let them got very far negative, or go negative at all for that matter. I bump stopped my springs so they can go about an inch negative, and I have run them for about three years, with no noticable squat. It also helps to choose a spring that will sit with a little bit of arch with the weight of the vehicle on it, so it can do its job properly.

my 2 cents

Ryan

1 - 20 of 29 Posts