Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at possibly purchasing TIG welder for home shop use. No production anything. Just rollcages, some chassis work, aluminum panels, exhaust, etc. I have a 220 MIG for heavy stuff. Not looking at ANY chinese offbrand stuff. I dont like running on the ragged edge of equipments range spectrum but dont want to just have an overkill machine either.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dude I've been hardcore (and i mean hardcore) miller fanboy, but i needed a plasma and a tig so i kinda gambled and bought a everlast powerpro 256. ive had it for since the start of summer. I have no regrets it works just like any high dollar miller with a built in 60 amp plaz. I use it alot, not production hours but alot. especially the plaz function. I cant complain at all, 5 year warranty also. I bought mine with the small tig torch with the flex head and i also have the watercooled torch which is a little big for my liking but its nice for aluminum. some of the stuff seems kinda cheap like. (example) not real happy with the stiffness of the torch leads and plaz leads but i can live with it for now.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
What's your budget? Start there and then decide. There is always a few used synchrowaves on craigslist. Also, your lws may deal in used machines or sell stuff out of their rental fleet at a good discount from new which helps them keep their rental equipment in tip top shape as well as gets you a good deal.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been looking at the Syncrowave 200 an its $2200 ish or so, but dont know if I need that big of a machine. The Diversion welds up to 3/16" steel and Im sure they have there specs on the shy side. Looks nice on the pics above.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I picked up a used miller 330 a/bp tig welder from a local industrial liquidator, they knew nothing about it. I stole it for 250 bucks, torch, leads, everything, and about 40lbs of rod for stick welding stainless. Im more than happy with it, dont know if your looking for new or used but good deals are out there.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive read alot of issues with those big ole machines is not having the power to run them. They dang sure aint portable and take up a ton of room. Plus to be honest I've never TIG'd so buying something like that is probably noy in my best interest as im at the sellers mercy.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ive read alot of issues with those big ole machines is not having the power to run them. They dang sure aint portable and take up a ton of room. Plus to be honest I've never TIG'd so buying something like that is probably noy in my best interest as im at the sellers mercy.
They are also expensive to run, the diversion draws a peak of 26a at max output, the lincoln 175 draws over 60a, both machines have similar ratings. The syncrowave 200 has a higher duty cycle, but still draws 54a.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I bought a dynasty 200 dx several years ago for size and power consumption. First tig machine, I learned on a gas set up. Last year I upgraded to a water cooler. I absolutely love this machine, and even with a water cooler it takes up very little space. Now if only I had skills that matched the machine...

·
Registered
331 Posts

They are also expensive to run, the diversion draws a peak of 26a at max output, the lincoln 175 draws over 60a, both machines have similar ratings. The syncrowave 200 has a higher duty cycle, but still draws 54a.

Itll pull 100 amps wired for 220. yeah far from portable, weighs damn near 900lbs. Mines on wheels but I think Ive about blown out my pink sock a few times pushing the damn thing. I didnt know if it was in working shape but for 250 bucks and seeing the price of copper nowadays and knowing theres about 300lbs of copper in one id win either way.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
I have a lincoln precision tig 225 and love it. Wish I had more time to use it in recent months, but it's relaxing to TIG vs MIG that's for sure :D

The price on all these seem to have gone up 200-400 since I got mine 5 or so years ago.

I also got some TIG Torch accessories and did a write-up on them, and in the comments you can see where I got them at an affordable price. Def. worth having the extras on hand! Oh, and after a little manual tungsten grinding I decided to get an electric tungsten grinder from ARC Zone, def speeds time to get back to welding :smokin:

I would get at least a 200amp machine for Shop use, and really get as big as you can afford.

And get a watercooler.

That's something I need to make or buy when I start to use the TIG a lot again, it gets HOT!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
.... I have a 220 MIG for heavy stuff....
On the subject of heavy stuff, remember that when you buy a TIG, you basically get a free stick welder along with the deal since they are both CC processes. You might as well buy a set of leads to make use of it as one.(Diversion is an exception, it's TIG only)

It's pretty impressive to see a little bitty Dynasty or Maxstar 200 weld 5/32" 7018 like butter off just a 30 amp breaker.:smokin:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have NO use for a stick welder anymore. I have a Miller Bobcat that has set in my shop floor for 4 years now......never used it. I have my big Hobart MIG and a smaller Lincoln Weld-Pack 100 for portability. The stick welding feature is not something to persuade me to buy any certain model. The Dynasty 200 looks nice but way outa my price range. That Diversion 185 is looking pretty sweet.

On the subject of heavy stuff, remember that when you buy a TIG, you basically get a free stick welder along with the deal since they are both CC processes. You might as well buy a set of leads to make use of it as one.(Diversion is an exception, it's TIG only)

It's pretty impressive to see a little bitty Dynasty or Maxstar 200 weld 5/32" 7018 like butter off just a 30 amp breaker.:smokin:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I have NO use for a stick welder anymore. I have a Miller Bobcat that has set in my shop floor for 4 years now......never used it. I have my big Hobart MIG and a smaller Lincoln Weld-Pack 100 for portability. The stick welding feature is not something to persuade me to buy any certain model. The Dynasty 200 looks nice but way outa my price range. That Diversion 185 is looking pretty sweet.
No use at all in 4 years? It's a shame, to see a good machine sit idle.
If you sold the Bobcat and bought a Diversion - you'd probably make money on the deal and free up some shop space.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I didnt get it new, aquired it for free from an ex. It sat and then went to use the generator portion of it to do something or another with and it wouldnt crank, thats where it sets. Havent had a need for it. Its an older 225 model.

My main thing Im wanting one for is to put a 10 pt chromoly cage in a Mustang Im building up. Just dont know if I can get good enuff at it in a decent amount of time to put the cage in. Everybody has quoted me around $500-1100 bucks to TIG one in. Damn sure dont wanna be out $2K for a machine and then have to pay another $1K to get it done by someone else. Im the kinda guy that likes to buy the specialty tools myself instead of paying some jacked up rate for someone else to do it......plus its a really cool tool to have.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well I didnt get it new, aquired it for free from an ex. It sat and then went to use the generator portion of it to do something or another with and it wouldnt crank, thats where it sets. Havent had a need for it. Its an older 225 model.

My main thing Im wanting one for is to put a 10 pt chromoly cage in a Mustang Im building up. Just dont know if I can get good enuff at it in a decent amount of time to put the cage in. Everybody has quoted me around $500-1100 bucks to TIG one in. Damn sure dont wanna be out $2K for a machine and then have to pay another $1K to get it done by someone else. Im the kinda guy that likes to buy the specialty tools myself instead of paying some jacked up rate for someone else to do it......plus its a really cool tool to have.
Chromoly is a pain to weld well, so is round tubing. Practice makes perfect, if you have a few months to practice first, you should be fine.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Go with the Miller Diversion 180:

Can do 3/16" steel or Aluminum on a single pass, is easy to use and learn to TIG with. We've had one for a couple years now and love the hell out of it for a quick, simple TIG machine.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think thats what Im gonna go with but RCP Fab got me all scared of TIG'n chromoly now!!! LOL!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
How fast you learn depends a lot on your prior background.

You can pick up DC TIG a day or two if you are proficient with O/A welding using an aircraft sized torch. The hand motions are very similar, the only thing "new" to learn is getting used to a foot pedal and the fact that you can move along much faster with TIG.

If all you know is MIG, it's going to take a while longer to get the hang of TIG, because it will be a totally new/different experience.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
RCP Fab got me all scared of TIG'n chromoly now!!! LOL!
No worries, as with any material it melts a little differently, so those used to welding aluminum will say that steel sucks and those that are used to cromo say that aluminum sucks etc.

Practice a bunch on plain jane carbon steel, ERW, DOM whatever you have, then practise on some cromo, maybe ask a local shop if they have any scraps.

Use cromo filler only if you are going to heat-treat it the finished product, if not use mild steel filler.

One more thing....... only use cromo tubing if you are going to heat treat the finished product. If not, go with a high strength carbon steel DOM tubing, why waste the cubic $$$ if you are not going to take advantage of the alloying agents in the cromo tubing? :stirthepot:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts