Pirate 4x4 banner

Best tire choice - 35" size

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to buy tires for the "Pain in my Ass" FJ40 and I've decided on the size and wheels. But which tire?

Size will be 35 x 12.5 x 15 mounted on 15 x 8 Steel RockCrawlers.

To make this post useful to others searching in the future, please only reply with what tire you like best, what terrain you wheel on and if your tires spend 50% or more of thier life on pavement (to/from trails, etc). If you know, please post how many miles you got out of your tires.

Tire choices:
ProComp MTs -----> $192.00 ea. On sale for 'buy 3 get 1 free' = $144.00 ea

ProComp Xterrains --> $ 221.0 ea. On sale for 'buy 3 get 1 free' = $165.75 ea

BFG MTs ---------> $175. 00 ea

GoodYear MTRs -----> $209.00 ea

I specifically left out TSLs as I think they are really in a class by themselves and want to compare tires that are really competitors of each other.

Thanks in advance for your input:D

Phil

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I love my MTRs, Before I sold my other 40 I ran 35 x 12.5 x 15
mtrs on 8 inch mods. They drove nice on the road and stuck to rocks like you wouldnt believe. Also did suprisingly nice in the snow. I have another set going on the rig Im building now and would consider no other tire for it.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I drove around alot on some MTRs and my Xterrains this summer in the badlands of southern Wyoming. I wouldn't go with another set of Xterrains (the PO put them on, and he didn't really are for them either,) and they tend to run really small. The supposed 33s were more like 30s when the tread was half gone. Traction wasn't too bad though.
The MTRs did really well. The terrain consisted mostly of loose rock, lots of silt, and some mixed sand. In the mud I never had a problem. This was on a F350 crew cab long bed, and it spent 50% of it's miles in the dirt.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I've run 35 BFG MTs for a while now and they see alot of highway. They drive great and seem to grab the rocks pretty good for such a hard rubber. It might be because mine are old school BFGs but the rubber seems to be harder than the MTRs. Once I find a good deal on some 37s I will be going to MTRs. I think you will be just as happy with either one.

Joseph

·
Registered
977 Posts
I would look seriously into the Yokohama Geolandar MT and the new MT+. I had a set on previous rig and they were better than the BFGs I've had previously. (Full disclosure: The BFG MTs I had were the old style before they were redesigned like two years ago). Just a thought.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Why leave out TSLs?
If you are searching for a tire that can handle both daily driver and off-road duties I think the TSL Radial is worth considering. I used to run BFG MTs on my daily driver / wheeler FJ40 and a few years ago switched to the TSL Radials. They are far superior on the trail and quieter and smoother than I thought they'd be on the road. They are a true 36" tire rather than most 35" tires which are closer to 34".
$198 at 4wheel parts for th 36 x 12.5 x 15in

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I think BFG MTs are harder rubber than the MTRs. Which is good for wear but bad for performance on the rocks. I'm having a real hard time with chunking on my current 35x12.50 BFG MT KMs. I've also lost one sidwall and I foresee losing a few more. I think my 80 weighs too much for them as I've seen good results on 40s and minis with the same tires on the same trails. If I had a 40 I'd definitely be looking at the MTR.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Shipwreck said:
Why leave out TSLs?
If you are searching for a tire that can handle both daily driver and off-road duties I think the TSL Radial is worth considering. I used to run BFG MTs on my daily driver / wheeler FJ40 and a few years ago switched to the TSL Radials. They are far superior on the trail and quieter and smoother than I thought they'd be on the road. They are a true 36" tire rather than most 35" tires which are closer to 34".
$198 at 4wheel parts for th 36 x 12.5 x 15in
TSL radials use the same rubber compound as the other Swampers. VERY soft.

When I did some tire research, I was considering TSL radials, MT/R's and BFG MT's. All had their positive's and negatives.

TSL Radials were probably the best tire for offroading.However, because of the soft rubber compound their life span is GREATLY diminished. There is a guy in my club who runs TSL Radials, and his son was DDing on the tires.. he put a set of tires on the rig every 6 - 10 months. Traction was GREAT offroad though.

The BFG MT's are a good tire, reasonably priced, decent offroad traction. Not as aggressive as the TSL's. Good street wear.

The MT/R is a compromize between the 2. excellent offroad traction due to the softer compound. Good road wear because the compound isn't so soft that you chew it to death on the road.

I put a set of MT/R's on my FJ40 about 3 years ago. Had I been dilligent with tire rotations and with keeping the front end aligned, I would probably be able to run them another year. Keep in mind that my FJ40 is my DD and I drive it every single day of the year, so I am putting probablty 20,000 miels per year on my truck.

Yeah, I will buy MT/R's again.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:D Keep the responses coming! :smokin:

I had TSL SXs on it and didn't really like them on the road. I could not see driving 200 - 300 miles to/from trails on them. If I was trailering my rig though....

Phil

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I've run bfg's and they're ok. I run mtr's right now, and they are by far the noisiest tires I own. Louder than my swampers. I was flat deaf after rolling 130 miles at 60 mph into KC with half doors. Maybe it's because they're down to 40% tread...I dunno. I'll not be buying them again. I might try swamper truXus radials next. Tornadoalley had procomp muds on his 80, they seemed to work well, reasonably quiet-can't speak to the "undersized" issue on those.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
MTR's. Think I paid $150ish each for mine a few years ago........I asked for 33's and they put on 35's......whoops :)

Like em better then the BFGs

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
my mtrs were way quieter than swampers, in fact when Im following close (gotta draft up them hills with an f or 2f on 35s, stock gearing) I can hear my buddies swampers over the noise of the mtrs.

Landpimp said:
MTR's. Think I paid $150ish each for mine a few years ago........I asked for 33's and they put on 35's......whoops :)

Like em better then the BFGs

·
Registered
178 Posts
With a name like PJonson you did not even consider the Parnelli Jones, Dirt Grip :D and I would think that you would like the tread patern (PJ) :rolleyes:
I don't know how thay will hold up off road but a very good tire on road. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I don't see Krawlers on the list

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the responses :flipoff2:

Toy4fun - dude, it's probably not safe for you to type and drink at the same time :p

The overwhelming choice of the brands listed are MTRs. 80% of the votes on this forum and 65% over on the Truck forum.

In talking to a Goodyear dealer yesterday, I was told that MTRs are hard to find right now because the production line has been dedicated to a government order for the Military Hummer version. I didn't know they run the 37" MTR. :cool2:

I kept the choices narrowed to brands that were similar in design and also price. IROKs and Krawlers, and even 37" Xterrains, are significantly more expensive. I wanted this thread to help me decide what to buy and to help others, who figure out how to use the search button, compare like brands.

I've made my choice, but keep adding your comments. It'll make it a better resource for the next guy.

Phil

1 - 20 of 23 Posts