Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what have you used and what was the best?
I've tried the air mattress deal, but it wasn't very firm.
Wonder why no one makes a futon that fits a truck bed....

·
Registered
309 Posts
What size truck bed? My wife and I use our futon mattress in my full-size when camping if we don't want to deal with a tent. It's just standard double/full size futon mattress.

Fits right between the wheel wells, leaves room at our feet for our dog on his bed too.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Cut up a tempurpedic mattress to make mine. Liked it a lot in my house, but it's pretty temp-sensitive. Gets really firm when it's cold and almost spongey when it's hot. Otherwise I love it. You can buy generic memory foam mattresses at costco and other places.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I used two latex based matress toppers, a firm one and a soft one. They are about 3-4 inches thick each. Just stuff them inside of a mattress cover or duvet, for a bit of dirt protection. They cling to each other, no slippage, which keeps them from just turning into a big turd in a sack.

The wife doesn't complain...and that makes me happy:D

·
Vendor
1,011 Posts
Back when I could sleep in my blazer I snagged a twin matress my a neighbor was throwing away and it was a perfect fit.
My cabover has a piece of memory foam with a hide a bed matress on top and it sleeps great.
A good bed will likely have to stay set up instead of stored away. in your case I'd sleep across the bed on a plywood platform across the bedrails. Then you can leave whatever you use in place and ready for the next night without a lot of moving stuff around.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I used two latex based matress toppers, a firm one and a soft one. They are about 3-4 inches thick each. Just stuff them inside of a mattress cover or duvet, for a bit of dirt protection. They cling to each other, no slippage, which keeps them from just turning into a big turd in a sack.

The wife doesn't complain...and that makes me happy:D
On top of each other or side by side?

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've played with the idea of a platform to sleep on. not really sure I want to move the bed up as then you lose room to sit up in bed. But under platform storage would be good, and I don't spend a ton of time sitting in bed anyways.
maybe a truck vault with a full width mattress on top.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
When it comes to camping-type sleeping pads, I've found the Big Agnes pads to be much more comfortable than my old Thermarest pads. Bigger, thicker (more air volume) and pack down quite a bit smaller too.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
If there's any interest I can look into custom-sized latex beds. Could be done in sections for easy folding/ stowing. Waterproof/ spillproff covers. Throw some dimensions my way LxWXthickness. My wife's family has been building mattresses for over 90 yrs. We have a custom latex bed in our cabover and it's great!

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If there's any interest I can look into custom-sized latex beds. Could be done in sections for easy folding/ stowing. Waterproof/ spillproff covers. Throw some dimensions my way LxWXthickness. My wife's family has been building mattresses for over 90 yrs. We have a custom latex bed in our cabover and it's great!
something like this?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought a truck bedz... used it once, worked great... once. Aired it up the other day for a friend to sleep on and it wouldn't hold air for more than an hr. I'm gonna go the foam route from here on out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i snagged my moms old Down-feather mattress topper for the back of the ramcharger. folds up and can be compressed to a relatively small size, and its VERY comfortable. plus, its exactly as wide and long as my ramcharger bed area when the back seat is folded up

·
Registered
66 Posts
Snaggin a neibors old matress...............
The matress stors say if its 6 yrs old it has doubled in weight from dead skin, dust, and dust mites.

Not true The x2 weight comes from the dust mite feces

·
Registered
66 Posts
Snaggin a neibors old matress...............
The matress stors say if its 6 yrs old it has doubled in weight from dead skin, dust, and dust mites.

Not true The x2 weight comes from the dust mite turds:grinpimp:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.