Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 6 100 gallon fuel tanks they are 6 years old, they have been sitting for 2 years upside down with no caps. they were used for diesel, I want to use a couple of them for gas. what is the best way to clean them?

I'd rather not have to throw them away.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Pour a gallon of gas in each and light them up. :flipoff2:

Seriously, steam clean them.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
put them in your truck, put enough bbs in them to cover the bottom 50%, add a gallon or two of gas, go drive down a gravel road.

repeat on all sides.

empty.

repeat until clean.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
How do they look inside? If they are clean, I would use them as is.
There won't be enough diesel left in there to make a problem with 100 gallons of gas.
If they are nasty/rusty, I would rig up a motor to spin them at 5-10RPM and put a couple of lengths of chain and 3 gallons of diesel (or kerosene) inside and let them spin for a while.
Some other optiosn would be a steam pressure washer to loosen things up and clean it, phosphoric acid wash, clear water rinse, drain, shop vac dry, and sun bake treatment. Then add trash/sediment & water trap filters on the output side.

Aaron Z

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have 6 100 gallon fuel tanks they are 6 years old, they have been sitting for 2 years upside down with no caps. they were used for diesel, I want to use a couple of them for gas. what is the best way to clean them?

I'd rather not have to throw them away.

Blow torch ?

·
Damn kids
14,329 Posts
I'll bet they are fine as-is.

POR-15 makes a good tank degreaser and deruster (separate products that are used consecutively) that work well but I doubt very much they would be needed.

If there is any scale, it is on the 'bottom', which is the top, so really I don't see an issue. Flush them out with something volatile and call it good.

·
Green bastard
6,663 Posts
Attach them to a harbor garbage cement mixer, put a few shovels of pea gravel in it, 10 gallons of diesel in and turn it on. Might dent them a bit and chip the paint on the outside, but it'll get the rust out. Could also do some dragon's blood, but that shit is expensive.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Fill with gas and enjoy. There would have to be about 10 gallons of diesel in there for your gas engine to smoke and run shitty.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ummm what does the inside look like??? Is it rusted?

Fill with gas, after it’s empty inspect filter and either replace filter or keep on running it.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I'll bet they are fine as-is.

POR-15 makes a good tank degreaser and deruster (separate products that are used consecutively) that work well but I doubt very much they would be needed.

If there is any scale, it is on the 'bottom', which is the top, so really I don't see an issue. Flush them out with something volatile and call it good.
I did this on a 50 year old tank in my dad's ww2 jeep. Follow the directions. Take your time. (Took me an entire weekend, was a big PITA) Works good. Final step is a rubberized sealant.

get it dipped and sealed by radiator shop.
Tried to do this, but both my local radiator shops refused. Wasn't worth the effort in relationship to the profit, and, I'm guessing the liability came into play also.

In hindsight, I wished dad would have just bought a new, replacement tank. But it was more money.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
get it dipped and sealed by radiator shop.
Not that you would have a problem, but buddy had made a custom fuel tank and did the coating at a rad shop back in 2004.

Tried to tow the Toyota across the border and their imaging\scanning focused on the tank.

Had to tow the trailer, forward-and-back like 3 times after the visual inspection, to be cleared for entry. Just didn't like the way it was coated I guess.

Best part of the whole ordeal: Bringing the whole crossing to a stop while the Toyota owner stood off to the side, watching the trailer go forward and back, all the while wearing camo pants and a t-shirt that said "Bomb Squad" across the back. :laughing:

Fuckin' Whizzy! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts