Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My X chassis is just about finished, and I ready to cut the skins. The sheet of aluminum is 4' x 10' x .085".

I'm looking for 'tips and tricks' on this one as I don't want to hose the sheet.

I don't have pumatic sheet metal shears handy, but I'll rent/buy if they will net the cleanest result.

So what do you guy's do?

--D

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Aluminum ends up trashed anyways....unless it is sunk into the tubing in seperate panels. Should have used HDPE(It's cheap) or nothing at all unless you want to or are ready to make more again fairly soon....

I cut panels with hand tin snips, left and right hand or straight...for what it's worth.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought of the HDPE, but I was worried about deformation in hot sun/cold.

Thanks for the tips guy's.

--D

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Plasma cutter w/drag tip + huge ass carpenters square = very straight and clean cuts.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Skill saw with carbide blade and WD-40. Fast, straight edge and can to curves too if you set the detph just to the thickness of the aluminum.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I just did this. I tried the left and right hand snips and it blew. Ended up using the big sissor type and it worked really well.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
85 thou aluminum is a little heavy for tin snips, and in my oppinion side panels as well. So my vote is a plasma and a flapwheel to finish.

I use .035-.045" for side panels and .060" for hoods. .125 for grills and comp legal roofs.;)

Enjoy,
Rick.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Where can we get HDPE? How much should we plan to spend on it? What is the best way to cut it and then attach it? Sorry for the hijack, but if that's better than aluminum, I wanna know how and what to do with it!
j

1 - 16 of 16 Posts