Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What has everyone found to work best on greasy engine bays and engine blocks? i have heard oven cleaner works good, is that true? also how to get rattle can off of chrome?

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Yes, over cleaner works wonders, but be careful and it is hell on under coating and some rubber components. Cleaning diesels I have found that "Super Clean" and warm pressurized water works really well, but still takes 2-3 trys.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Try Simple Green,it seems to work good and is nontoxic and biodegradable.

OlyWa

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
I use "Foamy Engine Brite"

Spray a couple cans on there, let it soak and spray it off. Works great.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
6 or something responses before someone posted the use of a product actually designed for the application. Classic. Oven cleaner is great on axles, but I've seen what it does to rubber brake lines and it ain't purty.

My dos centavos: don't wash a hot engine, and avoid using a pressure washer, especially on newer motors with sensors etc.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks everyone. sounds like oven cleaner is the way to go, just stay away from rubber lines and hoses. i have the engine being rebuilt, so they did an acid dip on the block. :smokin:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Lacquer thinner should take rattle can off of chrome really nice. It works well on cleaning a lot of other stuff, too. Just make sure you wear nitrile gloves and work in a ventilated area.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
:rolleyes: No one mentioned cow crap, coke, or tomato juice.
For the love of god get a quality engine degreaser available at any auto parts store. Just don't get the cheapest friggin product available and you will be happy.
I used a product called "Steam" from Kragen and it worked wonders. Actually bubbles while it works.
I used 2 cans in the engine compartment and frame and let it set for 20 minutes and got bare metal in many places after I washed it off. I repeated the process just because I bought 4 cans and felt like doing it.
Why in the fawk would you think oven cleaner would work better? Most oven cleaners barely clean the thin layer of goo off an oven worth a crap, why do you think they would clean thick old grease and road grime better than a product made for it.
Oven cleaner wouldn't even scratch the crap I got off my 79 CJ. The cleaner I bought even took off old undercoat off the inner fenderwells.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
jeeplvr said:
:rolleyes: No one mentioned cow crap, coke, or tomato juice.
For the love of god get a quality engine degreaser available at any auto parts store.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Walt<><

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Heated pressure washer (integrated clearer)

took the 50 years of grease / grime off a Willys frame like it was mud

·
Registered
201 Posts
Loc-Tite makes a product called Natural Blue. It works very well on the areas where you don't want to peel the paint. It comes concentrated and you mix with warm water. I use it straight for heavy grease. It smells good too.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Castro Super Clean.

spray, wait 10 min, hose off. i have found nothing better

·
Registered
423 Posts
castro is the best I have found. Oven cleaner will stip the paint off your engine bay if you are not careful. I used to use it to stip on the clear coat off wheel to refinish.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oven Cleaner works great on getting the caked in crap off of aluminum wheels and intakes.....but it is definately hell on rubber and plastics.

For the engine bay use a quality engine degreaser.
Something I tried was hook up a water hose to your hot water heater(if its in the garage). And the use a garden sprayer to pressurize the water a bit.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sandspyder44 said:
castro is the best I have found. Oven cleaner will stip the paint off your engine bay if you are not careful. I used to use it to stip on the clear coat off wheel to refinish.
Super clean works well but will dull freshly painted single stage paint ( i don't know about clear coat) so be careful where you spray it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just to let you know oven cleaner is also corrosive to aluminum. I have used it on a few occasions to strip anodized parts. Its not terribly caustic but it is something to be concerned about.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts