Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to know the best way to lift a 92 dodge 250. It has the 12 valve cummins in it. I want to put 38's to 40's on it. I plan on putting a flatbed on it. Rock crawling is wat it is being built for. But i will be pulling goose neck trailers with it.

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
With a jack? Seriously, what kind of question is this? A lift kit is the obvious answer, but if you want more info than that you are going to have to be more specific.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Skyjacker has the broadest coverage of early Dodge lifts, and AFAIK they are the only ones with front AND rear spring packs. I've run them on a couple of my old Ramchargers, Nice ride, good articulation, and they eliminate the rear lift block.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
The BEST way is to decide what you want the truck to do and THEN find a way to fit the tires you want. You could buy a big gay lift, leave it stock and hit it with the sawzall, or anything in between.
Travis..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have looked at the 6in skyjacker lift. It is the biggest they make for a 250 diesel. I was wonder if some chevy lift springs would work. They would be cheaper and easier to buy. Im 15 and dont have a lot of money. I will most likley end up trimming the front fenders.

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
If you are short on cash, the best thing to do is leave it alone. If you lift it, there are various driveshaft and handling issues and in general, it's harder on parts. The main thing is larger tires are more expensive and I myself was once int he situation where I had a lifted truck and had to buy small tires for it that looked silly because the 39s that were on it were worn out and I couldn't afford them. Just take care of the truck and lift it when you can reliably afford to maintain it with the lift on it. A lifted truck is not going to get you laid, it's not going to make you the favorite of all your friends and in 10 years, no one is really going to care. What does a 15 year old with no license need a lifted truck for anyway?

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
A lifted truck is not going to get you laid, it's not going to make you the favorite of all your friends and in 10 years, no one is really going to care. What does a 15 year old with no license need a lifted truck for anyway?
Well, I can't tell you how many times I got laid in my Ramcharger, more than I can count:flipoff2: I had my first ride when I was 13, had it set up the way I wanted by the time I was 16 and got my license.
Brigman, unless you have acces to a shop and have considerable fab skills, stick with a bolt on lift for now. a 6" Skyjacker is a nice lift, cut out the fenders and run some 38 or 39" tires on it. With it being a longbed, you should not have too many driveline issues. they will need to be lengthened so figure money for them, as far as steering @ 6" you can get by with a spacer bloc on you knuckle, or more preferably a 1 piece arm for a lifted Dodge. Look into the price on all the add ons you will need and make your decision accordingly. If you decide to trim the fenders, Bushwacker makes some nice cut out fender flares that will help cover your tires and make it easier to get a fininshed look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In SC you get your day time license at 15. So I can drive from 6am till 8:30 pm. My dad give me the truck and told me I could do what I wanted with it, so I'm trying to fix it up so I can drived it to school ( about 4 miles) and have something to go play with. He has a good set of 39.5 tsl's with about 80% of tread left that were bought for his cherokee, but he decided to stay with 35 so I've got good tires for now. I was wondering if the chevy springs would work because they're easier to come by than the dodge ones. I've been told S J is the only people selling springs for it. I've got enough money saved to buy the springs and a few other things, but if I could get around spending 900 bucks it would help on fixing other things( you know to help me get layed!).:D I figured somebody would have tried other springs and knew if they worked. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have 4" Rough Country spring all the way around on mine with a shackle flip in the rear and extended shackles/mounts in the front. I also have a 3 inch body lift on that. I run 38.5x14.5 SX's and can still rub the front fenders at full flex.

You will need atleast 10 inches total if you won't want to rub.

I have hacked the hell out of my fenders to not rub with a total of about 10-12 inches of lift.

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
I don't think the Rough Country lift will like the weight of the 6BT. Again, if you are dead set on lifting it, get a job if you don't already have one and save up some cash for the next set of tires. They aren't cheap and what will work now isn't going to do you much good when they wear out. I'm not trying to rain on your parade here but I have seen way to many young guys with lifted trucks end up parking them or selling them cheap because it got too expensive to keep them on the road. Fuel isn't getting any cheaper and I'd be looking a little into the future to see what bad times may be coming down the pipe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i don t think the 6" lift from SJ is made for the cummins powered rigs. There is a difference in the size of the bolt that goes through the front spring eyes.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Dont wheel the tow rig!

Duane

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Are these tires your dad bought for the Cherokee for a 15" wheel? 15" wheels fit like shit on 8 lug trucks with disc brakes. I had 35s on my truck with 3" front springs and stock 6" rear blocks. It sat level and all it needed was a steering arm spacer on the knuckle. If I were you I'd shoot for something lower with a more normal size tire. Free parts that take a shitload of work to make fit are not worth it in the end. See if dad will let you sell or trade the tires for something else.
Travis..

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
What he is saying is that the 15" rims will not fit the front of your truck without a LOT of grinding to the caliper or other mods. For that reason I am sticking with either the 16" or larger rims on my D60.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Rock crawling is wat it is being built for. But i will be pulling goose neck trailers with it.
Umm yeah thats going to be hard :shaking::rolleyes: If you want a really flexy set of leaves why not look into some deavers or alcans.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts