Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ryobi 6" bench grinder and need something with more power and better quality.
Any decent recommendations for at least an 8" that will not break the bank?

Thanks, Dan

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Make sure it has ball bearings, I once took apart a sears bench grinder and was stunned to find it had crappyass bushings. Search Ebay within 50 miles of you and CL. There are plenty of deals on old used stuff that lasts forever. I have 2 bench grinders, one an old school craftsman that is over 40 years old

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
At my previous job we got an 8" Jet (I know, I know) which actually impressed me. It was smooth, relatively quiet, relatively heavy and seemed to have plenty of balls. I'd at least consider it.

I feel ya, we'd all like to have Baldors but damn they're spendy, even used.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I use a 8" Jet almost everyday in our machine shop. We finally burned one up. I paid $110 to get it fixed, now it's in my shop out back.

·
Registered
551 Posts
A new or used Baldor is much better than the Chinese junk.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
At my previous job we got an 8" Jet (I know, I know) which actually impressed me. It was smooth, relatively quiet, relatively heavy and seemed to have plenty of balls. I'd at least consider it.

I feel ya, we'd all like to have Baldors but damn they're spendy, even used.
I use a 8" Jet almost everyday in our machine shop. We finally burned one up. I paid $110 to get it fixed, now it's in my shop out back.
The JET that gets used EVERYDAY in my shop was purchased in 1980. It's starting to get old, but it still turns every time I turn it on. When it fails to do that, I'll buy another.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
IMHO if you really want to eat up metal a belt grinder will far out perform a bench grinder.[/url]
x2 I've got a 2" Burr King that leaves a great finish and flat out makes metal disappear... but you still need a grinder to run a wire wheel.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,984 Posts

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
IMHO if you really want to eat up metal a belt grinder will far out perform a bench grinder

YouTube - Homemade Belt Grinder
Or you could buy a decent bench grinder, add the Multi-tool belt grinder attachment to one side of it and have the best of both worlds. I've got a Wilton bench grinder with a coarse wheel on one side, the belt grinder on the other-best money I've spent.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Word.

A sander is for deburring, and making bolts shorter, a bench grinder is for sharpening stuff.:shaking:

One shop I worked at had like a 40-50 year old Wilton (I think) like pictured above that I swear had a 36" disc on it. It must have cost $10.00 just to get this thing turned on..you could grind a volkswagon bug into dust in about an hour. :eek:

The Wilton combo is not bad if that's what you want, but if you want to do it once get a burr-king for sanding and a baldor for your grinding wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts