Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had a motor in our shop and ATK did not torque the head bolts, causing it to leak coolant out of the seam between the head and block. Not only that but the head looked like it was resurfaced with a belt sander. They told him that they would not refund his money or reimburse him for our cost of installing the motor. Their policy is to replace their shitty motors with another badly "rebuilt" peice of crap at a labor rate of 42 bucks an hour and nothing for gaskets oil coolant ETC . They won't pay him the 42$ per hour only a licensed repair facility. I know that we will loose our ass on this job if we do it . This is not the first time that a customer has ignored our advice to steer clear of them, and paid the price. We have had several customers come in with blown head gaskets on a new or low milage rebuilt motors due to the head being resurfaced by a belt sander.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I must have just been lucky then.;) . I put a rebuilt ATK 22re in my Toy in '95, it's still going strong, granted it only has 30k on it. But all those miles have been either pulling my trailer around NM/CO while camping or idleing all day while wheeling. I have heard bad stories about ATK recently, maybe they were bought out? At the time I bought mine I didn't know any better, I would have gotten a DOA engine for just a little more if I had heard of them at the time.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
or here is the cure all.
build the biotch yourself.
they are not hard and can be done for about 500- 700 in parts for a stock setup.

i got all my machine work done, including block tanked and bored .040 over and head. my head got surfaced, new valve guide seals and a couple new valves. they also got me pistons and bearings for 365$

that leaves you with rings, timing kit, seals and clutch. that is like 300$ and you know it gets done right since you read the FSM as you were assembling you new baby. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update on atk motors

we put in a atk long block for a customer. cylinder head bolts not torqued down. Pull head. Engine block has a crack on exhaust side. NOW GET THIS! They won't give the guy another engine without going thru their warranty procedure and making him cough up the difference in labor rates and fluids. The poor guy has never even driven the truck. Don't ever ever get involved with these people. They'll take your money and give you nothing but shit in return. Take your business to your local machine shop that has good referals. They'll be your best bet to get it done right. Don't let the price be your sole deciding point. Talk to someone who cares or walk out the door. Life is to short for this kind nonsense. Remember----friends don't let friends drive ATK motors. Their warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a 4.0 jeep stroker from them. intake valve stuck after 15 miles. I did the cam break-in by the book. pulled the motor and sent it back to Texas. it has been there for almost a month. called twice and get rude service rep and does not know when they will ship me a new motor. just want my money Back. can't trust those hacks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts