Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got 285/75 D's on our Excursion, and have loved them for 45K, plus. They need to be replaced, though, and I'm thinking of going with load range E in the same size. Other than the weight carrying capability, max PSI and tread depth differences from the data sheet, how much of a real difference am I going to see, both towing and not?

The only problem I'm trying to fix is an annoying instability when braking with the trailer, which I'm not sure has anything to do with the tires. What I don't want to give up is the way the old ones behaved in the snow. Even mostly worn out, they got me out of the neighborhood when everyone else could only watch.

My towing setup is a 2001 PSD Excursion with a 6500lb flatbed/4Runner and a WD hitch.

Thanks!

Mark

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
Go to 265's or 245's and you'll notice better tow performance..

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Go with a smaller sidewall, even if that means switching to larger wheels.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty happy with the 285 size: The speedometer is actually accurate, and they look OK, though a little on the small side. Since they offer both D and E in this size, though, that's what I'm deciding between. I've loved the D's in the snow, but I've not heard anyone say the E's are worse in the snow, though they have a little less tread. Does anyone have any other reason not to go with the E's?

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
For what it's worth, as far as I know, you cannot get white letters on the "E" load range tire in that size. I just went shopping for tires for my 92 F250, and wanted BFG's. I think the white letters look good on my old truck, but wasn't able to find them in that size in a "E" load range. Went with the blackwall "E's" anyway... I know this is a silly reason to want a specific tire, but is a bit of trivial info I found out.

Other than that, the usual theory applies to the higher load rating- more stable, more load capacity, and can run higher pressures.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Better handling with load comes at the expense of less squishiness to make a smooth ride. You'll notice more vibration and rattles coming up from the road due to the stiffer tire. It's worth the slight increase in "road feel" to get the more positive handling. I'll never run anything but a range "E" for my towing purposes. As far as the snow traction is concerned, that's more a function of the tread compound and pattern than the sidewall strength so I wouldn't expect much (if any) difference. For the ULTIMATE snow traction in a range "E" tire, buy a set of Blizzaks. Those things are nothing short of amazing on snow and ice. Don't run them all year though because they suck ass in the summer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts