Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the BFG krawlers the best? What is your experience? Where's the best (least expensive) place to buy these? I'm making a new tire choice soon thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
It really just depends on what you're doing. If it's rockcrawling then the answer could be yes. If it's a mix of city and driving to the trail then probably not (unless you've got deep pockets and don't mind them wearing out). What type of terrain are you wheeling? Does it get driven on the street? Give us all some more information and then we'll be able to give you an answer based on your needs. And if all fails try using the search feature on the site. :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Depends on what you want to use them for. Need more info.
If I assume that you want performance on west coast rock as the #1 priority, they you have a lot of good choices now.
IF you can get your hands on a used set of competition "sticky" tires then you are way ahead of the game.
Companies with sticky compound comp tires now include almost all the major players:
BFG
Maxxis
ProComp
Toyo
Goodyear
even Interco is in testing now with a comp formula.

If you are buying stock tires off the dealer shelf of any brand, then you are already not getting the best pure crawling tire.

Maxxis has some sweet treads right now.
Check out the Trepador. It's just plain nasty.

PS: Thanks to Jim Creel and Wild Horses for supporting me and Scott Schlapman at SuperCrawl in 2004!

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
it really depends what your doing with them.

but at $600 a pop a red label krawler aint ever gonna see any trail time on my rig, best or not.

I think that the IROK is probally the best bang for the buck trail tire or the SX.

comps are a whole diffrent universe and at that point your dealing with sponsorships anyhow and probally picking the best $$ deal over the actuall tire they make

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dry CA rocks is what we will see most of the time but I was hoping to get the Mare back East to see how we do on the muddy rocks too. I like driving the Mare on the street to and we have been known to take it on 1500 mile round trips to SOB and MOAB. Do the krawlers ride ok on the street? I'm guessing they just wear out quick on the street. Hi Allen. Thanks to all keep the answers coming.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
For competition, BFG won a couple of events, Toyo won a couple, Pro Comp won a couple, GoodYear won a couple, and the list goes on...

The tire wars are the same on the competition courses, the street, and trail.

Each tire will have plusses and minuses and there is no perfect tire so find what you think is a good value and hope it works for your needs.

Our X-Terrains work amazing for us in the sand, dirt, and rock, and we notice the biggest advantage over other tires is when we're in the soft stuff...on the rocks, it's a wash. On the street, our Pro Comps get great mileage IF you are sure to match the load rating to the weight of the vehicle you are driving.
As for mud and snow, I've heard reports that the X Terrains don't clean out as well as tires designed for that purpose but in the same breath, I've heard they do clean out as well as the tread designs currently called mudders (like the BFG Mud) that really are not mud tires at all, just aggressive street tires.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'd like to chime in on this also ( not meaning to highjack! )

I'm in the market for some 36 to 37" x 15" tires for my new to me axles (D44 front and D60 rear// SOA on YJ) I drive allot on the street..... I'd like to have a compromise of wear and proformance..... (the wife would kill me if I was spending a grand on tires every year )))))

Jeff

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
at one point I was running the xterrains on my DD f350 CC and got 35k miles out of them, during the same year we ran the xterrains on the formula toy and won a championship with them.....I would say they would be a good choice for you

·
Registered
513 Posts
camo said:
at one point I was running the xterrains on my DD f350 CC and got 35k miles out of them, during the same year we ran the xterrains on the formula toy and won a championship with them.....I would say they would be a good choice for you

R U talking about BFG all terrains ????

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
no...pro comp xterrains with the XTC compound. aslo worth noting not one flat during 2 seasons of wheeling with them....

the most miles I have ever gotten from a BFG M/T on my DD is about 20k :(

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The Krawlers in reg compound are rather quiet on the street(for what they are) and hold up well.They are supposed to be the same compound as the Moab Edition mud terrains they had about 6-7 years ago.I had a set for testing about 4 years ago for a month or so and liked them all around(comparable to an TSL SX but a scosche stickier). They are pretty heavy too.All my friends with the 35s are wearing rather well.I would consider a set for trail tiresif I didnt have this competition habit.Good luck Jim!HTH:D

·
Registered
876 Posts
Sounds like you will be doing a fair amount of road mileage. I'd suggest looking at the MT/R's. They are a good balance for getting on-road mileage (you do need to keep an eye on your pressures), ride quality, and driveability while still performing very well on Rock.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
What ever happened to BFG turning the upcoming MT's into the Krawler look?? Hell, I wish they made a radial Krawler for those of us that that put a decent amount of highway miles on our tires.

·
Registered
683 Posts
sw99 said:
What ever happened to BFG turning the upcoming MT's into the Krawler look?? Hell, I wish they made a radial Krawler for those of us that that put a decent amount of highway miles on our tires.
I thought the Krawler was Radial. I could be wrong though.

Phil

·
Registered
564 Posts
sw99 said:
I wish they made a radial Krawler for those of us that that put a decent amount of highway miles on our tires.
ahh they do

i run the 37" blue labels on my daily driver handle better then the 37" mtrs i had (i think alot has to do with the 17" rims)

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Jim, I really like my krawlers. They surprised me with how they worked. I guess because I didn't expect them to do as well as they have. We ran over 1000 miles on the UA and I think they are a great all around tire. I Swapped over from 38.5 SX's and I miss the size and the aggresive look the swampers had but they are no match on the road. Mainly cause I couldn't drive more than 55MPH on the highway with swampers. The only time I have not been happy with them was that steep loose hill in hot Springs. Just didn't have the big lugs to grab traction on those huge loose rocks.
Jake

·
Registered
159 Posts
sw99 said:
I saw some at cosco a couple months back.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I have had 3 sets of Krawlers and really like them for dry street, Colorado rock and rock with mild mud. (better then Mt/rs when it gets sloppy). They suck on wet street. Not too loud, ride fine, handle good, strong sidewalls. Hard to say the mileage, since I have more trail miles then street, but I had at least 10 000 miles on one set without any obvious street wear.

X terrains are good tires, I got decent mileage when I ran them, I only paid for one set and it went over 50 000 miles, but I had 7 or 8 torn sidewalls replaced under warranty at $50 per. Quiet, rode smooth, okay traction on rock (these were before the XTC compound), no chunking, okay wet street traction, what I would call a true all terrain, just too bad they didn't have sidewalls like the Krawler.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts