Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys flame away I am a newby to the board and no posts but ussually I can search and find the information that I need. So let me have it and get it over with.
Any ways , I am going to full width axles on my 87 YJ. I scored some axles out of a 75 3/4 ton chevy front Spicer (dana) 44 HD and a 14 bolt in the rear. Front has discs and the rear is soon to have disks.
What do you guys use as far a master cylinder and the brake power booster? Does anyone use the stock jeep stuff or do you upgrade to chevy stuff. The stock set up is good for my 35s now but with big axles and 38s I want to be able to stop the things.
Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
jeepguy616 said:
Well guys flame away I am a newby to the board and no posts but ussually I can search and find the information that I need. So let me have it and get it over with.
Any ways , I am going to full width axles on my 87 YJ. I scored some axles out of a 75 3/4 ton chevy front Spicer (dana) 44 HD and a 14 bolt in the rear. Front has discs and the rear is soon to have disks.
What do you guys use as far a master cylinder and the brake power booster? Does anyone use the stock jeep stuff or do you upgrade to chevy stuff. The stock set up is good for my 35s now but with big axles and 38s I want to be able to stop the things.
Thanks
I have had no problems stopping so far with stock YJ booster and MS. My setup is 9" rear (drum) and D44 front (disk). I am also turning 38 TSL's too. I know that is not much help but I cannot find the thread with Bigdude's fix for his setup that works well. Maybe someone else will have it.

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
Re: Re: big axles big brakes

Mayhem said:

I have had no problems stopping so far with stock YJ booster and MS. My setup is 9" rear (drum) and D44 front (disk). I am also turning 38 TSL's too. I know that is not much help but I cannot find the thread with Bigdude's fix for his setup that works well. Maybe someone else will have it.
For the YJ , i beleive most people are using a mid 80's ford E-350 master cylinder.. do a search, youll find it.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Search "hydroboost". I got 68 threads just on General 4x4. They say it will lock up 38's no problem. You will get all kinds of related info.
Ask again when you have a specific question.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I swapped axles from a '79 F250 into my '93 YJ, I haven't had any problems. Because of the Ford junk, I'm still using dual piston calipers and 8 lug wheel.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I would think you would be fine. I have no problems. I assume that your rig is at least a couple 2000lbs lighter than the rig the 14 bolt came out of, so the bigger rotors and pads on the 14 bolt should help you stop better than the stock setup. At least thats the feeling I get over my stock brakes. I did the disk conversion also. The disk too are a better setup than the stock drums, so again, should be better. I agree though, that if you do feel you need some help, the hydro boost is a fairly easy and cheap way of really upgrading your brakes. Dennis

·
Registered
617 Posts
The 3/4 ton stuff might work out OK. But I swapped a hp60 and 14 bolt into my 95 YJ, and have almost no brakes. I'm goin to the E350 m/c. Search and you will find the posts, other wise email me and I will dig it up for you [email protected]

I am running full width, chev 1 ton outer and brakes, 3/4 rotors and brakes on the 14 bolt.

One of the things that makes a difference, it seems, is whether yours donars are 3/4 or 1 ton (presumably the one tone stuff is larger), and most especially, whether you put disks on in the back. A buddy of mine has a 60/14, with the stock 14 drums and 3/4 front rotors and calipers (did the whole grind it into a 15 inch wheel thing) and his stops fine with the stock m/c - little pressure (which is a little weird), but it stops no problem.

So it depends on your ending setup. If you go with 1 ton front brakes, and put disks in the back, based on my experience I would say you'll need a different m/c, and the E350 is a very popular swap and certainly the one I'm going to try.

HTH.

Chad

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Yup, mine stops fine with my 44/60 full width set up... I am still running the stock MC and booster, minus the prop. o-ring.... stops decent, with the larger axles & breaks. I am thinking of doing the hydroboost here in the next few years...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The ford master cylinder is trick, I use that one now thanks to Bigdude. It is a huge improvement. If you are running front and rear disc brakes get a ZJ combination valve to replace your YJ one. It is set up for front and rear disc proportioning, it is only ~ $35 from the dealer. It works better than removing the o ring on the YJ valve.

Oh and try harder at searching, I pulled up 3 pages of threads doing a simple search on master cylinder and YJ. :flipoff2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts