Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a little project to fit huge brakes on the BJ Dana 60. The brakes I used is from 2009+ Ram 2500. Their 3/4 ton brakes is bigger than ford's 2013 1 ton brakes and 1/4"-ish smaller than ford's F550. Rams really gone big on this one! Not only that, it just happen to almost bolt right up except for elongating holes and 0.40" spacers, turn down the hub's flange diameter slightly (I mean, barely) so the rotor can slide over and turn the hub pilot down slightly so the rotor's center bore will go over it. The knuckles I used is 95-97 F350 with the bolt-on calipers.

Please let me know if there's any concern running this brake set up especially the elongated holes and the 0.40" spacers. Also if there's something else that may work better. I'm thinking about maybe try to find some 92-94 f350 to cut it's cast-in wedge caliper mount and get a plate made or modify a stock brake mount bracket from king pin D60s to mount the caliper, similar to what MAIDEN_ did to keep his 3rd gen dodge's stock brakes on the king pin outer swap. You can find his thread in the dodge section on here.

09+ Ram 2500 rotor

Part Number: NB 48880736
Product Line: NAPA Brakes Rotors
Attributes:
# of Bolt Holes : 8
Bolt Circle Diameter : 6.5"
Brake Rotor Diameter : 14.18"
Brake Rotor Thickness New : 1.54"
Center Hole Diameter : 4.85"
Height : 4.02"

P30 on left, 09+ ram 2500 on right. The P30 rotor will work without caliper mount spacers but WILL NOT work with 09+ ram 2500's caliper as it's pad is taller and will interferes the center section (not sure what name).

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
I run the dodge ram brakes on my Dana 60 but I used the 1/2 ton rotors as my 60 is 5 lug, works great

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what size wheel are you gonna need to clear all that?
09+ Ram 2500s with this brakes use 17" stock, so I'd assume at least 17".

Im working on this to swap on my 97 Ram 2500 (Yes i know this is the Ford section but the outer is Ford stuff so..) that have 3rd gen 17" rims and hope its no difference with Ram 4th gen's rims. I'll find out soon for sure and i'll take pics on how close or touching the brakes will be to the wheel.

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
do you have a link to a build thread on your conversion? if not, what parts you used and what you had to do to make it work?
x2. Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
do you have a link to a build thread on your conversion? if not, what parts you used and what you had to do to make it work?
No build link, mines a kingpin but it's all pretty much the same.
I just made a bracket out of 3/8 or 1/2, then opened up the dodge rotor to fit
Over the back of the hub. On the king pin it all for great.

Attachments

·
Embrace the Suck
2,095 Posts
are those spacers between the knuckle and caliper in multiple pieces or one milled washer? I like the idea, personally I'm not a fan of the slotted holes in the knuckles, but it looks like the two holes are just far enough apart to have some metal in between.

Not sure this is a good solution, but I would want to drill out the entire area of both holes, mill a slug to fit in that hole, then drill and tap an offset hole in the slug for the caliper bolt. Considering the forces, I'm not sure that tiny bit of metal between the holes will prevent movement. Of course this is all dependent on the knuckle material and if you can weld that slug securely or size it just right for a press fit... or you can find a way to add a 3rd bolt location?

Based on what you're saying, I think the SOLID BJ knuckles that are designed to run Chevy hubs will have the correct caliper bolt pattern to match the '09 Caliper. They are designed for the '98+ Superduty calipers and those have a slightly larger stand-off than the pre-Superduty knuckles. I have a pair of those SOLID knuckles if you want to share measurements for me to check? Would certainly be beneficial having the correct caliper mounts and hi-steer!

I'm also slowly gathering parts to see about installing F450 knuckles onto a pre-99 Dodge D60 and then doing a unit bearing delete. This would require 19.5" wheels, maybe an 18" at minimum though.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are those spacers between the knuckle and caliper in multiple pieces or one milled washer? I like the idea, personally I'm not a fan of the slotted holes in the knuckles, but it looks like the two holes are just far enough apart to have some metal in between.

Yes, they're spacer, stacked washers and I am looking into to get a solid spacer or something better. I have same concern with it's strength loss, if any.

Not sure this is a good solution, but I would want to drill out the entire area of both holes, mill a slug to fit in that hole, then drill and tap an offset hole in the slug for the caliper bolt. Considering the forces, I'm not sure that tiny bit of metal between the holes will prevent movement. Of course this is all dependent on the knuckle material and if you can weld that slug securely or size it just right for a press fit... or you can find a way to add a 3rd bolt location?

3rd bolt? I don't see how attach the caliper bracket by a third bolt? The threaded hole is in the caliper bracket, not the knuckle.

Based on what you're saying, I think the SOLID BJ knuckles that are designed to run Chevy hubs will have the correct caliper bolt pattern to match the '09 Caliper. They are designed for the '98+ Superduty calipers and those have a slightly larger stand-off than the pre-Superduty knuckles. I have a pair of those SOLID knuckles if you want to share measurements for me to check? Would certainly be beneficial having the correct caliper mounts and hi-steer!

I have considered SOLID's knuckles but if I'm going down that route, I'd just go all way out to Ford D60 kingpin swap, those knuckles cost lot of money. I checked SD's calipers and they're not close to work with the knuckles I have. I cant remember why the SD's not close to line up, however it might wont hurt to double check to try. The 95-97 F350 D60 knuckles' mounting holes spacing is around 10 center to center. The 09+ Ram 2500's caliper bracket's mount spacing is just a little over 10".

I'm also slowly gathering parts to see about installing F450 knuckles onto a pre-99 Dodge D60 and then doing a unit bearing delete. This would require 19.5" wheels, maybe an 18" at minimum though.

IIRC SD's F450/550 rotors' hat height is quite short, shorter than the 09+ Ram 2500s so I can see why they need big wheels to clear while this one don't. I want to keep all wear parts completely unmodified when I'm done so no modding needed like redrilling rotors every time I do a brake job or whatever.
2011 Ford D60

99-04 Ford D60

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here’s a teaser pic. I found a caliper to make this nearly a BOLT-ON big brake upgrade :smokin:. The only 3 mods I had to do was to 1) grind down the wheel hub flange to slide the rotor on 2) replace to a different wheel studs (I haven’t decide on which lug stud I’m happy with but relatively nonissue) and 3) grind the caliper bracket to clear the rotor.

****This apply ONLY to 95-97 F350 D60s and likely TTB D50s too as they share same OEM brake set up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rotors
Old:
12.95" dia
1.185" thickness

New:
14.18" dia
1.541" thickness

Calipers (both are dual pistons)
Old:
2.21" dia pistons
New:
2.36" dia pistons

Not exactly shade tree mechanic-measurable:
New set up's pads are much bigger and rotors have more swept surface area.

No more warped rotors...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes just one side of the cage to clear the bracket. The cage bar between the bolt holes. Shouldn't be a problem.
Last but not least, you will need to grind or cut the center bar out of the caliper slider (caliper cage) between the bolt holes and grind the small casting knob / caliper stop of the calipers in order to get them to clear the Ford knuckle and slide without any interference.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So has anyone had to change the master cylinders to bigger bore?
I’ll find out as soon as I get the other side done. I hope the OEM master cylinder can stay because the pedal is stupid stiff with the previous brake set up. And I hope the new bigger front brakes will balance out with rear because my rear drum brakes usually lock up with ease. Talk about some surprise jack knife when towing :laughing:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts