Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this big beauty up from a local auction recently and figured I'd share it with everyone.

Truck fun facts:

1980 GMC Napco 4x4 conversion. 366/427 tall deck big block (need to verify block #'s), 5 speed manual, gear vendors over drive, hydraulic front winch, hydroboost brakes, Summitomo 385/65/22.5's on Alcoa rims... 20k original miles.

Looks like someone started restoring it and stopped about 20% from completing it. It's very clean for its age. Was an old consumers energy service truck.

Right now I only plan to get it up and running. Currently it needs fuel lines ran to the engine, carb linkage rebuilt, brakes (everything is hooked up, just no pressure), hookup rear brake lights and clean up the wiring.

I'll build real doors for the service bed and finish up the interior later. I'd love to swap a 6v53T Detroit Diesel into it but not anywhere in the near future.

The only purpose for buying this truck is it makes me happy :naughty:

My 5'8 goofy barefoot dumbass next to it.

Being dragged home.

Family photo with my other rigs. My 78 Cherokee Chief and torn apart 99 1ton TJ are not pictured.

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
I've got those same Alcola Wheels on my Class A Motorhome.

I have always wanted to put a front drive diff under it.
Does that axle have Disc Brakes?

Nice Rig. Mileage is gonna suck, but who cares with a cool truck like that.

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
does your tall deck have a chevy bolt pattern or SAE?
cause an SAE one would make the swap to a proper diesel no sweat. Find you a DT466/cummins 8.3 and have super badass.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does your tall deck have a chevy bolt pattern or SAE?
cause an SAE one would make the swap to a proper diesel no sweat. Find you a DT466/cummins 8.3 and have super badass.
I believe the spicer 5 speed trans that it has is the same trans that was used behind the 53 series Detroits that were available in this truck originally. I'll only swap the gas engine for a screaming Detroit.

For me this truck is more about the smiles per gallon. I won't be taking it on any long trips

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
What are the plans for the truck..........how will it be used?

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
DT360 / DT466...

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Want to sell it ?
Everything is always for sale, just depends on the price :D

What are the plans for the truck..........how will it be used?
Hopefully to scare old women and prius/smart car drivers. Don't have any set plans for it other then to drive it around from time to time. I'll tow and haul with it from time to time. The occasional mud bog and maybe a country fair sled pull. I have 3 other tow rigs.

wow, i like this truck a lot. crew cab/duramax swap and done.....
I'll see what comes in a year or 2, crew cab maybe. Dirty max won't happen. Mechanical 2 stroke detroit only. If for any real reason is the sound :smokin:

Right now I need to get the brakes working, finish running the fuel lines, get a front drive shaft and go through the electrical to get the micro lock and gear vendors working. I've got 3 other rigs to finish before I get crazy with this.

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Fawk you. im in love with the bed... Might be a one day personal project to copy.

·
blatant asshole
11,831 Posts
i would NOT run that gear vendor in that truck. that is way to much truck for a gv and you cant be mean to a gv in reverse, so dont ever rock it back n forth.

but,

how is it installed? remote/divorced? married ? picks of adapter.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Very cool, a "screamin' jimmy" and a twin stick would be awesome. and find a blown engine E-series van camper to put on back.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
That truck would make me orgasmic!
Love the 4x4 Ambulance in your fleet too!
I hate two stroke detroits. But, for what you are wanting to do, GO FOR IT !
Hope you can find Jake Brakes for the 53 series!
Mufflers? You don't need no stinking mufflers!
Just get a LARGE drip pan for wherever you park it!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm with Total Newb on NOT using the gearvenders! All of thier torque is in forward gears! All it takes is a little wheel hop in reverse and BOOM Shit out a luck!
If you want any gear split than look for an old brownie or high/low box!
Nice truck and I would have to agree with the montana guy about finding crew cab to go behind that front clip !
Keep us posted on any updates and enjoy !

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Should have hydrovac brakes, not hydroboost unless someone redid the whole brake setup.

I have a somewhat similar truck, 83 C70 10 wheeler with 427 and 5 and a 4.

Expect around 5-6mpg, maybe a bit better being your truck is lighter. Mine is about 17,500 empty and has a 40,000lb GVWR.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Should have hydrovac brakes, not hydroboost unless someone redid the whole brake setup.

I have a somewhat similar truck, 83 C70 10 wheeler with 427 and 5 and a 4.

Expect around 5-6mpg, maybe a bit better being your truck is lighter. Mine is about 17,500 empty and has a 40,000lb GVWR.
Yep I mistyped. Hydrovac is correct. I agree with removing the gearvendors and swapping with a "brownie" box, everything I've read confirms this.

I towed with the Dodge cause I need to do brakes on the Superduty and because manual tranny :grinpimp:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts