Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
I really like this build but I have a few question to ask to try to build my own. first is how much of a drop is your frame. meaning when you cut the angles. Are they slide down and weld then plated or how did you do that piece of the build. I can not seem to be able to figure it out. I would like to build my own but not quite as long. maybe only 30 foot or so. and what angle did you use for the goose neck. and over all what is the width in side .the last thing is just more details around the springs and axles. my will have only 7000 lbs axle but it will be three of them.
thanks for your time
Reading over this again I can answer a few questions easily. Others a drawing would be easier to understand.

Over all width is 8'6" max legal width
Outside to outside of the main frame rails is 78"
The drop of the frame is 6". The way I spliced the frame and cut the angles could be easily seen in the drawing

As for axles, ordering the correct length is critical since with my wheel tire combo I have about an 1" to spare on my overall legal width and only about an inch clearance between the sidewall and frame rails.

My empty weight of just raw steel, no paint or electrical was 7480lbs so keep that in mind if you end up goin with 7k axles. 10k axles are not that much more and heavier duty parts. May not need the capacity but if you are goin to build it... Go all the way.

Suspension wise I did the 46" spread and wish I could have got the shorter spacing suspension just to make turning a little easier and not dragging tires.

The fenders just ordered 11ga plate in 10' length and had them shear it length wise and form the edge for me. Don't recall the exact dimension I ordered but if you order it bigger then just trim down as needed.

If you need specific part numbers for components that I used I can post them later.

·
Registered
706 Posts
What was the WMS width on those axles?

I completely agree with the 7k vs 10k debate. 7k brakes look like toys versus the HD axle stuff. 7k brakes are ~2" wide, 10k are 4", Dexter 12k and 15k brakes are 5" wide. You can see how the brake surface changes very quickly. I would much rather run two 10k axles versus 3- 7k.

·
Registered
411 Posts
That is still questionable. I know going down the road will be no issue but a launch ramp may be a different story. I am going to attempt to launch it with another truck hooked to the front of me as a safety measure the first time and see if it is doable. If not I'll be using the travel lift at one of the two local marinas. If I can launch it easily then the hope would be to be able to take it other places other than the delta... Like Shasta lake or Lake Havasu or something like that. We will see what happens. It's going to be on the edge of sketchy at best on a wet and slimy launch ramp........
Cool build. If the truck is unable to launch it on its own and you still want to bring it to havasu, touch base with me. I have a marina and launch houseboats fairly often using my loader. I have a hitch set up that goes on the bucket.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
What was the WMS width on those axles?

I completely agree with the 7k vs 10k debate. 7k brakes look like toys versus the HD axle stuff. 7k brakes are ~2" wide, 10k are 4", Dexter 12k and 15k brakes are 5" wide. You can see how the brake surface changes very quickly. I would much rather run two 10k axles versus 3- 7k.

The track width on the axle is 92" using a rockwell american part number SP10K920690EASX

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Got it back from paint today. Ended up being 6 gallons of primer and little over six gallons of paint... Slightly missed on the estimate.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Looks great!

What is the height to the top of the fenders? Have you thought about panhard bars for the axles? At least on the rear and front would probably help alot.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
why not yellow

edit: 5 years and only 3 posts
Thought about it but with as much paint as it was going to take to cover it. It would have cost a fortune. Took 6 gallons of paint at 100 a wack for this color and x5 for yellows or reds

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #116 (Edited)
Started installing the lighting and harness. Got from the tail lights to the center axle today. Should be able to get the rest with a long day tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Got it back from paint today. Ended up being 6 gallons of primer and little over six gallons of paint... Slightly missed on the estimate.

What, not yellow? Are you going to at least pinstripe it with yellow?:flipoff2:
Trailer and your craftsmanship looks awesome.
I have a thought since you have the bunks just pinned in could you make a flat deck to drop into those receivers? A dual purpose trailer.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #118 (Edited)

What, not yellow? Are you going to at least pinstripe it with yellow?:flipoff2:
Trailer and your craftsmanship looks awesome.
I have a thought since you have the bunks just pinned in could you make a flat deck to drop into those receivers? A dual purpose trailer.
Some of my welding looks very shitty to say the least. Little embarrassed about that but other than that I am happy with how it turned out

As far as painting gray reason I did that was cost and if I decide to sell it. Took 5 gallons of primer and 6 of paint. The gray paint was $99 a gallon and if I went yellow would have been close to $500 per gallon. Did not want to spend 3k on paint. :laughing:

And yes I had planned on putting runners on each side to load vehicles. Have the material to do it. Just was running out of time. I'll have to get back to it after I get the boat moved and motors swapped in that.

101 - 120 of 205 Posts