Pirate 4x4 banner

13741 - 13760 of 13942 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Larger than the tow vehicle? It was a Bronco towing a aluminum body Bronco.

3 feet? Try 3 inches.
I think this is the rig in question.. can’t really see why anyone is fussing over that. Can’t imagine that weighs very much with an aluminum body. But who knows, people get defensive when tanks run over bus loads of nuns. ��

Also correct me if I’m wrong on the image. I was curious and went searching. Trying to prevent others from having to use the search function, lol.

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
Also correct me if I’m wrong on the image. I was curious and went searching. Trying to prevent others from having to use the search function, lol.
IIRC something about full hydro steering, and complaining about it towing like crap....
Then lots of back peddling

Something about it made it dumb... I forget

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I think this is the rig in question.. can’t really see why anyone is fussing over that. Can’t imagine that weighs very much with an aluminum body. But who knows, people get defensive when tanks run over bus loads of nuns. ��

Yeah, that's it. He took it 10mi over back roads or something like that. The whole thing was a nothing burger but the "think of the children" types never pass up an excuse to lecture someone.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I just don't get all the hassle just to flat tow. (referring to the motor home with all the fancy brake shit) short distances would be nice, so you don't have to deal with parking a trailer. But 100s of miles, a small trailer would be so much better.

All that brake bullshit, then you need a driveline disconnect, or pull the driveline. Then the tow bar, brake light wiring, ect.

God forbid a little 12' trailer to just pull it on and be done.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
I just don't get all the hassle just to flat tow. (referring to the motor home with all the fancy brake shit) short distances would be nice, so you don't have to deal with parking a trailer. But 100s of miles, a small trailer would be so much better.

All that brake bullshit, then you need a driveline disconnect, or pull the driveline. Then the tow bar, brake light wiring, ect.

because most motohomes are 20K lb vehicles rated to tow nothing.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
Yeah, that's it. He took it 10mi over back roads or something like that. The whole thing was a nothing burger but the "think of the children" types never pass up an excuse to lecture someone.
IIRC the butthurt came from his declaration that flat towing was dumb and that nobody should ever do it because it doesn't handle right and the towed vehicle went to full lock while towing and it was dangerous and all that.

and then pirate told the OP that his setup sucked and he was fucktarded.

but it's been a while.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Flat towing with a vehicle with a manual transmission or a transfer case that has the pump on the output (most of them) is as simple as hooking up the ball and putting the proper gearbox in neutral.

The people buying fancy brake setups to tow a vehicle 1/4 the tow vehicle weight are getting scammed. The people dropping drive shafts are over complicating things.

·
Registered
34,274 Posts

many camp grounds don't have parking for trailers, per a friend of mine who switched to flat-towing.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Flat towing with a vehicle with a manual transmission or a transfer case that has the pump on the output (most of them) is as simple as hooking up the ball and putting the proper gearbox in neutral.

The people buying fancy brake setups to tow a vehicle 1/4 the tow vehicle weight are getting scammed. The people dropping drive shafts are over complicating things.
In a Toyota gear drive case or Sami case, neutral happens to lock the front and rear together. So if you put the tcase in neutral, you are spinning the entire front axle. I've heard a lot of people say that it's bad to run those transmissions in neutral because the oil pump runs off the input.

many camp grounds don't have parking for trailers, per a friend of mine who switched to flat-towing.
No trailer parking but they will take 42 ft 5th wheels? Not saying youre wrong, but that is dumb.

For real though a stock Sami is like 2200 lbs and an 80" wb, one of those 10-12' trailers from home depot or tractor supply would be fine.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
No trailer parking but they will take 42 ft 5th wheels? Not saying youre wrong, but that is dumb.

For real though a stock Sami is like 2200 lbs and an 80" wb, one of those 10-12' trailers from home depot or tractor supply would be fine.
Obviously, you've never camped like that. There's no money to be made by providing you parking for your trailer. You can generally stow a car dolly under the rear out of the way on a MH, and of course a Toad just gets parked.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Obviously, you've never camped like that. There's no money to be made by providing you parking for your trailer. You can generally stow a car dolly under the rear out of the way on a MH, and of course a Toad just gets parked.
I've done a few week long trips with my cab over and a car trailer. Usually just grab a pull through spot if possible. Or unload rig and back in, or pull straight in. A lot of places have boat parking also.

I did try to stop at one of those yuppie places and they have me the "your RV must be no more than 5 years old" or whatever. Out front I got the 97 7.3 clacking away, with a 97 cab over and a beat up 90 4runner on the trailer :laughing:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Not only that, but if you have a back in spot, you'd have to unload the car off the trailer, then park the trailer (assuming it's too long to leave attached), before you can even back into your camp spot.

Pete

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
My friend said the law considers the flat tow vehical to be a trailer. He also said that any trailer over 2000 lbs. must have brakes.

I'm not sure if these statements are true. They maybe only true in Canada. Anybody know?
In most states, trailers over 2999# GVWR (or 1000# empty weight) need brakes and breakaway brakes.

Aaron Z

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Not only that, but if you have a back in spot, you'd have to unload the car off the trailer, then park the trailer (assuming it's too long to leave attached), before you can even back into your camp spot.

Pete
I literally just said that I've done all that, 3 different ways. That was with a cclb and a 16' trailer, so unless it's a massive RV, I can't imagine it being much different in length. A small trailer like that could also be pulled around by the vehicle it carries to make it easier.

A lot better than wearing out your tires, shock, wheel bearings, tcase gears and u joints for no reason. That's if everything goes right. Ever see a jeep behind a huge motor home, tires full right, smoking and squealing while the motor home is going straight? :laughing:

13741 - 13760 of 13942 Posts