Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys running for steering on Chevys with a 12" lift. I was concidering full Hidro or hidro assist. The truck I am buliding is going to be a mall cruiser.

Thanks Eric

·
Registered
354 Posts
what front axle?
what year (body Style)?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Full "hydro" would work good, but if you want something to please the DOT or some kind of back up system crossover/hydro or just crossover to save money. I am running the the crossover right now and it has been really nice but I plan on adding hydro assist as soon as I move up to 40s or bigger.

Charlo

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm running about 11" on my S-series blazer, I've got high steer, it works great, I've never experienced bump steer.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The truck is going to have a Dana 60 with44" tsls.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Freshman said:
What are you guys running for steering on Chevys with a 12" lift. I was concidering full Hidro or hidro assist. The truck I am buliding is going to be a mall cruiser.

Thanks Eric
You will need a 2WD steering box, drop pitman arm, Pass. side X-over arm, Custom draglink. If you are going to get inspections with this truck "Full Hydro" will not pass. If you use "Hydro Assist" you might wanna consider "Matt" owner of www.westtexasoffroad.com he can do a hydro assist 1/2 priced of the AGR ****......Good Luck.........

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,999 Posts
I can't say this one for sure, but it might point ya in a direction to do some research on. An old friend of mine had a Chevy crewcab lifted damn high (18" or so I think) & I thought he said he used a chevy van steering box. Something about them being a bit longer to drop the pitman arm down a few more inches.
Like I said, I can't tell you this is true, & I havn't seen him in a few years now. Just something outta my memory that might be worth looking into.
I'd still do hydro assist either way.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
With 44s hydro assist is always a good idea. Crossover can be had fairly cheap for a D60. Talk to shaker. I wish I had gotten all my parts from him instead of just most of them :flipoff2: .
If you are going to get inspections with this truck "Full Hydro" will not pass.
As for inspections we dont have any except smog in SoCal. Dont know about NorCal. Either way dont even think about modifing the stock steering, either xover/assit or full assit.

Charlo

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
1) call ORD or rockstomper, get the x-over parts ya need

2) call West Texas Offroad and order matts hydro assist

3) Bolt on.

4) drive around town in a poser rig all the while shredding really nice tires on asphalt.

j

1 - 9 of 9 Posts