Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
foudn a caliper for a 88chevy G30 van... uses the pin bolts... the truck uses the 1.535 thick rotors too...

looks like a good possibility for a caliper... unless i can find a similar one in dual piston... however those chevy pins make it super easy to make a mount for

when looking at the first pic you can see that brake line location onto caliper is in a pretty nice spot too
Double and triple check those brakes for the G30 van. Those 1-ton vans came with either 3/4ton truck or 1ton truck brakes. What you posted look like the low-GVW calipers, and the 1.5" thick rotors indicate the high-GVW. Just saying double check for a mis-match in application ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
**update**

so i got the rotors today...#5980... 14.25 OD... 1.535" thick... let me just say they are MASSIVE!!!! holy chit i underestimated them... thickness per pad contact side is approximatley .5 inches(the outside finished face on the rotor) ... the 12.5 chebbies everyone uses are like .25 maybe .313....

anyways... there SO massive that im thinking they probably wont fit...

ok so heres the new bling... 14.25 inch rotor next to the conventional chevy 12.5"

they're THICK!

this is a chevy D44/10 bolt knuckle and hub...mounting the rotor itself takes no turning of the hub... it fits perfect... the stud holes are exactly the same size as the OE's

Frontal shot on the chevy 8 lug outers... ill admit... the rotor makes them look puny

the 8 lug chevy outers are do-able... its a bit more intracate to make the caliper bracket then it will be on the 14bolt

14 bolt... dropped right on the hub... studs go right through

lots of space in here

heres a straight down shot... the mounting will eb easy for the caliper

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
wheel mounting... these are 16.5's :cry (actually they measure 16" OD... tire says 16.5)... note this is some factory wheel... the backspacing is in the range of 4.5"

another

like 1"...i dont think the 17's are gonna make a difference... unless someone shoved a 16.5 tire on a 16.:shrug

no go for a 1/2 ton caliper... too tight

heres an on the floor shot... not a ton of clearance...

another...overall

im thinking they wont clear on a 17"... i need two things still... a 17" wheel w/ 4" backspacing... and the caliper...

we shall see... but im not sure if a rotor this big will fit the 17's... btw... wilwood quoted me on a caliper for a 14" rim... $425 EACH... and another 200 per caliper to make them fit the 1.535 rotor

enjoy... im not giving up... more to come...

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Man I hope this works out for you, Thanks for doing the homework, Im going to do this too if it works out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
zukizzy...thanks i was looking for that link

your running brakes just shy of 14"... got a part number or vehicle make/model?? they 8 on 6.5???... im gonna find them and see if i can use them... more on that soon

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
I am picking up some MRT 17" BL 2.5"bs today and I have a set of Monster BL in 17" 4.5"bs ...I'll measure both and post.

Cary

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
meaure the inside edge of the rim,... just inside where the tire bead will sit...

the ID of the wheel gets smaller as it gets closer to the WMS... at least on these it does... maybe a few measurements with pics

thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
anybody get a measurment on a 17??? im working on getting one too...

im really hoping we can squeeze one in there... that wheel measured 16" to the inside edge(where ID of tire would mount) of the wheel... its supposivly a 16.5, a 17 might work... ive got in the ballpark of 1.25" clearance there... just need more because the claiper sits in past that front edge of the rotor for the outer pad... and the ID of the wheel necks down the closer you get to the WMS

dc

21 - 40 of 88 Posts