Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
I am picking up some MRT 17" BL 2.5"bs today and I have a set of Monster BL in 17" 4.5"bs ...I'll measure both and post.

Cary

The 17" MRT's turned out to be 15":mad3: guess people can't measure ...and I will get the other rim neasured today..:laughing:

Cary

·
Registered
51 Posts
I finally got the brakes to a point where I could get a pic, gotta learn to fabricate faster.

These are for an early ford f250 front. They are replacing the factory 12x2 drums.

On this truck, I used 3/16 for the bracket because that was the most I thought I could fit on the mounting bolts which are fairly close to the rear of the hub, I then wrapped some pipe around the outer edge for rigidity. I mounted the rotor over the hub floating rotor style, after shaving down the hub diameter a little with the trusty angle grinder. The next challenge was to dimple it a little to get around the outside of the rotor. I used a 30 ton squasher, it was not quite nice enough to be called a press, and lets just say that none of the jigs or squashing adaptors came thru that experience the same shape as they started. I had to grind over 1/8th of an inch off the outside of the caliper to clear the H2 rims. On a normal setup where the rotor is on the back of the hub this would be less of a problem. The painted caliper is post grinding, the unpainted one pre grinding. Note that on this style caliper, the inner pad must be guided by the bracket, while the outer one fits onto the caliper itself.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Just dragging this back to the top to find out what calipers are being used now. Did you find a large enough sliding pin/bolt caliper?

Edit: Any dual piston versions?

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Did you find a large enough sliding pin/bolt caliper?

Edit: Any dual piston versions?
Looked at the 94-02 Dodge calipers? They take the 1.5"thick rotors. The early ones are single piston, the late ones are dual.

There's also a dual-piston version of the Dodge/GM KP60 calipers. They are found on the back of 90's 3500HDs that have the wrecker prep package.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Looked at the 94-02 Dodge calipers? They take the 1.5"thick rotors. The early ones are single piston, the late ones are dual.

There's also a dual-piston version of the Dodge/GM KP60 calipers. They are found on the back of 90's 3500HDs that have the wrecker prep package.
I'm somewhat confused, (easily done)... dual piston king pin 60 calipers are found on the back(?) of C&C 3500hd's with wrecker package? Would that not be a 14bolt caliper???? Dana 135?

Edit: Dana 80 maybe?

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
I'm somewhat confused, (easily done)... dual piston king pin 60 calipers are found on the back(?) of C&C 3500hd's with wrecker package? Would that not be a 14bolt caliper???? Dana 135?

Edit: Dana 80 maybe?
Yah, Dana 80... 10-lug axle. That particular Bendix caliper is also used on Chevy C60s and some other 2-5 ton trucks with juice brakes.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
i used a 2001 chevy rotor and 1/2T El Camino caliper inside my 16.5" wheels on a Volvo portal axle disc conversion.

if you need caliper brackets cut for a good price (do laser, you'll be glad you did) try Jeremy at Elite Laser (714) 667.1950 he did mine for $40 per bracket and I needed 4ea.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Yah, Dana 80... 10-lug axle. That particular Bendix caliper is also used on Chevy C60s and some other 2-5 ton trucks with juice brakes.
Like this? This will fit a Chevy king-pin D60 with stock caliper bracket?
http://www.cardone.com/English/club/members/customer/ecat_brands/imageinfo.asp?PARTNUM=18-4842

if you need caliper brackets cut for a good price (do laser, you'll be glad you did) try Jeremy at Elite Laser (714) 667.1950 he did mine for $40 per bracket and I needed 4ea.
Jeremy Kicks Ass!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Look those calipers up on rockauto.com, they have better prices and they list the piston sizes too.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
They list the pistons at 2.6" for RAYBESTOS Part # FRC11031
Stock D60 calipers are 3.375"

so...

the 2 piston calipers have 18.7% more area.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok...not a bad deal at $59 each from NAPA.
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...w/+Hardware+-+Left+Rear+(Semi-Loaded)+-+Remfd
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag.../+Hardware+-+Right+Rear+(Semi-Loaded)+-+Remfd

Their part number is SDC2422224 / SDC2422225

Any idea what size pistons they have?
I cruised by the local napa to eyeball these calipers in person, and I brought my bracket with me. It appears that they will fit my bracket, but are a bit taller than the single piston caliper, so will not help with wheel clearance. They are a massive heavy caliper, and one part number does left and right side. I would guess these calipers require 18" or larger wheels.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I was planning to use the 96 GM rotors with 96 F250 calipers and brackets for my conversion on my unimog 406's.

F250 Calipers. ($95 and up)

Brackets ($10.53)

I am using a HAD driveline brake on my 205 so I don't need rear parking brakes.

Great tech thread. I have been playing with the same numbers for a while in my own hunt for better braking on my disk conversion.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Great info. I am looking for a rotor that is machined on the inside so I can use it on the outside of my hub. The 01 Chevy is this way but I cant get a wilwood caliper for the 1.5" rotor. My theory behind the wilwoods is a great caliper with 4 pistons so I dont have to use a huge master. The 97 dodge is cast inside so I would have to machine it to work adn I am looking for a simple rotor swap. These are going on a Volvo axle also. Is the chevy rotor machined inside?

Toddy

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Be sure to check the working area of any caliper you might choose. Aftermarket calipers are made mostly for cars not trucks and have less working area then many stock truck calipers.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts