Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
Bringing this back, still work in progress, buggy not done so no MC sizing, pedal throws, or feedback yet.

I went with the 2006-2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4wd Diesel FRONT options

Ordered loaded caliper/slide assemblies and rotors. One rotor for all 4 corners, 2 lefts, and two rights. Calipers are the same just drilled bleeder for to put it at the top for each side...

Rear was easy on the 70HD with 14b hubs. Just knocked off the drum, had a small spacer cut to center the rotor on the hub, used this theme on the front as well.

The real PITA was getting the brackets drawn correctly to get the caliper and pad located properly on the rotor. Took a bit of trial and error.

And with stock backspace h1 wheels a ton of grinding for clearance is required. Not like running 15" wheels on a 60 grinding, but alot. A simple 1.5" spacer resolved all issues as a trial but i am not using them, grind away.

Only diff from front and rear brackets were the front i drew the center of the spindle pattern in instead of the rear axle tube diameter. The front has clearance to be clocked at 9' all the way to 12'

1/2" plate was used for the caliper brackets.

The front stock DRW rotor mounts were turned off, then the hub body turned down to allow a press fit of a new rotor bracket with the stud holes and rotor bolt retention holes. Barely enough room to sneak the welder nozzle in to lay a bead down too.

The front DRW D60 chevy hub castings are horribly un-true and required a ton of machine time to get them straight, i turned them further down to allow the same rear spacer ring to center the front rotors.

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
I gave Nalin400m my stock front caliper brackets and calipers, plan to draw up a simple spindle pattern steel puck to slide over his rear axle so he can use the large single piston setup from the front chevy d60 on all 4 corners.

Before it is asked i did not weigh any components...I can tell you they are much heavier. This is not a racing mod for sure if you are concerned with unsprung weight

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,213 Posts

·
NERD
8,636 Posts
This isn't that bad of an idea. Since they're 4 piston they wouldn't need to be floating calipers, but finding a rotor with 8-lugs, the correct diameter, and correct thickness I think is going to be the issue here.

I'll do some digging.
Did you ever find such rotors?

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,213 Posts
No I gave up. I have no need for a 14" rotor. I figured out my braking issue was MC size.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts