Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my last mountain bike when I was in the seventh grade and I still have it.. I am 30..

so.. anything is gonna be better than what I have. I would like to have disk brakes just cause I remember what a pain adjusting brakes and attempting to get the wheels straight enough for the brakes to work good etc..

I dunno what else, dunno if I really need suspension - I think it just robs your power. I will use it for some trails and an occasional commute to work (currently 10 miles each way hopefully soon 2 miles ea way).

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
currently looking at a GF utopia..

it's going to spend most of its time on the road/bike trails but I would also like to do some trail riding..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Whats your budget?
I'd get a Santa Cruz Nomad or Santa Cruz Blur4x. Both are full suspension bikes but you can set them up to pedal well. They have a small-medium amount of travel so they wont suck up your pedaling too much. What I love about the Blur4x is the geometry, low and flickable. My friend's large Blur fits me perfect and I'm 6'2".

-J

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, sounds to me like you just need "a bike".

The use you mentioned leads me to believe that a FS bike would be a "waste" of both the bike & your $$$. In other words - I'd suggest a hardtail.

As roadrunner86 mentioned, you didn't mention your budget, so suggesting bikes to look at is also a waste of time. What you'll find is each MFG has a bike that fits into a price point, the more you spend, the better the bike. If you're looking for a "real" mountain bike (not one that simply has the style or look) plan on dropping at least $600 on a hardtail bike. Less then that & you're buying a "trail" bike with cheap components & cheap frame that won't stand up to much off-road use - Which is what you're looking for, right? If you want to spend much less than $400, I wouldn't even bother shopping for a MTB namebrand, you'll find yourself paying for the name, not "good" components - go buy a "Next" at Wall-mart, it'll be as good as a sub-400 Specialized from a bike shop.

As for wanting disc brakes, again at a low price point, they're a gimmick not an advantage - V-brakes are more powerful & lighter than cheap mechanical disc's, and that's all you're going to find @ less than $500. The only meachanical disc brake worth a dam* are Avid's BB7's, and you won't find those at that bike price point. What you'll find are Hayes, Shimano & "no-name" mechanicals, and as I've already mentioned, as far as stopping power, you're better off with rim brakes.

As for what... well, they're all spec'd out pretty simular anymore at simular pricepoints. A $600 Specialized is going to be spec'd pretty much like a $600 Kona, or a $600 Diamondback, or a $600 GT, etc. What will be different is how it "feels" to you, & the main difference you'll really notice is how an aluminum frame rides compared to a steel frame. Weight's not really going to be an issue here, what is, is going to be how it rides. Most will tell you that an alum. frame feels "dead" compared to a steel frame on the pavement - some people like it, some don't, the only way you'll know is to go test ride a few differant bikes and buy what feels best to you.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My budget is in the $500 to $1000 range. I used to beat the crap out of my MTB, I must have went through 4 or 5 sets of forks, quite a few rims, etc etc. I don't doubt that I will have some good rough trail rides. I primarily want a good frame with "ok" components that can be upgraded. I won't be getting two bikes which is why I was looking at the utopia "hybrid."

The only FS bike I rode I hated, robbed too much from me but then I didn't too many of them either. I do want to ride to work occasionally as mentioned. I grew up in Cambria and there were some good trails there besided the nice ranch hillside that was right behind my house that I broke my arm on coming off a bluff - oops.

I'm looking for the do all bike I guess, and I realize that means a compromise on both ends..

Sizes SM (15.5") | MD (17.5") | LG (19") | XL (21") (Sizing)

Main frame Gold Series aluminum | Genesis 29" Geometry

Fork Manitou Empire Elite | 75mm travel

Headset Aheadset | Semi-cartridge | Sealed

Bottom bracket TruVativ ISIS GigaPipe

Crank Bontrager Select 48/36/26

Pedals Alloy platform

Front derailleur Shimano M510 Deore

Rear derailleur Shimano XT

Shifters Shimano M510 Deore

Cassette SRAM PG950 | 11-34 | 9spd

Chain Shimano HG73

Front hub Superstock Disc
Front rim Bontrager Ranger
Front spokes 14G Stainless Steel

Rear hub Superstock Disc
Rear rim Bontrager Ranger
Rear spokes 14G Stainless Steel

Front Tire IRC Mythos XC 700x42c

Rear tire IRC Mythos XC 700x42c

Front brake Avid BB5 mechanical disc | 6" rotor

Rear brake Avid BB5 mechanical disc | 6" rotor

Brake levers Tektro RS360A

Handlebar Bontrager Crowbar Select

Stem Bontrager Select | 10d rise

Grips Bontrager Race Lite

Saddle Bontrager Race Lux

Seatpost Bontrager Select

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah ok - now we got something to work with. :)

I guess if I were to start over again... now... I'd seriously look into 29's instead of a 26" MTB's or hybrids. I think 29's have some inherant advantages over 26's (kinda like running 31" tires or 35" tires on your 4X4..) & IMO hybrids are really more street oriented - more cyclecross than MTB.

Maybe something like Fisher's Cobia?http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=trail-29er&bike=Cobia

FS bikes have really made huge improvements with the platform tech of the new shocks, but the spring rate & pedal platform threashold has to tuned into your riding style & weight - something few bikes shops will take the time to do for a mear test ride, so I'm not surprised you got a bad impression - they really do pedal like a hardtail when they're tuned in. If you were looking to do alot more dirt riding, (like an 80/20 split) I'd really try to talk you into a FS bike, but then again you're looking at spending ~1500 to get into a "decent", upgrade worthy, FS bike IMO.

Anyway, if I didn't have already have 3 26" MTB's, but was looking for 1, "do all", new, MTB, I'd really take a hard look at 29'ers. Check out MTBR for a good list of MFG's that are making 29s now - more & more MFG's are jumping on the 29 bandwagon every year - it's the coming thing. http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/29er/

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that one I posted is a 29, and really.. the split is 20/80 if not even more street..

It's like putting boggers on my daily driver that never sees the trail, looks cool but really.. makes more senst to put on AT's..

I'll check out the Cobia..

I weigh a lot more than I used to (bout 190) but another goal with this bike is to lose some weight ;)

There are a few good shops that I think will be helpful, I'll do some test riding fo sure..

I've actually read some good things about that utopia..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Brandon said:
that one I posted is a 29, and really.. the split is 20/80 if not even more street..
gee... I hate to disagree with you, but you'd better look again.

The Utopia uses the "genisis 29" geometry, but it has 700c rims (roughly 27", in other words road rims - like in road bike, think Tour de France), not 29" rims, which are genuine MTB rims - not road rims/wheels. 26's & 29's will take a beating off-road, 700c's won't.

You'll find every hybrid bike uses 700c rims - that's why they're called "Hybrids" (MTB like frames with road wheels = hybrid).

edited 2 add

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Brandon after thinking about this for a few moments, I didn't want to give you the impression I was poo-pooing the idea of a hybrid. Actually they might be the perfect bike for you & your planned use.

I've just run into a lot of people that think hybrids are MTB's, when they're really road bikes that look like an MTB & won't take a bunch of off-road abuse. (ever seen pics of a cyclocross race with the guys carrying their bikes up & down stuff?) Just as long as you know what you're getting into is all.

Frankly I'd rather ride a tank on the street (& I do too - I'll typically ride my 42lb hard-core freeride Stinky Primo when I go for put-put rides with my kids on the bike paths, rather than my relatively lightweight Jamis. It makes me work harder when I'm riding at the speed they ride) than be limited when I go to a trail because my bike might not take the pounding. In other words, If it were me, I'd rather ride a MTB on the street & be fully capable the few times I may hit the trail, than riding a very road oriented bike and always be afraid of breaking something (rims) when I hit the dirt, and that's where my input's coming from. From how you say you rode the wee outta your last MTB, I was thinking you should be on another MTB that does something well, rather than a bike thats a true compromise at everything. Hybrids aren't street & they're not dirt. They're... well, hybrids lol...

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
my last bike was a mongoose though LOL

I need to go to a shop n check em out, the idea of a hybrid sounded good just cause I would like to commute eventually. As hard as I rode that thing I gotta think even a hybrid is gonna be better..

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Descalzo said:
yeah ok - now we got something to work with. :)

I guess if I were to start over again... now... I'd seriously look into 29's instead of a 26" MTB's or hybrids. I think 29's have some inherant advantages over 26's (kinda like running 31" tires or 35" tires on your 4X4..) & IMO hybrids are really more street oriented - more cyclecross than MTB.

Maybe something like Fisher's Cobia?http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=trail-29er&bike=Cobia

FS bikes have really made huge improvements with the platform tech of the new shocks, but the spring rate & pedal platform threashold has to tuned into your riding style & weight - something few bikes shops will take the time to do for a mear test ride, so I'm not surprised you got a bad impression - they really do pedal like a hardtail when they're tuned in. If you were looking to do alot more dirt riding, (like an 80/20 split) I'd really try to talk you into a FS bike, but then again you're looking at spending ~1500 to get into a "decent", upgrade worthy, FS bike IMO.

Anyway, if I didn't have already have 3 26" MTB's, but was looking for 1, "do all", new, MTB, I'd really take a hard look at 29'ers. Check out MTBR for a good list of MFG's that are making 29s now - more & more MFG's are jumping on the 29 bandwagon every year - it's the coming thing. http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/29er/

I'm diggin the cobia, I test drove the tassa something or other today, I actually spilled it on the test ride making a bit too hard of a turn in the parking lot ha ha ha

·
Registered
10 Posts
Brandon said:
I'm diggin the cobia, I test drove the tassa something or other today, I actually spilled it on the test ride making a bit too hard of a turn in the parking lot ha ha ha
LOL! :shaking: now... Jump the curb! Jump the curb! lol...

A Tassajara? What'd you think about that? Did they actually let you ride a Cobia? (lol... I say that 'cause my brother was shopping a year ago & they wouldn't let him take it out of the store). I don't think you can go wrong on a Fisher, I had a Hoo-koo-e-koo that I rode for years (whoever stole it is probably still riding it as well lol) Fisher - tuff stuff! Pricey, but good.

Another piece of wisdom (for whatever it's worth)- when you went in, they probably sized you for a frame - yes? Before you actually buy one, ride the next larger frame, esp. if you're thinking about buying a "purebreed" MTB. Riding a theoretically too large a frame is nice on the road, esp since you're going to commute on it. The Diamondback I ride to work everyday is a 22", while my "dirt bikes" are a 20 & a 20.5. You don't really need all the standover on the street, & I really like the larger frame's handling on the road & it's still OK for trail use as well IMO. Try it out.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
well I got short legs so even the 17.5 only has about an inch crotch clearance - technically even the 17.5 is a "size up." I drove both the 15 and 17.5 and the 17.5 was definately nicer, I felt all crouched up on the 15. Guess I could try the next size up. As for the Cobia they didn't even have it so I haven't ridden it. The tassajara was nice but I like the idea of a bigger tire for a bit more top end etc. It's not much more $$, actually a tad lower components but I can always upgrade if needed (doubt I'll need it).

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Brandon said:
well I got short legs so even the 17.5 only has about an inch crotch clearance - technically even the 17.5 is a "size up." I drove both the 15 and 17.5 and the 17.5 was definately nicer, I felt all crouched up on the 15. Guess I could try the next size up. As for the Cobia they didn't even have it so I haven't ridden it. The tassajara was nice but I like the idea of a bigger tire for a bit more top end etc. It's not much more $$, actually a tad lower components but I can always upgrade if needed (doubt I'll need it).
I was looking at the Tass 2 years ago, but upgraded to the HooKooeKoo, but the Tass is what I was going to suggest to you. I am 5'10" and the 17.5 seems perfect for me...I ride it mainly on dirt, and am a wuss, so it sees more abuse from me leaving it out in the weather than anything else. I like the geometry, and quality.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
went to another shop today, they thought a 15" cobia would be best, since my crotch sits at about 30" and the 17.5 cobia sits at 29.8, the 15 sits at 28 or so.

Might order it this week..

·
Registered
10 Posts
wow, nobody's got a Cobia in stock yet? That's kinda wierd.

So is 30" a real inseam or a pant inseam? Pant inseam's different from bike inseam, though everyone likes to use pant inseam. Like you mentioned I liked the bigger cockpit for commuter use & can't stand-over the 22" I ride - and like Kirby Palm once said about frame size, "Stand over's only important for people that spend alot of time standing over their bike instead of riding it" lol... Then again, the DB's not my only bike, maybe a 17.5 would be pushin it

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Just get cyclo-cross bikes ,proper tire size (700c) great for commuting and wide(cushy) enough for the trails

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Descalzo said:
wow, nobody's got a Cobia in stock yet? That's kinda wierd.

So is 30" a real inseam or a pant inseam? Pant inseam's different from bike inseam, though everyone likes to use pant inseam. Like you mentioned I liked the bigger cockpit for commuter use & can't stand-over the 22" I ride - and like Kirby Palm once said about frame size, "Stand over's only important for people that spend alot of time standing over their bike instead of riding it" lol... Then again, the DB's not my only bike, maybe a 17.5 would be pushin it
Yea, it's a pretty real inseam. On the tass 17.5 I have about an inch and a half if I lift up the frame. The stand over on the cobia is an inch taller so I only have about a half inch. I hear what ya say though which is why I am having such a hard time picking the right size - I wish I could ride em both..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts