Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,580 Posts
Brandon: I dunno, man. Don't want to come out of left field on this, but if you think you'll do any trail riding AT ALL -- and, trust me, you will -- I'd spring for a full suspension bike from the get go.

You take any of those hybrid bikes down a typical MB trail and you won't do it again :p

You need to ride a current full-squish bike to see what I mean. As long as you stay in the saddle, the suspension won't activate. It's when you stand up that you get suspension bob. It's critical that the bike is sized correctly so you can stay in the seat and pedal.

Hell, man, if you want a hardtail, buy used. I've got a late 90s Raleigh M80 hardtail that's spec'd pretty nicely I'll sell you for $150. One I got my full suspension bike (05 Rocky Mountain Flow FS), I never ride the hardtail.
d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
even w/a 10 mile each direction commute on asphalt to work? I've been looking for ones with lock outs but at a grand you don't find too many and I don't want to spend more than that..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,580 Posts
You don't need the lockouts, man. I'm not talking about department store bikes, but real spec'd full suspension bikes. The suspension on a 4- to 5-inch travel bike won't activate while you're pedalling on the saddle.

Buy used. Bikes are like anything else ... they don't hold any value.
d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
who pedals on the saddle? Usually the only time I am sitting is when I am coasting on something flat

I'll try em but I don't know what is under a grand for a full suspension bike worth anything..

Used I guess..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Brandon said:
who pedals on the saddle? Usually the only time I am sitting is when I am coasting on something flat

I'll try em but I don't know what is under a grand for a full suspension bike worth anything..

Used I guess..

Guess I haven't ridden in a while :shaking:

I just rode about 10 miles, owwwww my butt..

Anyway, checked out a few more bikes and I am leaning back toward the cobia..

The full suspension bikes suck at a grand
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,580 Posts
I used to race BMX, so it was hard to change styles to pedal sitting. You have to, though, to get the most out of the bike. You still stand for drops and jumps and whatnot, but mostly sit.

Agreed, you won't get a new FS bike for $1k that's worth a damn. I wouldn't hesitate to buy used, though. Lot of bang for your buck.
d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
i know you are probably pretty well set on a hybrid, but a 29'er is the way to go. I have been meaning to build up a surley karate monkey but just cant get the money together between my downhill bike and my truck.. 29inch is the future :smokin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
bignate said:
i know you are probably pretty well set on a hybrid, but a 29'er is the way to go. I have been meaning to build up a surley karate monkey but just cant get the money together between my downhill bike and my truck.. 29inch is the future :smokin:

the cobia I am looking at pretty seriously is a 29er :cool2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Blatant said:
Brandon: I dunno, man. Don't want to come out of left field on this, but if you think you'll do any trail riding AT ALL -- and, trust me, you will -- I'd spring for a full suspension bike from the get go.

You take any of those hybrid bikes down a typical MB trail and you won't do it again :p

You need to ride a current full-squish bike to see what I mean. As long as you stay in the saddle, the suspension won't activate. It's when you stand up that you get suspension bob. It's critical that the bike is sized correctly so you can stay in the seat and pedal.

Hell, man, if you want a hardtail, buy used. I've got a late 90s Raleigh M80 hardtail that's spec'd pretty nicely I'll sell you for $150. One I got my full suspension bike (05 Rocky Mountain Flow FS), I never ride the hardtail.
d

whatya think of this vs the 29er?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/131390090.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
bignate said:
don't get a giant ds. they are real cheap and it will crack on you within 6 months. I had one right when i started riding and cracked it in three weeks.

good to know "all signs point to the cobia" :grinpimp:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,153 Posts
My 2cents

Just ride :D


So whats wrong with your old 'goose anyways ?

The V-brakes are SO much easier to set up than the old U-brakes.......

It might be worth it to do some small upgrades to your old bike while you shop for a nicer one.......

I still have my 91 stumpjumper, along with my newer bikes.........

Get new street tires, new brakes, a new seat and your old bike could be made to hit the bike paths again. New complete wheels can be very cheap too.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It's fully rigid, 15 years old, and it's really too small. I'm still riding it, I just figure 15 years is a long enough time to have a bike and it's time to upgrade ;)

I don't know what makes a bike fast but just test riding a new bike made mine feel sloooooooowwwww
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,153 Posts
Brandon said:
It's fully rigid, 15 years old, and it's really too small. I'm still riding it, I just figure 15 years is a long enough time to have a bike and it's time to upgrade ;)

I don't know what makes a bike fast but just test riding a new bike made mine feel sloooooooowwwww
If its to small, then toss it :(

New bikes/parts will ALWAYS make you faster :grinpimp:

edit: .............. Its like that old saying, speed costs money:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Brandon said:
I have the same frame currently for sale after getting my new bike...included is that same rockshox rear shock, Judy C front fork, specialized crankset w/ 3spd front, 9spd rear cassette, mavic rims, dia compe v-brakes...

I am using the bars, shifters, and deraillers and chain for my new frame.

anyone interested for a couple hundy?
 
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Top