Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick run out to Grand Junction to hit Billing Canyon with some friends from Kansas and Co Springs
http://www.trailseeker.com/gallery/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=26734

It was cold and raining, but a super fun trail.

Excellent Signage

33"s seem on the small side...

Gate Keeper (no rock stacking)

Corbin showing off

Jake letting the new suspension work...

Scott finding traction in the wet sand

Vance's big CJ making it look easy

More to come

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dave getting it done

Scott K with the YJ buggy

John's XJ clearing the group

Big air

This is a little un nerving with a 6' drop on the passenger side

Cool CJ action

I reached a new level of a-hole-ness with my rock cricketing here..

(The MT/Rs did not like the wet sand.... I was helping to point that out)

Tight line

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Here jakes was having some fuel issues

Had to winch him flat, pull him forward and pop the rear diff up with the hi lift. Interesting recovery....

Overall pretty fun trip. My camera died about halfway through, but the sun did come out for an hour or so, Took a solid 7.5 hrs to get 8 vehicles through. Only breakage was a sway bar mount, one rear driveshaft u joint, one battery and some random fuel issues.

Managed to get through only winching the smaller vehicles that were close to the front of the group. As the rocks dried it got easier. Still a difficult trail, this is the first time I drove it without further body damage. The narrowing the front clip and 42"s makes it pretty nice.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Good lord Vance's rig still looks as nice as it did when I lived down the street from him some 5 years ago. Clean, simple and it works. Does not look like it has changed much if any either.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Curious as to how Billings compares to BV Carnage or Indy? Easier, same, or harder?

We (group of 3) ran BVC and Indy this past weekend and had a blast. No one on the trails (surprising considering it was the weekend) and we covered BVC in 4 hours on Sat and spent about 6 hrs on Indy Sunday. I would have some pics but my camera died.

Cool pics, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Curious as to how Billings compares to BV Carnage or Indy? Easier, same, or harder?
I'd say it's about the same. All three of those trails are good fun. :smokin:

Looks like the access road was pretty muddy.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The roads were certainly muddy.

Vance's rig was cool, and he drove well. Like to see the 60 under a Jeep.

Bronco -- also very cool, I believe he was the cover shot on 4 wheel and off-road when we did UA05 (Inphobic on PBB).

Rear axle is certainly a low pinion. Not sure which housing. Pretty sure an after market third.

I know Jake built the front himself not sure who's housing it is... (I am sure I could search my inbox).

I would rate the trail slightly easier then Carnage BV or Indy -- there is nothing comparable to the exit on Patriot.

On BV the v notch is more difficult then anything on Billings. I also have a heck of time making that tight left corner on BV unless its perfect conditions.

However that is the cool thing about Billings is you can drive a medium modified rig (37"s, lockers) the whole trail with some minor stacking and careful driving. If you go to bigger tires, you can actually avoid all stacking and just drive the whole thing, but there are some very difficult optional lines to keep you interested.... Very similar to the Montrose trails really.

The signs are awesome. That little gate keeper notch has several "no stacking" signs and a lot of the rocks have been removed. (However over time erosion and water flows bring back some).

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
right below that 'gatekeeper' obstacle there is a little sign to the right of the pic-- from here we only see the white back side-- what does it say on front?

looks like an awesome time!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How about SW?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95

I posted over there. Maybe if we get some threads going, that would fuel the fire.

Not to mention, I would like to wheel more.
(has been an ok year though, have done Holy Cross, Blanca, Chinamans, Carnage BV, Die Trying, Cactus Ridge, Billings, Scratch N dent, Pritchet, Behind the Rocks, Spring Creek, Kelly Flats, Argentine Pass, Wheeler Lake, Slaughterhouse/Crow Gulch about a dozen times, Cadomin Quarry (Canada) but that is less then 30 trail runs...)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts