Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 386 Posts

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Time to cut up my 1999 Chevy Suburban. It's a 3/4 ton, 6.5l turbo diesel, 4l80 trans. The truck was originally owned by by a local ambulance company, and was used as a first response EMT truck. I picked it up in non running condition, at auction in 2010. After a few quick checks I found the PMD was fried, no real surprise on a 6.5. I installed a Heath Diesel remote PMD kit, and its run like new ever since.

Up to this point I have added 285/65/16 tires on 3500 steel wheels, trimmed the fenders to fit. Built my own bracket and added a second 120A alternator. Installed a pyrometer, boost pressure, and trans temp gauges. Built my own stainless exhaust from the downpipe back, cat and muffler delete.

Two builds that are similar to what I am doing:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy/989322-z71ton.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy/788003-start-94-sas.html

One goal for the truck is a solid axle conversion. Seems to be the standard first modification on these trucks :laughing: I already had a Dana 60 in my old plow truck. It's a 1997 F350.

I have spent the past few years gathering parts for the swap, many came from other PBB members and vendors. Used, build leftover, open box or on sale whenever possible.

Pulled the 60, stripped it down.

Its a little crusty but I think I can make it work

Blasted and painted the housing.

Replaced everything that moves, and swapped out gears for 4.10s to match the 14B Full float rear. I'm going to leave the diff open for now, until funds allow for an air locker

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
One reason why most guys dont use these axles is the ball joints and lack of flat tops. Fortunately swirvin21 sold me a used Dynatrac high steer knuckle that was machined for a Ford. It was already set up with a D44 style arm.

I reamed out the hubs to fit 14x1.5mm studs to match the rear. The first set I tried had too long of a shoulder. Those were for an 88+ 14 bolt, like DMANbluesfreak used. When I fitted the wheel center I couldn't tighten the lugs all the way.

The answer was right in front on me the whole time, front studs off a 99 3/4 ton Suburban. A perfect fit, but forgot to take a picture.

Offroad Design brackets in bare steel, I had them powdercoated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice to see some people going for it and ax'ing the ifs. I have 3 friends that have spent more time talking about it than it would have to actually do it. Good luck.

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice to see some people going for it and ax'ing the ifs. I have 3 friends that have spent more time talking about it than it would have to actually do it. Good luck.
I'd be lying if I said I didn't talk about it a lot :laughing:.

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to run an old school brake setup, with one hose in the center of each axle instead of one hose at each wheel, less chance of rub-through on a tire. Welded a few tabs on the housing near the knuckle, and a mounting stud in the center.

Front IFS out!

Hangers in

Using 47" springs. I picked up a used set of Rough Country? 2-3" springs from Chance E, they seemed a bit stiff. Then found an set of 2.5" Superlift springs, which may be a bit soft. So I went with the Superlift springs, we will see how it works out. Can always swap them out, or build a hybrid pack later.

Dana 60 ready for its new home. RuffStuff cover came from kentuckytwostep

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did have to chop an ear off the downpipe flange to clear the rear spring brackets.

Truck lowered down onto the axle

All bolted in.

Wheels on

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Rear shackle flip

Rear axle moved back 1"

RuffStuff 14B simple swap kit picked up from RokinRubi,

For the steering I used a Ford pitman arm, from 68crawler. Ford uses 4 blind splines while Chevy uses 3.

Filed each one so the arm will fit in any position.

Reamed out to fit a Chevy tie rod end.

Reamed the arm also

Using the 2nd hole in the arm because it measures closest to the length of the pitman arm.

·
Registered
51 Posts
looks great I will be following this I am starting mine tomorrow using almost all the same parts.what size tires ar you planning on using?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Those superlift springs will be surprisingly stiff. Cool build, keep it comming. I love how you have new powdercoated brackets bolted to a completely rusted frame :D

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks great I will be following this I am starting mine tomorrow using almost all the same parts.what size tires ar you planning on using?
Surplus 37 MTRs, they are in the background of some of the pictures.

Those superlift springs will be surprisingly stiff. Cool build, keep it comming. I love how you have new powdercoated brackets bolted to a completely rusted frame :D
Actually those springs turned out to be way too soft :laughing:, will post up some pictures later, need to upload them first.

The fresh powdercoat and rust give a nice visual contrast. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice build man, i plan to SAS my 94 pickup soon. starting to gather parts now. Planning on using the ORD brackets/hangers too. Ive got a lead on an NP208 Tcase from a buddy, i just need to scratch up some money -.-

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice build man, i plan to SAS my 94 pickup soon. starting to gather parts now. Planning on using the ORD brackets/hangers too. Ive got a lead on an NP208 Tcase from a buddy, i just need to scratch up some money -.-
Yeah, I spent quite a while gathering parts. Helped spread the cost out a bit, and I found a lot of good deals along the way.

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Time for the brakes. I'm not a fan of ABS so I got rid of it.

Since I'm keeping the rear drums for now I plumbed in a proportioning valve from a Chevelle. I replaced all the tubing from the master cylinder out with cupro/nickel. Great stuff! I will never have to worry about rusty lines ever again.

Front caliper hoses are for a late 70s F150 2wd, swapped side to side and flipped over.

Front center hose is a rear for a Dodge W20

Mounting tab welded to the frame

Rear hose if for an 06 Chevy 3500, flipped forward and relocated to the center of the axle

Everything has plenty of slack at fill droop and is in no danger of kinking at full compression.

Aligned up and ready for a test drive!

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took the Suburban out for a ride around the block, it was kind of like driving a waterbed :laughing:. No shocks yet, so I was expecting a lot of bounce, but it felt washy. Pulled back in the shop and found the front springs had de arched after a mile or so of street driving.

Plan B. I pulled apart the used Rough Country Packs, cleaned out the rust, sprayed everything with Fluid Film and reassembled.

Installed, and drove the truck again. Much better, no wobbles, like it should be.

And no sagging :D

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Its a small trailer I made out of leftover square tubing, Cobalt wheels/tires/hubs. Holds the top portion of a HF engine crane, which I can swap between the trailer and the standard folding crane base. Fenders flip up out of the way when in use.

Comes in handy, and is road legal, unloaded of course.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/18469705-post5.html

Edit: since we are off topic what happened to the '48 thread? I was looking forward to seeing it built, 4wd or not.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Its a small trailer I made out of leftover square tubing, Cobalt wheels/tires/hubs. Holds the top portion of a HF engine crane, which I can swap between the trailer and the standard folding crane base. Fenders flip up out of the way when in use.

Comes in handy, and is road legal, unloaded of course.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/18469705-post5.html

Edit: since we are off topic what happened to the '48 thread? I was looking forward to seeing it built, 4wd or not.
Thanks for the info, definitely going to get to the drawing board and build one. I do a lot of moving stuff around on dirt and gravel, so this would work great for me.

As for the '48 I started the thread in the IH section and by the responses I got I figured the IHC locals didn't want to see it. From a few of the responses I gathered it was mainly because it wasn't 4WD and Im not going to wheel it. Id love to document it, I just didn't want to waste mine and everyone elses time. Since then I have made somewhat of a game plan, more of a work/tow rig and yes it will be 4WD :). So maybe one day Ill start a new thread.

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info, definitely going to get to the drawing board and build one. I do a lot of moving stuff around on dirt and gravel, so this would work great for me.

As for the '48 I started the thread in the IH section and by the responses I got I figured the IHC locals didn't want to see it. From a few of the responses I gathered it was mainly because it wasn't 4WD and Im not going to wheel it. Id love to document it, I just didn't want to waste mine and everyone elses time. Since then I have made somewhat of a game plan, more of a work/tow rig and yes it will be 4WD :). So maybe one day Ill start a new thread.
No problem, it works great for moving stuff around the yard, or as an extra hand to hold something up.

Will keep and eye out for the '48.

Back to work

I swapped out the 246

For a 241. Wired in the VSS, and started to remove all the extra wires, module and switch.

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
looks good

BTW and LBZ fits really nice in replace of that 6.5 and is direct bolt up to the 4l85
Thanks.

Yeah, the G vans came with the dmax-4l80 combo. If I were to swap in a Duramax, I would do an Allison instead.

Most likely I will do a Cummins 12v swap when the 6.5 finally :nuke:

1 - 20 of 386 Posts