Pirate 4x4 banner

261 - 280 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Mike, you could also utilize slider boxes instead of shackles. That would enable you to be a little lower as well. No shackles means no gained height for the extra flex you're looking for.
Billy, the bagged link setup might be the best way to go for you. You can use your lower link as a mezzanine type setup and get long travel with a bit shorter bag.
Imo rear steer would go a long way on both of these rigs if it weren't for towing duty.

·
bobbing for fries
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Mike, you could also utilize slider boxes instead of shackles. That would enable you to be a little lower as well. No shackles means no gained height for the extra flex you're looking for.
Billy, the bagged link setup might be the best way to go for you. You can use your lower link as a mezzanine type setup and get long travel with a bit shorter bag.
Imo rear steer would go a long way on both of these rigs if it weren't for towing duty.
So it would be more like a trailing arm setup? Or am I misinterpreting what you meant.

I keep thinking about rear steer, but like the bag setup it may be more hassle to use on the trail than its worth. But it is tempting . . .

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/2160921-streetable-rear-steer.html

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Depending on where you mount the bags. If you mount them over the axle, it will be a traditional triangulated 4 link. If you move the bags forward and mount them on the lower links it will be more like a mezzanine setup than a trailing arm being the lowers are triangulated instead of straight, and you're going to have upper links instead of having a Panhard bar for axle side to side location. At least I'm assuming all of this is the route you're taking. You can use lower travel bags to get yourself more travel at the axle. This all depends on what your motion ratio ends up being. I'm guessing you could end up being at a 1.5:1 pretty reliably. The cantilever setup could net you even more travel like a 2:1 motion ratio much easier and with less consumed real estate. This again is all guessing since I've never really looked at the rear end of a 90's style suburban in that light before. It could be all futile, and you need to cut up sheet metal to make it all fit either way.

·
bobbing for fries
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #264 (Edited)
The bags on that Cj have around 14" of travel, and there is enough room to mount them over the axle. The issue I see is the length of the lower links. Maybe a curved tube like the Cherokees use would work. Or a fabricated lower arm with that kind of shape to it. With a fabricated arm I could run the bags at almost any point along the arm.

Edit: Actually the rear setup wouldn't be much different from Bark Beetles crew cab. Maybe I'm just over thinking things
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy/1081277-chevy-crew-cab-c3-truck-build.html

Attachments

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I'm not too keen on the bent lowers idea, maybe if you went 2.5"x.25 Dom you could bend it and not suffer any issues, but 2"x.25 Dom shouldn't be bent on rigs as heavy as a full size,imo. But the fabbed arms aren't a bad way to go, they could be very promising.

·
bobbing for fries
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
I was thinking at least 2.250 x 0.375 on the lowers for straight links. You are correct in that a curved link may be too weak.

·
bobbing for fries
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Another 14 bolt followed me home. This one came out of an '03 3500HD, factory rear disc and a more similar width to the my front axle. Plans are to overhaul, re gear to 488, and shave. Hopefully this one doesn't puke fluid on the highway like DMANs does.

Torn down and all the brackets torched off. I have a TMR 15 bolt kit sitting on the bench, and waiting for the gears to show up.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Does your old 14 bolt have 4.88's? If so, and you're willing to part with them, I may be very interested, if they are for a 4.10 and down carrier. My new tire size is scaring me into believing my Trans isn't going to last long. Fwiw,my 14b also puked fluid at highway speeds, but I think I over filled it, because it eventually stopped. I've never had an issue on my 08 hd, and it's been rebuilt twice now.

·
bobbing for fries
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
No, the current set is 410. I want to jump up to a larger tire like yours, and while everything is apart it seemed like a good time to prep for that.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
OK, had to ask lol. How did you like the 37's and 4.10 combo? I'm dreading not going 4.88 when I had my axle apart, but at the time I didn't realize I was going bigger tires so quickly. It would be easy to redo the front since it's not fully together, but I have no budget for the rear yet, so I'm running it as is until I can get the rear setup.
What kind and size tire are you thinking?

·
Registered
361 Posts
OK, had to ask lol. How did you like the 37's and 4.10 combo? I'm dreading not going 4.88 when I had my axle apart, but at the time I didn't realize I was going bigger tires so quickly. It would be easy to redo the front since it's not fully together, but I have no budget for the rear yet, so I'm running it as is until I can get the rear setup.
I absolutely love 4.88s and 37s, 1st and 2nd are fun gears and its just in the right range on the highway where it doesn't down shift much at all. 80mph is right at 2500 rpm.

·
bobbing for fries
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
Its been fine so far, those surplus tires only measure 35" tall. With the low end torque from the diesel I really haven't noticed any performance difference at all. For tires I'm looking at 39.5-13.5-16.5 IROK radials. I put up a few want ads for a used tire to mock things up, but haven't had any bites yet. Second choice was a 41.5-13.5-16.5 Rocker radial, but after doing some measuring it looks like they will rub my springs at full lock. 3rd choice would be a true 37" tire.

I still plan on doing a Cummins swap, but I need to finish the house project first. A 40" ish tire and 4.88 gears should be about right.

Lookin good buddy! Can't wait to see where you go with the links.
Thanks! Its more thinking out loud at this point.

Stop by next time you are in town.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I would rethink the irok Radials. They have pretty weak sidewalls from what I've read. The pit bull tires are supposedly one of the best Radials out there for sidewall strength according to my readings as well lol. The mad dog definitely wasn't my first choice since it's not a great mud tire, but better for rocks and snow, but the price was spectacular, and will give me a chance to get my rig tested out on big rubber. I think the rocker would be a great choice for the terrain you roll around in, but kind of a bummer that the 41.5 won't fit. I don't think their 37 is a true 37" tire either. On gl4x4 there are a bunch of sets of tires right now, and I believe there are a set of irok's and rockers both for sale. You may be too far away to make the deal worth it though.

·
bobbing for fries
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Yeah I've read about the weak IROK sidewalls but most of those posts are older, not sure if they have been updated since :confused: Most guys around here dont care for the Rockers, I guess the rubber compound is too hard? IROKs seem to be more popular. Then again all I have to compare to are J**ps.

From what I have read on here, newer posts, is that those two tires actually measure up to what they are supposed to be off the vehicle.

Thanks for the tip! Will have to check out gl4x4.

·
bobbing for fries
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Working on the shave, I made a ghettofab jig to locate the bottom of the axle tubes.

Measured down 3⅛" and made a line.

Rigged up a "water level" and set the cover face 6° up from perpendicular.

Hit it with some spray paint to mark the cut line.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
Another 14 bolt followed me home. This one came out of an '03 3500HD, factory rear disc and a more similar width to the my front axle. Plans are to overhaul, re gear to 488, and shave. Hopefully this one doesn't puke fluid on the highway like DMANs does.

Torn down and all the brackets torched off. I have a TMR 15 bolt kit sitting on the bench, and waiting for the gears to show up.
I fixed that issue!!! I just moved the breather to the axle tube (drilled and tapped for an NPT hose barb and then blocked the old breather). Never had an issue since then and I always had it at the proper fill level.

Then, I sold the shaved axle and swapped in an 02 2500HD rear axle for the integrated e-brakes. Still doesn't puke fluid, but I also didn't do a shave kit - I only shaved the lower lip off.

Does your old 14 bolt have 4.88's? If so, and you're willing to part with them, I may be very interested, if they are for a 4.10 and down carrier. My new tire size is scaring me into believing my Trans isn't going to last long. Fwiw,my 14b also puked fluid at highway speeds, but I think I over filled it, because it eventually stopped. I've never had an issue on my 08 hd, and it's been rebuilt twice now.
You will have trans issues with 39s/40s. It may not be soon, but you will have problems.

If you don't care about overdrive, swap a TH400 in that bad boy. Cheap and bulletproof.

Working on the shave, I made a ghettofab jig to locate the bottom of the axle tubes.

:D:D:D

·
bobbing for fries
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
I fixed that issue!!! I just moved the breather to the axle tube (drilled and tapped for an NPT hose barb and then blocked the old breather). Never had an issue since then and I always had it at the proper fill level.

Then, I sold the shaved axle and swapped in an 02 2500HD rear axle for the integrated e-brakes. Still doesn't puke fluid, but I also didn't do a shave kit - I only shaved the lower lip off.
Good to know! I will try it with the breather where it is. If it starts self evacuating then I'll move it to the tube.

I like how you're doing your shave Billy! Very nice approach.
I wouldn't call it nice, but thanks! :laughing: Hopefully everything lines up in the end.

261 - 280 of 386 Posts