Pirate 4x4 banner

361 - 380 of 386 Posts

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #361 (Edited)
Not a chance lol. It still looks like 1983 on the outside, going for a much older feel. Late 1700s early 1800s

We should be making some trails this summer if all goes well, tight off camber stuff.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nothing to speak of. Still the same excuses as the last post :flipoff2:

Finally hauling my shit down to the new place. I would have been better off burning it down and starting fresh.

New batteries, and injection pump. Other than that nothing has changed. Really getting sick of the 6.5 but the swap is going to have to wait a while longer.

Looking for a 32 spline input for a 203. If anyone has one pm me.
I have always had trouble starting the engine, to the point that I was seriously considering going to a LB7 or 6BT swap asap. PMD was a problem like always, but after I got a custom tune that deleted the Passlock completely as well as advance the timing and other stuff, it as definitely breathed new life into the engine.

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
Finally back at it after a short break.

Finished up the NV4500 overhaul, with all new bearings and synchros. Also swapped in a Dodge input shaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
YES! looks great, keep this up. Can't wait to see this thing with a 12V. I'm considering swapping out my 6.5L when it blows for a 12V or early LB7. Still haven't decided. I've seen many swaps, but most don't

In other burb news: I know you've shown interest in adding a tank. I got my fuel sending units for my tahoe tank addition, I'll document it well. The tank doesn't quite fit under the truck; the crossmember interferes with the tank so I'll have to do some minor fabrication to get it tucked up there. Your 5 speed cummins station wagon on 37s with 72 gallons of diesel tucked underneath would be mighty impressive.

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
Interested to see what you come up with on the fuel tank. Its on the long list of things to do. As is heading out your way for a donor body, time hasn't been kind on the old girl.

Dicked around a bit with the parking brake today. I'm trying to stick with normal off the shelf parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
The pinion brake idea crossed my mind, but i still have a slip yoke on my 241. Why didn't you go with the eldo conversion? To cut down on spaghetti connected to the axle?

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
Eldorado calipers would be a downgrade. They are prone to failure and are difficult to find when you need one. Plus the driveline brake keeps everything tucked up out of harms way.

The rear end is being swapped out for an AAM 10.5 which has larger brakes and dual piston calipers. Gears and locker from the 14 bolt will swap over.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
The AAM 10.5 has factory drum-in-hat parking brakes too. Curious why you don't just use those since they're already there.

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
I want to try and make this work just because.

The drum in hat brakes dont live very long in this environment, but it is plan B if the driveline brake isnt successful.

·
Registered
88 Posts
awesome! Glad to see it back under the knife. Mine should be running this week hopefully, Hammers is way too close for comfort.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Back from the dead again and finally making some progress on the rust bucket. The 6.5/4l80 are out. Custom ORD springs are on order, and I picked up a new set of shoes
Interested to hear what you think of the ORD springs. I just installed a set under my K5. I went with king 2.5 shocks, but still have to figure out the mounting. I'm impressed with the springs out of the box, but the arch looks to be more than advertised, so i'm hoping they settle out some becasue my rig got TALL.

·
bobbing for fries
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
awesome! Glad to see it back under the knife. Mine should be running this week hopefully, Hammers is way too close for comfort.
Well did you get it going? :flipoff2:

Interested to hear what you think of the ORD springs. I just installed a set under my K5. I went with king 2.5 shocks, but still have to figure out the mounting. I'm impressed with the springs out of the box, but the arch looks to be more than advertised, so i'm hoping they settle out some becasue my rig got TALL.
They should settle after some use. Any spring will

·
Registered
26 Posts
Love your build. I believe that the Suburban is the best all around vehicle that a person can own as a DD. I've had an 05 for like 12 or so years. All stock DD I'm lame. You have proven they can wheel. Well done sir.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well did you get it going? :flipoff2:
hahaa not yet. didnt have quite enough time. End of this week though. gotta do all of the chores I had been putting aside for the last few weeks to get it done.

I added a removable tube crossmember under the motor mounts to keep the frame a little tighter and to allow for oil pan removal.

I like the WFO frame plates, I'll be adding those as well when I re-do my shock towers and add a crossmember to tie the towers together.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,246 Posts
Love your build. I believe that the Suburban is the best all around vehicle that a person can own as a DD. I've had an 05 for like 12 or so years. All stock DD I'm lame. You have proven they can wheel. Well done sir.
I know some guys in Central IL that can help you fix the "stock" issue :laughing:

361 - 380 of 386 Posts