Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for an inexpensive, but reasonably made bipod for a savage 308. Prefer sling swivel mounted.

I'm too cheap to pony up the cash for a Harris as it's going to be mounted on a kick around gun.

Opinions?

·
Registered
15,273 Posts
If it's gonna get THAT kicked, Fawk it, just use a folded up blanket. :)

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's gonna get THAT kicked, Fawk it, just use a folded up blanket. :)
Impossible to forget a bipod if it's attached.

The blanket, however, will probably be left in the linen closet.

It's a savage axis. It's an inexpensive shooter that will not do much more than hit soda cans 100 yards away.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Yup wallymart for the 6-9" one. Its a copy of the harris and you wont know the difference except that you did not overy pay for a "brand" name.
Its the same as stoney point also, before winchester started to have china make it with their logo.
I have used them for close to 15 yrs myself with never a problem.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Yup wallymart for the 6-9" one. Its a copy of the harris and you wont know the difference except that you did not overy pay for a "brand" name.
Its the same as stoney point also, before winchester started to have china make it with their logo.
I have used them for close to 15 yrs myself with never a problem.
While they may work, there is a reason why competition shooters and professional marksman worldwide have been using the Harris. Chinese knockoffs are rarely as good as the real deal. Buy Chinese if you are on a budget, but plan on replacing it if you run it hard.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I have a craptastic ATI universal sling swivel mount bipod on my "sport" mosin Nagant. In a pinch it will do, not my favorite, but if you just want a cheap one it works fine.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
While they may work, there is a reason why competition shooters and professional marksman worldwide have been using the Harris. Chinese knockoffs are rarely as good as the real deal. Buy Chinese if you are on a budget, but plan on replacing it if you run it hard.

Harris is nice , but if you really use your shit check into Atlas... But your gonna pay about $220 For it... I have a 110 BA Savage .300 Win Love the Harris. But Still isn't the top of the line. But very stout and around $90.

·
III
28,132 Posts
Wal Mart bipods are fine IF you don't care to have your gun level or do any precision shooting. There's a reason a Harris is a little more money. For a 100 yard gun, the cheapo's are fine. You can keep the Atlas and their 6 month wait time. I had one, it was gone after two days.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
WalMart bipods are worth the $20 you spend on them.
They work when fully retracted, and they work when fully extended and the legs click open. They are marginal at best for intermediate heights.

For a kick around gun, if a $20 bipod fits your needs, go for it.
I keep one in my range bag, and it beats the shit out of a rolled-up coat.
Especially when it's cold out and I want to be wearing my damned coat!

I'm guessing your question wasn't "what is the best bipod that money can buy for my customized $1,200 rifle with $1,500 in glass and $400 in mounts".

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
They work when fully retracted, and they work when fully extended and the legs click open. They are marginal at best for intermediate heights.

I'm guessing your question wasn't "what is the best bipod that money can buy for my customized $1,200 rifle with $1,500 in glass and $400 in mounts".

Mine is More 2100 in Gun , 1100 in Glass , $80 in mount. Harris works fine but I was getting at that there is better..

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Harris is nice , but if you really use your shit check into Atlas... But your gonna pay about $220 For it... I have a 110 BA Savage .300 Win Love the Harris. But Still isn't the top of the line. But very stout and around $90.
I really use my shit, which is why I chose Harris. The Atlas is sweet, but slow to deploy, which is an important factor for the matches I shoot and the hunting I do.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
$3200 in gun, $1800 in glass, still has a Harris. :) Where's that one up thread.

there's nothing wrong with a harris unless you are the type that needs to have the latest gadget. i have no need or desire to switch to an atlas. i'll stick with the 6-9 br-s harris that has worked flawlessly for years.

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

$350 Savage Axis in 308 with the glass (simmons) that was factory mounted on it (combo gun).

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
I am of the belief that there are some things you just shouldn't go cheap on. Especially if they are not that expensive to begin with. Maybe my perspective is skewed, but to me $100 for a bipod you can use on several different guns makes good sense. I don't have a problem with spending money on an optic either, because they can always be re-centered and mounted on something else.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
i just picked up a 6-9" caldwell with the pivot for 50 today at bass pro shops. seems to be a nice unit. will work great for coyote hunting.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
Looking for an inexpensive, but reasonably made bipod for a savage 308. Prefer sling swivel mounted.

I'm too cheap to pony up the cash for a Harris as it's going to be mounted on a kick around gun.
$350 Savage Axis in 308 with the glass (simmons) that was factory mounted on it (combo gun).
Exactly my point. Get the WalMart bipod. :laughing:
If I'm wrong, you can publicly flog me, and you're only out $20. :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts