Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WONDERING WHY LANCRUISER CV JOINTS GET THE SPECIAL NAME "BIRFEILD" ? SURE DOESNT SOUND JAPANESE TO ME... WHAT GIVES?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
This has been discussed widely on other forums and the LCML... from what I remember, it was simply the name of the subcontractor that was making them for Toyota. Anyone verify this?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Don't Volvo portals use them, too?

And since Volvo is european, wouldn't that mean that it wouldn't be the supplier, it would be the design itself?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Stock birfs. even say Birfeild on the side of them. I guess it could be a design but makes more sense to put the name of the manufacture on the side of a part rather than the design style... Who knows?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
yeah, can't remember it right now, but Mr. Birfield aws one of the inventors of this type of CV joint..

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: BiRFEILD?

MD11Fr8Dog said:

Do Google searches on GKN, birfield, CV, etc!!

FREIGHTDAWG, THAT WOULD BE WAY TOO MUCH WORK. WHY DO THAT WHEN I CAN ASK YOU CRUISERHEADS? ;)

MATT

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Accoring to the website that MD11Fr8dog posted, Birfeild was an early British company, so it got its name from the sub-contractor of the product. This also tells us why GKN is printed on later birfields...

Good Work Sean:D

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts