Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has broke some? Tell us about the rig (tire size and locker) and the context (rockcrawling, wheel hopping, etc.)

I just bought some Longfields but a guy in my local forum told me it was unecessary on my rig (35 inches bfg mud with locker).

Is that an investment or a waste?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Who has broke some? Tell us about the rig (tire size and locker) and the context (rockcrawling, wheel hopping, etc.)

I just bought some Longfields but a guy in my local forum told me it was unecessary on my rig (35 inches bfg mud with locker).

Is that an investment or a waste?
If you buy them you will never have to worry about the part braking. Good investment IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
My opinion depends on what type of locker you run, if its a lunch box locker in the front expect to break more birfs. But stock Mini birfs can hold up real well with 35's depending on the way you drive.

·
Premium Member
4,941 Posts
Depends more upon the nut behind the wheel.:homer:

My minitruck birfs survived behind 5.0L TBI and SM465 with 35s and no locker. But I'm far from abusive on my rig.:shaking:

But you also need to take into account drivetrain and age. Unless you have new birfs in there, they are 20-30 years old with lots of miles on them.

I cost a guy a birf when he was pulling me out. He was backing up very gently pulling and the birf let loose. V8, SM465, 35s, and no locker in front also. Older gentleman who never was abusive either.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
not a waste at all! Good investment...

(I will refrain from making comments about the person who told you that.) :D

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i dont think it is a waste of time either,have broke one backing up and a little to much gas not locked and another locked and in rocks running 37s.went with longs after haveing to do this on the trail twice

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
spending money and working on your rig is never a waste of time. Always upgrade when possible.

Best thing will be that you can get more aggresive with driving style or line choice and see what it'll do without always worrying bout them birfs.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
2 brif in 20 feet 180 to 1 with Det front welded rear and 38-1450SX's on 12 in wide wheels 30 spline longs and no more problem :smokin: also broke a stocker on a muddy 2nd gear hill climb :grinpimp:

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I've got the 30-spline long kit in the front of mine....37's, locked, etc....hydro assist and no steering stops....WELL abused and not yet broken....they've survived my complete lack of driving skills

quit counting the number of stock LC and mini birfs I broke with 33's....got good at the early generation Newfields too....

good investment

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I broke one in reverse with the wheel cut on 35's w/ an ope diff. put in longs and forgot about it. Now ive had 37s and 38s and been fine. If you like pulling your knuckles apart on the trail then dont get em, but if you like wheelin on your trips then its cheap insurance. Definite must IMO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts