Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend is running 36x14.50 super swapers on his fj40 and keeps braking the shaft on the birfield. they and the corase spline ones. are the newfields shafts stronger or just the bell part? and does anyone eles have this problem? also his bolts that hold his double steering arm on keep shearing. any help on a fix is greatly welcome.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The course spline birfs. have a much smaller shaft than the fine spline birf. the newfeilds do have the same size shaft as the fine spline but are a much stronger than the course spline,In order to run either of these though you are gonna have to switch to the later model L.C. or toy pickup disk brake setup because the shaft will not fit through the course spline spindle.

·
Registered
324 Posts
eg, you come by my house and I'll give you an extra course spline birfeild.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Sounds like it's time to upgrade to mini-truck knuckles. The studs retaining the arm are larger than the old drum brake knuckles, and the associated larger spindles fit the newfields. Plus you get discs!!!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Changing the knuckles will require changing the hy steer arms. The bolt pattern is different.

Mike "SpaceGhost" Smythe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts