Pirate 4x4 banner

161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm part of the Mid-Florida Jeep Club up here in Daytona Beach and we usually go to Hard Rock Off-Road Park over in Ocala. They have some great trails for here in Florida. Love your jeep and thta dash is wicked I'm wanting to replace the dash in my yj cause its ugly as hell with all the plastic. Love the coil-overs, I also have coil overs and long arms on my yj.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Great looking build! I think you will enjoy the dash. I have had nothing but issues out of mine and you are right, it is completely in the way. We just tore my whole dash out and I am having a new one built.

I would recommend maybe a lexan shield over your gauges. One of my issues if pressure washing the inside and huge mud clumps coming in and hitting my gauges. They are a pain to clean and if you do not wipe them right they scratch really easy. Our plan is to recess my auto meters and have a clear lexan piece infront of them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Alien - Shoot me a PM next time you all are heading up to Ocala. I'd like to tag along if your club doesn't mind.

Joshua - Thanks. I have be tossing around different ideas on how to protect/cover the gauges during any mudding or pressure washing. Since the dash is metal, I was thinking about using Lexan or plexiglass with magnets to make it easy to take on and off.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #164 (Edited)
Cage update - Started friday night and here is what it looks like Sunday night. I was working by myself so it was kind of time consuming for certain things. The seats are just in there for test fitting, nothing is mounted yet. I used 6 - 20ft sticks of 1 3/4 x .120 DOM so far. I have to order another stick to finish a couple of minor stuff. But here it it so far...

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't know man... Seems like you should throw that one away and start over. I'll even come up and take it off your hands, cause I'm a nice guy. Looks damn good.

·
Thats enough coach.
81 Posts
Cage update - Started friday night and here is what it looks like Sunday night. I was working by myself so it was kind of time consuming for certain things. The seats are just in there for test fitting, nothing is mounted yet. I used 6 - 20ft sticks of 1 3/4 x .120 DOM so far. I have to order another stick to finish a couple of minor stuff. But here it it so far...

Damn....you started on Friday worked by yourself and finally stopped on Sunday Night? If I did that I MIGHT have the 2 main hoops and B Pillars made....So very very cool. :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Haha - thanks guys. I have about 22 hours in it so far. I've been thinking of a simple and easy way to mount the seats and still have them adjustable. I am 6ft and my gf is 5' 4" and I want her to feel comfortable driving it. I will be making some mounts in the next day or two. I will post pics as soon as I start.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Cage update - The extra stick of 1 3/4 and 1 1/4 came in today so I finished to cage tonight. All I have left is the seat mounts and the front pillar tie in's.

In order to be a "perfect cage" I should have put more triangulation across the jeep and front to back. For what I am using it for this will be more then sufficient.

·
Thats enough coach.
81 Posts
How heavy can they be?

This is slowly becoming my favorite Pirate Build Thread. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #174 (Edited)
So after my post the other night about triangulation i decided the "engineer" in me to add something else. I made some small supports to help. I might add something else....still thinking about it. The problem is any sort of X brace or larger supports start to get close to my head and/or kill any leg room for the back seat.

Also another thing that has been killing me is the floor in the back of the Jeep. My last suspension setup had the coilovers coming through the floor so when I changed suspension setups I then had huge ugly holes in the floor. I sheared and bend a piece of sheet metal to cover the whole deck. I will tac and glue the floor in place before I get the tub Line-X'ed next week.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Heres what I came up with for the seat mounts

Got the cage out and all welded up. My buddy Steve TIGed it together for me. I was going to just MIG it but my buddy steve is a awesome welder and offered to TIG it for me so I went for that. He welded as much as he could in the Jeep and then we pulled it.

Jeep is all ready for Line-X tomorrow.

Dad jumped in for a quick pic.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #180 (Edited)
Here are a couple photos from a Jeep Weekend at a local park, Redneck Yacht Club. This was the first time with the new setup that I got to really test everything out. Everything seemed to work awesome. The only thing I wasn’t a big fan of is when I would climb a decent incline the front suspension seemed to flex out a lot. I think I might add a middle limiting strap to the front and rear about 6" from full droop. So the whole axle wont drop down, just each side when of camber. I had all ready welded a tab on the front axle incase I need one, so now I just have to add a cross member to tie the strap to the Jeep. I also ordered some Fox air bumps to throw on.

Got stuck

161 - 180 of 206 Posts