Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying one of these little crap boxes, can't beat the price. Anyone done one of these up that is worth a shit? I thought doing the usual to it: big bore kit, little head work maybe, reeds/rad valve, jets, pipe, blah blah blah. I have heard the suspension and steering on these things blow which probably explains the prices. I'm 5'8 and don't know if I can get this thing to a point where I could really have a good time on it. I like bikes myself but I wanna do up a 2 stroke quad for the sand pits/dunes but money's always a problem. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a 2 stroke sport quad that I could pick up somewhat cheap? I don't wanna buy some beat to crap Banshee, 250R, etc. for what I can spend. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got a blaster that is pretty quick, and fun for little bike, its got a big bore kit, pipe, basically what you said. My main gripe is the size, its so short, but the power to weight ratio is pretty good. another plus is parts are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Size is the big thing. I'm not a big guy, but they are too small for me. Also, I don't know if the newer blasters have disc brakes, but all of them I have seen have drum brakes all the way around.

They can be built to have fun with, but I think you might be better off finding a 250r or an LT 250. Around here they aren't that much cause they are old.

Another thing to consider if you can live with a 4 stroke is a kawasaki mojave. They are fun little quads and have disc brakes and are slightly bigger than the blasters.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
disable the oil injection unit and just mix your fuel...ask me how I know.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has drums if I remember right. The general idea I get from listening to people is they are a disposable quad. I'm not a huge guy so the size isn't the biggest factor. I might buy it just because I don't have a ton of money to spend and I trail ride on dirt bikes most of the time anyway.

You can't really find a good deal on a 250R around here unless you want the 3 wheel version. Every one I see for sale is built to race and is going for over 3-5 grand. The LT 250s are around but they are getting kinda rare. Anyone have an opinion on the old Tecate 4 250? Easy to get parts?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
If you can find a tecate, pick it up. From what I have been told by a friend who used to have one is that they were supposed to be faster than the 250r's and LT250's and be in a slightly smaller chassis like the Mojaves are. I guarantee that the Tecate wouldn't even be remotely in the same class as a blaster, it would be like trying to race on a blaster against a 250r or something.

Have you actually ridden a blaster? Like I said before, I'm only 5'11" and the blaster feels really cramped to me. But a friend of mine has a Mojave which is only slightly bigger than the blaster but I feel much more comfortable on it. I guess each person has their own preferences on things like that.

·
Registered
233 Posts
the tecate motors are awesome stock against stock they will destroy any other 250 out there butt.
the handling on these machines is scary at best. dont know why
rode one in the sand it was not that bad butt i was warned against it in the dirt.predictability not a strong suit. i guess
look into the three wheeled versions honda yam or kawi all good in the sand and cheap alot more comfy than a blaster.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
We bought my wife a new blaster about 3 years ago. Up until about 6 months ago we had acres of trails right in our backyard. I used to ride everyday and ragged the piss out of that thing. I rode it way more than she did. I broke all the usual shit on it, lights, bumpers, etc. and flipped it a million times, but that thing is still running strong and completly stock besides the air filter. I'm 6'4" so it is definitely small for me, but it's way light, so that makes it fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts