Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight...I installed a new pump, cooler, filter and a tapped box and clylinder to my XJ. On start up, I felt pitman off and the assist cly. unhooked . I filled the res. and spun wheel back and forth thru complete range...shut off added a tiny bid of fluid, and that's all she'll take. Give me bleeding tips...please.:mad:

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
I don't know much about hydro steering, but is it a one way filter? Make sure the flow is the right direction. I assume the lines are new and not clogged. I would start disconnecting lines and make sure you are getting fluid to both sides of the cooler and so forth. I dont know if you can bleed them like regular ps systems. With that, you ust leave the cap and yurn the wheel back and forth till the res. stays full.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Well I have done a few and you are close but here are a few tips. One you must cycle the steering to the stop and hold it against the stop for about a second so that the ram will partly extend. I don't know what way the ram is hooked up so it is up to you to figure what way to turn the wheel. Once extended then start filling but only part of the way to keep from getting too much air in the system. Keep extemding and filling but don't over fill too much because once you turn the wheel back there will be more fluid due to the amount that the shaft of the ram displaces. The key to it since you have nothing hooked up is turning all the way to the stops and giving the wheel a little extra so that you create pressure in the line.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Sometimes on really stubborn bleed jobs, unhooking the cylinder from the tierod helps a bunch--just let it free-cycle (keep cycling the steering) from end to end.

Also, I've had really really really impressive results from Valvoline synthetic power steering fluid--doesn't foam, doesn't bubble, bleeds completely out amazingly quickly. No affiliation, and it's probably the same situation with any brand, just the Vline is all I've tried thus far.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I'll be setting up my hydro in the next week or so and the guy that lived in my house before me left a big 2 gallon can of Ford hydraulic fluid in the garage. Would this be better to use than power steering fluid or is ps fluid the best stuff for a hydro setup?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys...I got this all worked out Thursday and did'nt have time to post....I was headed out that afternoon with EasyXJ to the Badlands. I pulled the ram out by hand...I had left it unhooked and the pitman arm off to cycle. As soonas I pulled it out some...she sucked the fluid up and I used Valoline Syn. and cycled it apout 30 times....it worked great all weekend. The added cooler and filter, along with a longneck filler....worked killer. I'll post a pic or 2 shortly, Thanks guys :flipoff2: .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts