Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two teen agers were killed by fire here last year when they backed over a gas well head in the Choke Cherry Glade near Farmington.
They were in a sedan in daytime on a cleared well pad near a competition/play area.
This tragety is no doubt one reason for these new restrictions during local competitions. Another reason surely being to help prevent harm to tundra due to haphazzard parking jams.
So come over and enjoy our area, but be aware there is danger near our thousands of area high pressure gas well heads.
Once those kids hit the well head and opened the pipe nothing in the world could have saved them.

Press Release ***
Farmington Daily Times
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Headline: "BLM prepares for rock crawl event

FARMINGTON The Bureau of Land Management will place restrictions on some areas of the Glade Run Recreation Area during the first week of April to increase safety at a rock crawling event.

The Glade Run Recreation Area is public land managed by the Farmington office of the BLM.

April 4-5 is the UROC rock crawling competition. This is the second time the commercial, national rock crawling event will be held in the Glade. UROC stands for "United Rock Crawling and Off-road Challenge." Last year the event was held in the Glade during October.

The BLM is expecting as many as 5,000 spectators, many who will be from outside the area and unfamiliar with oil and natural gas facilities throughout the Glade. The BLM is putting restrictions on some areas during the competition and oil and gas companies may also restrict access to some of their facilities in the interest of public safety.

UROC pays a fee to the BLM to receive a temporary special recreation permit for a commercial event on public lands.

"Restrictions will be for the safety of the public and protection of the natural and cultural resources," said Farmington BLM recreation planner Rich Simmons.

Restrictions in the Glade will begin at 6 a.m. April 4, and continue until noon April 6.

"We want people to be aware that this is an oil and gas field and there are dangers out there," Simmons said.

The BLM will have a designated parking area for spectators and another for competitors. Only pedestrians will be allowed in the competition area. There also will be a designated camping area.

A map showing the competition area and other designated areas is available at the Farmington BLM office at 1235 La Plata Highway."

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Thanks for the heads up John...

Does this mean our support vehicles will be in the boonies with the trailers??

BTW- Casey is going to meet me in Tulsa with your axles Wed PM- They'll be with me at Mom and Pop's or reg. Glad I can help.:D

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I seriously doubt the parking restrictions pertain to crew support/haul vehilces, Ken.
They are just trying to get a handle on the spectator parking problem.

And, thanks for bringing the axels from WMS, I will owe you BIG TIME!:beer:

·
Registered
19,412 Posts
This is just a small taste of things to come. The FEIS for the Farmington District LRMP is due to be released, and one of the big changes is going to be the virtual total elimination of the "open" designation. Part of why this is going to happen is the total lack of participation by the wheeling/OHV community at the DEIS and scoping levels. I spoke with the head guy at the Farmington BLM office on the final day for DEIS comments, he had a small handfull of comments from OHVers and wheelbarrow loads were still coming in from the eco-nazis.:mad:

Edit: The future of competition of this nature IMO lies with the private land owners like Avalanche Ranch. It will become impossible to do any new obstacles/trails without a full blown NEPA/EIS process in the near future, partly due to the misbehavior of a few and the apathy of many.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts