Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just won't start. Checked spark, first by sticking screwdriver in HT lead, holding screwdriver close to engine, crank, nice spark on all leads. Also checked for spark at all plugs...no problems there.

Fuel pump is working fine...spurts fuel all round the engine bay when you crank it with fuel line disconnected from carb. So fuel going to carb. Still doesn't start, choke is closed, so working. Fuel gets pumped in when at full throttle by the accelerator pump. Had a spare carb, so swapped them over...still nothing.

Prised open timing belt cover, and belt seems OK. Turning fine...took rocker cover off...everything seems to be OK...everything goes up and down nicely while cranking.

So:

checked for spark - OK
checked for fuel delivery carb - OK
checked valves/belt - OK

took out spark plug and cranked...could hear sucky/blowy noises...smell of fuel, but not sure how much I should be able to smell?

Please help me, I spent all of Friday evening until 3am working on this bloody thing...4pm till 1am on Saturday, and a few hours on Sunday morning and the damn thing won't bloody start! Starting fluid an idea?

The thing is, when my clutch dies at Brick Kiln offraod course a few weeks ago, it still ran fine...I had it idling at the side of the road for an hour to keep warm while waiting for the AA...

Please help!

edit: can I just point out that in England, the AA is the Automobile Association, not Alcoholics Annoymous....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any chance you could be a bit more specific? The thing is it was working fine unti I blew the clutch....and it was idling fine after the incident.

It then sat on my drive for 3 weeks until I got the clutch/drive train fixed.

Now it won't start...if it was the timing, wouldn't it even try to fire at some point, just now idle....but there's absolutely nothing not even trying to fire...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone have any ideas? I think I'm going to not waste my time and stick in the 1600 I've got waiting for me...

Just in case anyone's interested, the plan is to build a 1600cc TC quad carb motor: recipe provided to me is as follows:

Take large mixing bowl.

Add:

1x 1600 Bottom end and internals
1x 1300 Swift Twin Cam Head with SUZUKI fast road cams
2" exhaust manifold from MR J.Speed
4x 36mm MIKUNI carbs from a motorbike of your choice
1x make your own manifold kit from MrD.E.Montweeks
1x Swift TC Dizzy
2x Cupfulls of Bolts
Some gaskets

Mix well and cook an gas mark 4 for a couple or weekends...

7500rpm equates to 140bhp with an 8500rpm redline hur hur hur...

sound pretty good, any one built something similar before?

·
Registered
915 Posts
have you tried replacing the starter? or checking the starter wires? you gettin juice from your battery? your altanator still good?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The only other thing to check is compression...

also, you might try just checking the timing while cranking (this probably won't work, but it could help).

Send me an email to killerspud_ut at yahoo.com (just swap the @ in), and I will send you something VERY usefull.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
email in the post...although with me sticking the big block in, I don't know how useful it'll be!

·
Registered
65 Posts
set your 1 piston on top dead center then
take out your Distributor !
aim the rotor at the 1 cylinder put back together
but dont tighten the nut fro the dis
start your mortor wile graduly rotateing the dis for ignition.
if that dont work rotate the dis 180% and then try again;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts