Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 89 XJ has a blow by problem that most of theses XJ's do. It doen't have a ton of miles on 115,000 or 120,000 can't remember right now. The blow by is extremly annoying and I think it's cause a loss of MPG. Can I just replace the rings on this engien since it has fairly low miles. I wouldn't think a complete rebuilt would be in order. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Is your motor a 2.5L or a 4.0L??

I have a YJ with a 2.5L with the same problem and i am also wondering what to do

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
You can, but if it's a 4.0 it's just as big a bitch to do one set of rings as it is to do the rest. You're probably going to end up having to pull the engine and once you do that you might as well rebuild.

J. J.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
If there is enough wear for excessive blowby, it is not just the rings, it is also the cylinder walls. You can put new rings only in it if you really want to, but you may end up with a worse problem than you have now. 120,000 on a 4.0 is about rebuild time anyways.

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: JeepinIan USA ]

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, I have the 4.0 and from what I've been hearing you might as well do a full rebuilt.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Might not have to rebuild Here you guys go.

I had some blow by. I pulled the valve cover and cleaned all the baffles on the breather holes in on the cover I didn some other stuff that I can't remember and now I have no blow by.

I have 146,000 original miles on my 4.0 1990 XJ

Check this link out. http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/xjtech/engine/40ltr/blowby.htm

·
Registered
44 Posts
check out www.jeepnorthwest.com in the cherokee section. they have a good writeup about blow by. Unless your motor is losing power and burning oil, the rings probably don't need to be replaced.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A last resort if nothing else works ...

This doesn't work for me as I have the 4.2 (1987, pre-FI), and anyway my problem is very likely the rings as I have already cleaned out the valve cover from the inside out and replaced some hoses, PCV valve, etc.

So as a last resort, I attached a very long hose to the breather in the back of the valve cover, and ran it all the down past then engine, under the frame, and just over the tailpipe. The oil still leaks, but now it's nowhere near my engine and most of it burns off on the hot tailpipe when I park it.

Too much of a jerry rig for my taste, but it'll do until I have the time to rebuild the engine - or swap in the Chevy SB. In your case, I'd try the other fixes first, of course, but if it doesn't do it maybe this will buy you some time before the rebuild.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts